PDA

View Full Version : I learned to swing dance tonight!

finn's mom
08-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Ok, so, last week was my first week in the dance class. I learned how to do the tango. Tonight, they taught us how to swing. Nothing fancy, just a couple of turns and the basic steps. But, it was so much fun. There was a really adorable couple there, I don't know their story, but, they're cute. He was wearing flip flops, you can't dance in flip flops! Ha ha, it was funny watching him try. ;) I actually took heels tonight to dance in, my calves were killing me about ten minutes into it.

I met a really nice older guy named Ken that ended up taking me to dinner. That was very nice, as I can't afford those luxuries right now. ;) Five bucks for the class a week is just about breaking me. Ha ha, but, that'll get better soon. He was telling me that he teaches pilates, and, gave me an invite to come to take a class for free. Which is crazy that he even teaches, as I've been really dying to take a pilates class, but, it's expensive. I hope I'm able to check it out and one day be able to go two or three times a week. I've been really trying to figure out a good balance, and, something like that would be excellent to put into my routine.

Anyway, I'm treating this like it's my livejournal or something! I just wanted to share the dance I learned this week! It was so much fun! Hope everyone's night was as nice as mine. Especially since I was so crappy and unproductive for a major part of the day. ;) This class helps my motivation. :) Shutting up now...

Shelteez2
08-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Fun!!! I wish I could swing dance every time they play Crabbucket by K-OS at the club... lol :D

Oh and I took a pilates course before... it was hard work! But it did bore me... I need something fast to keep my attention... like kick boxing or something...

finn's mom
08-01-2005, 10:55 PM
I don't know if I know that song or not......but, I love pilates. I took a class before, and, hated not being able to afford more. I like exciting, cardio stuff too, but, nothing has affected my body as much as pilates has. It improved my posture, my breathing, the length of my muscles (which is important since i'm so short), my balance, my mental health, everything. I was amazed at what a difference it made. I just still need an instructor to help me with form and with my breathing....it's hard for me to do it at home because I know I'm not doing it correctly. I'd love take a kick boxing class, though. If I could get a class like that once a week, dance a couple nights a week, and, do pilates once or twice, man I'd be set!

Shelteez2
08-01-2005, 10:57 PM
LOL oh me too.... but where do I find the motivation? I'm the laziest person I know....

I have the Carmen Electra stripper-cize dvd's and one of them has a lot of pilates related moves in it.... I was sore for days after it... lol

K9karen
08-01-2005, 11:10 PM
What fun! How super that you had such a fantastic night! I have 2 left feet and am very uncoordinated. I can only fast dance well, since I don't have to follow anybody's lead! :p :p Not unless they like their toes stepped on! :D
Once I heal, I'm going to start an exercise program to tone my muscles since I lost tons of weight. I'd love to kick box! I hope your excellent night makes your week!

jesse_3
08-01-2005, 11:12 PM
That sounds like so much fun! Only if I could dance, wasn't lazy, and had my asthma under control!!! Could you teach me a few moves?:p! LOL!!! I can't dance, I have been in a group called just for kix, and I wasn't very good.

I think that pilates would be fun too!-but, there are honestly more things I would be interested in.......

Glad you had fun, and hey, ya got a dinner out of it!-
Steph and Jes

petslover
08-02-2005, 12:27 AM
That sounds like fun. Glad you had such a great time.

Jamieejo85
08-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Kari, you are gonna have to come here and go out dancing with me Saturday nights at this club Las Bananas. It is mostly salsa dancing but they play some cumbia music (mexican type music)..it is soo fun and i bet you would be awesome at it! Plus it doesn't hurt that there are many cute mexican men who show up lol:D

Barbara
08-02-2005, 03:04 AM
That swing dancing must be fun.

Pilates is a toughie:D I am doing Jazz dance in a studio and in the warm-up we have some Pilates exercises that really make your poor muscles hurt:D

For two months now I am going to a gym to strengthen my muscles. Having that ligament rupture I cannot go back to dancing before September but I hope I can keep my muscles a little stronger by lifting all these weights.

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-02-2005, 06:07 AM
Sounds like you had so much fun!! I love it when 2 people dance a good swing dance! In fact, I met my husband on a dancing course for singles. We got lots of nice compliments from lots of people who were at our wedding dance!

sirrahbed
08-02-2005, 07:09 AM
That sounds like such fun!! Swing dancing just seems to be great enjoment. The "oder man named Ken" sounds intirging too - I LOVE older men - well MY older man!!;) Hope the Pilates is a terrific class for you too!

Daisy and Delilah
08-02-2005, 08:30 AM
Kari, It sounds like you're having so much fun. I have told my daughter about dance lessons. She is checking it out in our area. Shes hoping to maybe meet that special someone?? Thanks for the inspiration!!:D

Terry

Pawsitive Thinking
08-02-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm exhausted just reading your thread! Glad you are having such a great time

JenBKR
08-02-2005, 10:32 AM
That sounds like so much fun! I would love to leard to swing dance. I took kickboxing before and I really loved that. It's sooo expensive, so now I can't afford it and stick to exercise videos. I like the dancing stuff though, it doesn't feel as much like exercise :D

finn's mom
08-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Hey, everyone! I did have a great time last night, and, it was just what I needed. It's a good Monday night routine that I hope I can keep up. As for the pilates, I've done it before, I love it! I just really want longer, leaner muscles and better balance and posture, and, pilates is the only thing I've tried that I see those results. I've also been trying to jump in the pool once a day and just swim a few laps, too, I know that's good for lengthening and toning, too. Kickboxing would be so much fun, for cardio.

As for meeting that special someone, that's not what I'm really looking for, but if it happens, cool. ;) And, Ben said something to me on the phone last night that may be the beginning of the end for he and I, which sucks. But, it's always something we knew might happen. Anyway, I'm mostly going just for the fun, interaction, posture and exercise. :)

Ok, and, as for Ken, I like older guys, never been an issue for me. But, he's so not my type at all. I sincerely hope he doesn't think I'm interested in him. I didn't get the feeling that he was trying to get anywhere with me, but, we'll see. I'll let him know as soon as I think he's getting the wrong idea. But, yeah, older men is one thing, but, his sons are my age, and, he just really looks OLD. Not just older, but, OLD. I've dated a guy in his 50s, but, he didn't look like he was in his 50s. This guy looks older than that. I don't know. Just not my type.

I really hope I can go again next Monday!!!

lv4dogs
08-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Oh my I've been wanting to learn how to swing dance for years & years! I'm so jealous! lol
So, you go alone? Do they find you a partner? Thats the main reason why I haven't gone, I can't find anyone to go with me.

finn's mom
08-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
Oh my I've been wanting to learn how to swing dance for years & years! I'm so jealous! lol
So, you go alone? Do they find you a partner? Thats the main reason why I haven't gone, I can't find anyone to go with me.

Yeah, it's a group class. You can go with or without a partner. They want you to switch partners as often as possible. You learn better that way. ;) I danced with probably 75% of the guys there last night.

Almita
08-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Wow swing dance sounds like fun.

Pawsitive Thinking
08-08-2005, 09:48 AM
What dance will it be this week?

finn's mom
08-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Brody's Mum
What dance will it be this week?

Actually, you don't know til you go! :) But, tonight, I'm not going to go. I'm so bummed! But, I'll go for sure next week. I may even check them out Thursday, because they have a theory/technique class and a party, too, on alternating Thursdays. Not sure which they're doing this week, though.

But, yeah, that older gentleman I met last week teaches pilates at the YMCA about 10 minutes from where I live, and, he gave me two free passes. The trick is that you have to take a fundamentals of pilates class before you can really get into the program, and, he only teaches that once a month, and, it's tonight! So, I really don't want to wait another month to start the pilates, so, I'm missing the dance class. I hope to find out tonight how much it costs to join the Y, because if it's not too expensive, I'll do that as my gym. I can take all the yoga, pilates, and other exercise classes that I want, they have pools, saunas, etc. So, I'm hoping it's not really expensive. I'll let you know how the pilates class goes, though. Thanks for asking about the dance class, that's cool that you remembered!