PDA

View Full Version : Peej's eye

PJ's Mom
08-02-2005, 12:42 AM
Peej went to the eye doctor today and we didn't get any good news. His condition is getting worse, and half of his retina has collapsed and is folded over the rest of his eye. He's lost about 50% of his vision in his left eye and it's only a matter of time now before his eye has to be removed. :( I guess the good news is that he's not in pain.

Here's a picture of my boy taken a little while ago. :)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/meiglan/IMG_0265.jpg

petslover
08-02-2005, 12:44 AM
awww. Poor Peej. I hope you get feeling better. I will be praying for you here. You are one of my favorites and I hope you get feeling better.

wolf_Q
08-02-2005, 12:52 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that. :( What caused his condition? Peej you know you are still very handsome no matter what happens!

jesse_3
08-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Awww, poor boy! I'm glad to hear that he is in no pain! One way to brighten this is you can call him patchy Peej!:)

Prayers that a miracle happens and Peej doesn't need surgery! Please, keep us updated!

Steph and Jes

sammy101
08-02-2005, 01:10 AM
oh Peej,i'm sorry:( I'll be thinking of you.:)

Bigyummydog
08-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Oh, Donna, I'm so sorry to hear about PEEJ. No pain? Well that's good. PEEJ, you are just so gorgeous anyway. XOXOXO's headed your way.

Oggyflute
08-02-2005, 01:52 AM
Not the best news on Peej, but still will be most handsome, now matter what.:)

Muddy4paws
08-02-2005, 03:30 AM
Poor Peej :( :( I hope hes ok

Are cocker spaniels prone to eye problems? There are alot at work that come in with problem eyes its really sad, Theres a dog that comes in without an eye but I dont think it actually bothers her much shes just a love bug anyway and soaks up the attention lol

Peej you'll still be a beautiful pup!
:)

chocolatepuppy
08-02-2005, 05:05 AM
Oh poor Peej. :( I'm sorry to hear you will lose your eye. You will still be adorable, don't you worry! What is it that causes this condition?

vinjashira
08-02-2005, 05:40 AM
I'm sorry to hear that :(

you'll still be as lovable as ever though Peej!

Pawsitive Thinking
08-02-2005, 05:54 AM
Dear Peej that is sad news :( still a gorgeous PT boy!

Rachel
08-02-2005, 05:55 AM
:( :(

I must have missed previous posts about Peej's eye. I am so, so, sorry to hear this set of circumstances. It breaks my heart.
We send many kisses for his little sad face.

PJ is so lucky to have a caring mom.

Ginger's Mom
08-02-2005, 06:04 AM
Oh poor Peej. I am sorry to hear he is having such a problem with his eye. He will still be a handsome boy. Just curious, why would they have to remove the eye for a collapsed retina? Would it have to do with pressure against the eye or something. He will learn to get along quite well with one eye. Dogs are amazingly resilient. But in the meantime, hugs to you and Peej.

Daisy and Delilah
08-02-2005, 08:10 AM
Poor Peej!! Sorry to hear things are not going so well for you sweetie. You are such a handsome man and you always will be-no matter how things turn out.

Terry, Daisy and Delilah:)

lv4dogs
08-02-2005, 08:48 AM
Aww poor Peej, but like you said at least he is not in pain. Thats the main thing.

He's still gonna be Peej though, a handsome lovable rupper!

anna_66
08-02-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm really sorry to hear about Peej's eye Dawn. I'm sorry if I missed a thread about it.
You know he's a beautiful boy no matter what:)

beeniesmom
08-02-2005, 08:53 AM
Oh no. What a sad morning.
I can't take this.
I'm so sorry for Peej.
:(

PJ's Mom
08-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks everyone. :)

The doctor told me that having his eye removed will hurt me more than it hurts him and that he'll get along great without it. Of course I have my doubts about that, but he is a great doctor that I have a lot of faith in. :)

Peej has episcleritis in his left eye and from what I understand, it's a fairly common occurence in Cockers. It causes the eye to become very red and swollen. What's not common is the severity of Peej's case. He's been to 2 of the 3 eye doctors in the state and they've both said that they've never seen a case like his...one that doesn't respond well to treatment.

Unless his eye becomes painful, the decision to have it removed will be ours. The doctor is not pushing us into it al all right not. He spends most of his time these days on prednisone to keep the swelling down and I hate what it does to him. :( If we want to be able to get him off this awful medicine, the eye will have to come out.

Sorry that was so long. :o Peej says thanks for the nice comments and that he loves you all. :)

IRescue452
08-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Oh Peej I know you will do alright without that bothersome eye. My sister has a cat with and eye removed and she does just fine. The best part is that you have long hair that will cover over the spot just handsomelike. Tell your mommy that she needs to become more attached to the dog and less to the eye:) It's better to do the surgery before you get older and it gets more risky to put you under. I know you'll do just fine.

Kfamr
08-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Oh no, Dawn, this has me in tears. :( I'm so heartbroken.
{{HUGS to you both}}

I'm so sorry for you and your sweet boy. He's handsome no matter what but it's so sad to see him "broken".. Does it cause him any pain at all right now?

{{HUGS}}

Logan
08-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Dawn, I'm sorry that PJ is facing this horrible problem with no hope of it getting better. I don't know if it will make you feel any better or not, but my parent's Boston Terrier, Mr. Darcy, lost one of his eyes over a year ago. It got an ulcer on it and they did surgery to try and repair it, but it didn't heal. He doesn't miss a beat without that eye. The only thing you have to be careful about is throwing a ball since he doesn't have that periferal (sp?) vision any longer, you don't want him to run full speed into something he never even saw.

PJ will be fine, whether he has one eye or two. I promise! :)

PJ's Mom
08-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I can't help thinking that he won't be able to play laser anymore, or see his skeeky when I throw it to him. :( I find myself in tears when I think about it, but you've all given me positive things to think about. :)

Kay, he's not in pain yet, since there's no nerves behind the retina. The minute he begins to be in pain, or when we have to increase his prednisone to keep the swelling down, is when the eye has to come out. :(

luvofallhorses
08-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Oh, Dawn I am so sorry :( {{{hugs to you and Peej}}}

anna_66
08-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
Unless his eye becomes painful, the decision to have it removed will be ours. The doctor is not pushing us into it al all right not. He spends most of his time these days on prednisone to keep the swelling down and I hate what it does to him. :( If we want to be able to get him off this awful medicine, the eye will have to come out.

Although this may not be what you want to hear, I'd have it done to get him off the pred. It's an awful medicine and changes them so much:(
I'm sure he's going to be just fine without it:)
Hugs to you and Peej

My Peanuts
08-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Poor Peej! It could be a lot worse. It's such a blessing that he isn't in any pain. I've heard of a lot of dogs having an eye removed and they act the same. Good luck with everything and Peej is in my prayers.

lizbud
08-02-2005, 07:55 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Peej's eye problem.:( It's good
that he's not in pain with this disease. I hope he doesn't have
to stay on the Pred for long. Hugs & kisses for his sweet face.:)

gemini9961
08-02-2005, 08:02 PM
This is so sad. I feel for Peej and you as well Dawn. My aunt has a Cocker with eye problems too. Her Cocker is 5 and already has bad cataracts. She can have surgery done but they can come back and the surgery is thousands. The doctor told her the same thing, that it hurts us more than it hurts the dogs. Her cocker can still get around fine, but it sucks to see his eye so blurry. I know Peej has a different condition and I wish you the best of luck and he's handsome no matter what.

jazzcat
08-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Oh Dawn I'm so sorry. I had no idea Peej had a problem with his eye, poor little guy.

As for having an eye removed, my brother has a Blue Tick Coonhound with only one eye. He had one removed as a puppy after an adult dog attacked him for eating his food. The owner at the time (not my brother) abandoned him at a vet where my brother's friend works. She talked him into adopting the pup now named Bart. Bart just turned 9 years old last month and is and has always done great with one eye. You'd never know he was missing it from the way he stalks, trees and sometimes kills any unfortunate squirrels that come in the back yard.

I bet Peej will do just great without it.

((HUGS))

cocker_luva
08-02-2005, 11:50 PM
poor lil' boy!

tomkatzid
08-03-2005, 02:17 AM
On no PeeJ.
I'm so sorry to hear about your eye.

I know only too well about cockers and their eyes. Tonee had Horners syndrom in one eye, and the Dr said it would beone in a million chances that it would go to the other eye. She was one in a million dogs !! It went to the other eye. Then glacoma (sp) and then blind in her last years. She still got around well without her site.

Sounds like you have the best of Dr's for him.
Kisses to you little guy !!
Katz

Pawsitive Thinking
08-03-2005, 05:34 AM
Dawn - one of my neighbours has a JRT with only one eye and she is a feisty and happy little girl.

This must be so hard for you at the moment but darling Peej will be just fine - how could he be anything else with a Mum like you looking after him. Fingers crossed that everything works out for you both

K9soul
08-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Oh poor Peej :( .. but I think your vet is right, it'll probably be harder on you than on him. I would definitely feel the same as you though, you want your baby to stay whole and it's painful to think of him being otherwise. Sounds like he does indeed have a very good vet, and I am glad of that for both your sake and Peej's. Hugs and kisses to you sweet Peej. Please keep us update Dawn.