PDA

View Full Version : Relieved but Sad

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-01-2005, 01:43 PM
We have been having some horrendous financial problems lately :(

Warren and I REALLY need a holiday (last chance for a romantic cruise before baby comes along), so we booked a cruise for next month, and just hoped and prayed that the finances would work out.

Anyway things havent changed, so we made a really hard decision to sell some of our collection of Limited Edition Montblanc Pens.

All 3 have just sold on eBay (I was hoping for some bidding to push up the prices, but they ALL went for the opening price :(). On one hand I am SO relieved as we REALLY need the money, but I am also so sad that I had to sell something I love so much. We have had these pens for a few years, and all three of them were Limited editions of only 333 in the world, so I can never replace them.

I know it's silly to worry about material posessions when it has really helped us out financially, but I will MISS THEM, and I needed to vent!

jesse_3
08-01-2005, 01:46 PM
I am so sorry that you had to sell those pens!:( Everything will be fine:) It has to be!

Steph and Jes

finn's mom
08-01-2005, 01:47 PM
It's hard losing things that you enjoy having. Even if it's a material possession. You did the right thing. And, it's ok to have to vent. ;)

Barbara
08-01-2005, 03:24 PM
To my opinion all the memories that go with travelling are much more worth than anything that can only be displayed and looked at!

So you did the right thing. (says the person who lost the only MontBlanc Meisterstueck she ever owned while travelling);)

Muddy4paws
08-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Just think of the memories of the trip when you go Im sure they will be so much more precious than the pens in the long run and try not to get too down about the money situation things will get better!

Rachel
08-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
We have been having some horrendous financial problems lately :(

Warren and I REALLY need a holiday (last chance for a romantic cruise before baby comes along), so we booked a cruise for next month, and just hoped and prayed that the finances would work out.

I really wish you would rethink your need for a holiday considering that you have been having horrendous financial problems and a baby on the way.

*Hoping the finances will work out* is not the solution. Making some adjustment in your spending patterns is what will make the difference.

I say these things knowing that more than likely they will not be received in the manner that they were intended, which is with concern.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-02-2005, 03:41 AM
Barbara and Muddy4paws:

Thanks for putting this in perspective for me - you are SO right - having a couple of nice pens in a safe is nothing compared to the wonderful memories of a cruise!!

(Every other time we have gone on one, I have made a HUGE collage of the pics when we get back, and they are hung above my desk in the study - it's so nice to look back on all the wonderful places we have visited)

When we bought the pens it was as an investment for a "rainy day" so I guess this must be our rainy day!!!

Rachel - I have PMd you ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
08-02-2005, 04:41 AM
Make the most of every opportunity! My parents worked hard and saved for their retirement with plans to do loads of travelling and maybe move abroad only for Dad to be diagnosed with Parkinson's and die aged 67 - some retirement!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-02-2005, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Brody's Mum
My parents worked hard and saved for their retirement with plans to do loads of travelling and maybe move abroad only for Dad to be diagnosed with Parkinson's and die aged 67 - some retirement!!

How sad for you and your parents! It's quite a challenge - striking a balance between being responsible and saving for a retirement, and enjoying life while you can. I'd hate to do NOTHING my whole life - just waiting for retirement, because you REALLy don't know how long youve got - and you cant take it with you!!

Pawsitive Thinking
08-02-2005, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
I'd hate to do NOTHING my whole life - just waiting for retirement, because you REALLy don't know how long youve got - and you cant take it with you!!

Pretty much what Dad said to me in one of his most lucid moments - have enough to live on, a bit for emergencies and then take every day as it comes