PDA

View Full Version : Please Spay or Neuter

Craftlady
08-03-2005, 06:00 AM
A female cat can get pregnant as young as four months old and have three litters of kittens in one year. In seven years, starting with 1 unspayed female cat + 1 unneutered male cat this can result in an offspring of 420,000 kittens...

I did not know the above so thought I'd pass on this worth while information.

catnapper
08-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Yup, if you stop to think the average female can have a litter of 4 kittens at elast once a year, and THOSE kittens have 4 or 5 kittens at least once a year. Then the original mama has more kittens the following year, as do her kittens and her kitten's kittens... it amounts up fast.

But too many people think it won't happen to THEIR cat.

At one recent adoption event, we had a woman PROUDLY tell us she'll never spay her female cats (forget the reason, I was too floored). Are you surprised we refused to adopt to her?

Laura's Babies
08-03-2005, 08:46 AM
ONE person, spaying or neutering their animal could save COUNTLESS lives over several years..... So many less to end up homeless, in kill shelters or in the hands of irresponsiable pet owners.

They think that beacuse they have homes for all their kittens that the ones those produce will be so lucky....:mad:

catmandu
08-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I HAVE TRIED,TO HELP,AND HAVE TAKEN SCRAPPY 2,POUNCETTE,AND NOW GEMCHARCOALKARINA,OFF THE PORCH,THOSE POOR CATS,TWO,OF WHOM,WRE EXPECTING.
AND THERE WERE,BE THAT MANY,FEWER KITTENS,UNWANTED FCAES,ON THE PORCH,TO WORRY OVER.
THAT WOULD SOLVE SO MANY PROBLEMS,THESE PEOPLE,WHO WANT,THE RIGHT,TO HAVE PETS,NOT NOT THE RESPONSIBILTY,OF THIER CARE!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/SCRAPMIK.jpg

Anita Cholaine
11-03-2005, 10:53 AM
We didn't spay Anita, actually (we were so wrong...) It's not so common to spay dogs here, but I will definitely spay my next dog... Do you think she's too old to be spayed? (she will be 4 in January)

Flatcoatluver
11-03-2005, 10:58 AM
We didn't spay Anita, actually (we were so wrong...) It's not so common to spay dogs here, but I will definitely spay my next dog... Do you think she's too old to be spayed? (she will be 4 in January)
:eek: never!!!! Dog that are to old to get spayed are like 12. but that's because it's dangerous for that old to be in sergery anyway.

JenBKR
11-03-2005, 10:59 AM

Nope, she's not too old!

Luckily she's female - we think that Roscoe was about 3 1/2 before he was neutered (before we got him) and we have some behavioral problems with him because of it. We're working through it with a trainer.

I got both cats spayed as soon as I could. It's so much better for their health too. :)

QueenScoopalot
11-03-2005, 11:23 AM
It's never too late to spay/neuter a pet. In the long run, the more heat cycles Anita endures, the higher her chances become for developing uterine cancer, mammary tumors, pyometra (better have lots of $$$ set aside for that life or death emergency)...not to mention unwanted puppies that occur too frequently. :rolleyes: My itty bitty rescued long haired chihuahua was six years old (at least) when I got her, and she was spayed as soon as she was plumped up a bit. A woman I know had a cat that gave birth at 18 years old! :mad: Only one kitten, but I was shocked to hear the cat was never spayed. :eek:

Randi
11-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Before having a cat, I never really thought about it, and I remember when the other cat people, who lived in the bulding, said that Fister's mom had to spayed - I felt rather upset about it. Well, we live and learn. Of course, I'm SO happy that it didn't happen until after Fister was born. :)

I don't think many realise just how many unwanted kittens are born. :( Let's hope that more people get this info and learn from it!

moosmom
11-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Until the laws change making it MANDATORY all pets be spayed or neutered, some people will never learn. Another thing that is so sad, is some cultures think spaying or neutering is inhumane. :(