PDA

View Full Version : What fruit is bad?

NICHOLLE1978
02-26-2002, 11:26 PM
I heard it is good to train you dog with pieces of fruits and veggies. But I also heard there are some that are bad for the dog. I am training with carrots and dried papaya and my dogs would kill for it. When I walk to the freezer (where I keep my carrots and papaya) They run. It is crazy. Does anybody know what fruits are totally bad for dogs. I would like to incorporate more and different dried fruit into their diets.

Nicholle

Dixieland Dancer
02-27-2002, 11:13 AM
They also love bananas and apples!

jennifert
02-27-2002, 11:19 AM
I've just heard that peach pits are poisonous but I haven't heard of any other fruits or veggies being bad for pets...

Logan
02-27-2002, 11:31 AM
I don't have the facts in hand right now, but I have just always heard to avoid onions and grapes/raisins. My girls love seedless grapes, but when we have them, we only give one or two at a time. And there are NO onions in this house! I hate them!!! :D

Albea
02-27-2002, 11:47 AM
I remember some time ago I posted advice, that I found in a magazine, against giving avocados to the dogs. You may never have thought of this as a treat, but just in case...
It looks that what you are giving them so far is harmless.

NICHOLLE1978
02-27-2002, 09:33 PM
I have stopped buying commercial treats because when I train and reward, I can only give him a few of the commercial brand treats small treats if I give him too many he has diarrhea for a day or so. I read that papaya is good for the digestion and thought I would try it. I can give him more and we are both more productive with the training. It is great I just do not want him to get bored. Variety is good, right?

Thank you all

Nicholle

shais_mom
02-28-2002, 01:18 AM
I just got a new book today and this little booklet was with it called "Pets at Play 60 Super Toys, Tricks and Treats for your dog". There is a section about treating, and it says
FRUITS: Most dogs have a sweet tooth, and the enjoy an occasional piece of fruit as a snack. They like dried fruits such as figs, dates, prunes, raisins, and apricots as well as fresh apples, oranges, grapes and berries. It also says you can use hot dogs, like turkey dogs or meatless hot dogs. It says cut them in 1/4 in slices and micro them for 60-90 sec until crispy. Or veggie burgers. Dogs love the meat subsitute burgers. Pop one in the toaster to mix in with his usual fare or a meal in itself. Just don't feed this to them as a major part of their diet. It also said you can use meat rolls (that you can find at the petstore), edible chew toys, and dog biscuits just try to find the ones that contain unnecesessary preservatives and colorings, or make your own. (which is alot of fun to do for your dog, I really enjoy doing it,myself)
Keegan loves green beans, and sometimes I just quarter an apple and give her some.

aly
02-28-2002, 01:26 AM
You guys have some good eating dogs! My dogs spit out fruits and vegetables :rolleyes:

NICHOLLE1978
02-28-2002, 01:31 AM
Thank you so much:). I am too afraid to give them just anything. That was extremely helpful. I am very strict when it comes to eevee, bucky and asahi's diet. I just do not want them to become sick or overweight. Troy's mom had several dogs that died from complications caused from being overweight. It is weird I would go over to his moms house to see the new pet and two weeks later it would 10 to 15 pounds heavier. It is very sad. That is a whole different story. Very sad

Great advice from the book. And several different options! Way to go.

Thanks

Nicholle

NICHOLLE1978
02-28-2002, 01:34 AM
Aly it is funny that you say that. When I was younger I had a golden retriever named max and he would only eat hamburgers from the hamburger stand. I did not know any better I was so young then.

Angels3
02-28-2002, 01:48 AM
I know a Chihuahua who is loves bananas. He used to resist taking any kind of pill or capsule. But when his owners hide the pill in a piece of banana, he eats it in one gulp.
Marie

NICHOLLE1978
02-28-2002, 01:53 AM
Are you serious!!! That is so funny. I have learned with the dried papaya my pets are so much more responsive. Eevee is picky about her heartworm medication. I will use this technique. I love the vision of that little dog and the banana.

How funny

NICHOLLE1978
02-28-2002, 01:59 AM
So here is a good question.What treat does your dog absolutely adore? Everyone? Eevee and bucky love pig ears??? I hate the way they smell.

And of course papaya

LoudLou
02-28-2002, 02:04 AM
I love cantalope and bananas... and of course anything Mommy or Daddy might be eating;)

NICHOLLE1978
02-28-2002, 06:37 PM
Oh yea I forgot about cantalope. That would be good for rehydrating a pet on a hot day.

Crikit
02-28-2002, 08:29 PM
Well I know Smudge doesn't really like apples, or banana's I don't think...he does like Watermelon though oh and Cherry's but he only gets a couple of those at a time and even those couple are halfs. I eat the other half so that he can't get the pit. I'm not sure what fruit Winter likes though, at the moment fruits rather expensive where I am because it has to be imported from warmer climates :D Both dogs like carrots though...and I know for a fact that Smudge dislikes peas. And I can't forget pumpkin...they love pumpkin. I'm talking the pumpkin from a can that isn't sugared and spiced, it makes a really good diet for dogs.

When I'm at class and I really want the dogs attention we give them beef heart that my dad prepared for them. I don't know what he put in it but I know that they just love it.

NICHOLLE1978
02-28-2002, 10:04 PM
Crikit do you just give your pups the pumpkin by itself? or do you at it to their food.

Nicholle

Presley
02-28-2002, 11:57 PM
My black lab loves carrots,turnip,squash and pumpkin.. All of these I have heard are good to help clean their teeth. She also loves apples,oranges,grapes and bananas. I will have to try her on dried fruit i'm sure she will love it!
:)

NICHOLLE1978
03-01-2002, 12:06 AM
Wow your dogs eat a variety of foods. Last night I added kale and celery to bucky and eevees dog food and they ate it pretty quickly.

ilovehounds
03-01-2002, 10:10 AM
Copper wont eat veggies that often but Hannah gets her fruit and veggies everyday. Her fave is apples. At the pet supply store they have these new treats, I think they are called nutrience or something like that and they are made with real fruit and veggies. She likes the apples and honey, carrots, and grape ones.

Cincy'sMom
03-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Sadie and Cincy haven't had too many fruits or vegetables but they love yogurt covered papaya and oranges. String cheese is a another favorite treat. The girls also really like "Magic Liver cookies" which are made and sold at the dog training facility we use. I have a recipe for these, I am just not sure about using my new blender to puree liver. I think it is worth the extra cost to buy them already made!

Crikit
03-01-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by NICHOLLE1978
Crikit do you just give your pups the pumpkin by itself? or do you at it to their food.

No the pumpkin gets added to the food, but you have to subtract some of the regular food to substitute the pumpkin. What you have to do is take out an amount of food and then double that for the amount of pumpkin that the dog gets.

So if your feeding the dog a cup of food and you take out half a cup of food you replace it with a cup of pumpkin. Both dogs seem to love it and it does make a fairly good diet. I actually have to put Smudge back on it because he gained some weight over the last couple of months :(

NICHOLLE1978
03-01-2002, 06:50 PM
Last night before we took bucky boy to obedience training, We went to vitamin cottage to buy a bunch of dried fruit. Now I have to go and get some canned pumpkin. That sounds good. We trained eevee with cat treats and she would get very bored with them, but she does not get bored with the dried fruit.

Crikit
03-01-2002, 06:56 PM
whatever you do though make sure it's just the 100% pumpkin stuff, the stuff with everything added isnt' good for the dogs.

NICHOLLE1978
03-01-2002, 06:58 PM
My dogs are going to love you for this. Thanks for your last response I will make sure to get one without additives.

newpuppyKUJO
05-20-2006, 04:58 PM
I have a new puppy named Kujo. He is only 4 pounds and he was begging me for some orange so I gave him a piece, and he loves them more than chips!

Roxyluvsme13
05-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Err...this thread is 4 years old..

IRescue452
05-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Old but its been dug up. So why not add some useful information since people are reading this. Grapes can be toxic to dogs, but in unknown quantities. Some large dogs can get sick from a few grapes while some smaller dogs can eat twice as many before getting sick.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-21-2006, 02:34 PM
I believe that raisins are bad for dogs, too...

anna_66
05-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Here is a good site that tells you some of the foods that are not good for dogs
Pet Education.Com (http://www.peteducation.com/category_summary.cfm?cls=2&cat=1939)

As for what my three like, Roxey loves watermelon, Bon apples and Huney...well she's not really a fruit kinda girl;)

dab_20
05-24-2006, 07:13 PM
You guys have some good eating dogs! My dogs spit out fruits and vegetables :rolleyes:

So do mine. They hate them!

Young Rico
07-19-2006, 04:40 PM
When I first got my dog Chilton (or Chillie as we call him) he wouldn't eat dog food to save his life. After two weeks of sheer madness I broke down and started buying him whole Rotisserie chickens, cutting them up, removing all the bones and feeding him that. Needless to say he loved it. In fact, to this day, if he needs to take a pill I just stick it in a piece of chicken and he never knows what hit him....Earlier today I was eating an orange and decided to give him a slice. To my amusement, he devoured it. However, I suspect he'd eat sauteed shit if the opportunity presented itself (lol)...A tip for anyone whose pooch is a finicky eater: try Merrick brand dog food. They have several enticing flavors including Chilton's favorite "Smothered Comfort" which is whole chicken thighs (Slow-cooked to make the bones mushy), sweet potatoes, blueberries, carrots and Granny Smith apples. It looks so good that I've, right hand to God, been tempted to taste it....it costs about $2.00 a can though but what other choice do I have? I'm trying to get him a modeling job though so he can pay some bills. BTW, PLEASE vote for Chilton R. Jones in the Old Navy mascot contest!!!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/Rico85/Chilton.jpg

Kfamr
07-19-2006, 06:15 PM
My dogs love their fruits and veggies!

Just some information for everyone:

If you'd like to make fruit and veggies nutritional for your dogs, puree them! Otherwise, fruits and veggies serve no purpose other than a tasty treat. Dogs can not properly digest the cell walls of fruits and veggies, so we've got to break the cell walls for them. :)

*LabLoverKEB*
07-19-2006, 06:19 PM
How do you puree a fruit?? I have no idea what this is! :o :o

Kfamr
07-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Puree is when you blend it into a fine paste in a food processor or blender.

I find that my food processor works better.

luvofallhorses
07-19-2006, 06:26 PM
just don't give them grapes, onions, or raisans. :) they are very bad for them.

*LabLoverKEB*
07-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Sorry I didn't get to reply sooner!
Okay, I'll have to try that, thanks Kay!

managemysite
07-26-2006, 03:09 PM
tomatoes and onions are bad for dogs

BC_MoM
07-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Actually, shais_mom, raisins and grapes are bad for dogs.

Kfamr
07-26-2006, 04:16 PM
tomatoes and onions are bad for dogs

Please provide me with some information as to why tomatoes are bad?

My three dogs and many other raw fed dogs eat tomatoes almost daily.

k9krazee
07-27-2006, 01:09 PM
- Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe. (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are also poisonous to humans.)
http://www.lacetoleather.com/fataltodogs.html

3. Tomatoes and tomato plants. These contain atropine, which can cause dilated pupils, tremors, and heart arrhythmias. The highest concentration of atropine is found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants, followed by unripe (green) tomatoes, followed by ripe tomatoes. So if you have the good fortune to have a tomato plant or two on your stoop, be sure your dog doesn’t nibble on it, and it’s safest not to feed him tomatoes either.
http://www.urbanhound.com/houndHealth/ShowAnswer.asp?QID=170

-------

Although canines can eat Potato and Tomato, Do Not let them ingest the leaves or stems. Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.
http://groups.msn.com/OurChihuahuaHeaven/whatnottofeedadog.msnw

As for tomato: Some holistic practioners and vets believe the tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Some don't believe that. But everybody agrees the vine is toxic.
http://www.housepetmagazine.com/article1_housepetmagazine_noonions.htm

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/kangashrew13/shrug.gif

Kfamr
07-27-2006, 01:53 PM
From what I understand the only poisonous parts (in high levels) are the roots and leaves. The fruit itself is fine.

Tomatoes or tomato juice is also known to eliminate brown spots on the lawn. It is also on many high quality kibble ingredient lists.