08-01-2005, 12:44 PM
hehe

Look at her cold wet nose, LOL! :p

Chilli
08-01-2005, 12:45 PM
So cute! I wanna touch it! I like to touch wet dog noses :D

luckies4me
08-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Here's two more cute pics of Whiskey. :)

luckies4me
08-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Has anyone shaved their large breed puppies/dogs in the summer? If so, what effect did it have on keeping them cool during the summer months? I'm thinking of getting her shaved.

Chilli
08-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Well, a friend my mum works with shaves her golden retreiver just because she doesn't want hair everywhere... I hear it helps to keep them cooler, but I wouldn't know, both of mine are short-haired. :D

Suki Wingy
08-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Aww! I have heard that the coat can actually insulate them from the heat.

luckies4me
08-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
Aww! I have heard that the coat can actually insulate them from the heat.

Where did you read that at? :confused: I'm pretty sure she's hot and would benefit from a shaving. It gets so hot here and has been in the 90's every day for the past two weeks. :( I hate it.

Anyone wanna take a guess at what she's mixed with? :p

luckies4me
08-01-2005, 01:30 PM
This picture makes me laugh LOL! She needs a butterfly on her nose or something. :p

luvofallhorses
08-01-2005, 01:30 PM
She looks like a chocolate lab or an aussie mix, she's cute! :) I must have missed this :o but is she yours?

luckies4me
08-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by luvofallhorses
She looks like a chocolate lab or an aussie mix, she's cute! :) I must have missed this :o but is she yours?

She's mixed with four different dogs. She does have chocolate lab in her, yes. No Aussie though, but close! :p She'll be about 150 pounds full grown. ;) Right now she weighs about 22 and she's only two and a half months old! :eek:

luvofallhorses
08-01-2005, 01:36 PM
:eek: she's gonna be a big baby! :)

jesse_3
08-01-2005, 01:39 PM
She is SO adorable! I was guessing chocolate/Aussie, mix too!

I have heard that it can help keep them cooler too, but, I think that it is better to shave them. My aunt has a dog, Checkers, and I just shaved him, he acted so much more alive! Moving around and such:)

Steph and Jes

luckies4me
08-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by luvofallhorses
:eek: she's gonna be a big baby! :)

She's already a big baby LOL! :D I'll try to get a pic of me holding her. Or you can jump on yahoo and send me a message at luckies4me and I can put her on cam. hehe :p

manda_moo87
08-01-2005, 02:08 PM
AWW! She's so cute!! :D :D

I think I've fallen in love yet again... :o

MariaM
08-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Newfoundland? Nova Scotia DTR?
She's so cute! ^.^

K9soul
08-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Dogs do not sweat through their skin the way people do. People often compare a dog with thick fur as being the same as a person wearing a coat out in hot weather, but it is not the same at all because people sweat to cool off, and dogs have a different coolant system. The hair protects their skin from sunburn and bugs biting, and even heat. I've found this is so especially with doublecoated dogs, who can lay in the sun yet when you put your hand through their hair to feel their skin, the skin is cool. I also wouldn't think it'd be a great idea to shave her when she is still has her fluffy puppy coat.

luvofallhorses
08-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
She's already a big baby LOL! :D I'll try to get a pic of me holding her. Or you can jump on yahoo and send me a message at luckies4me and I can put her on cam. hehe :p

I think I'll do that :D

crsvstang
08-01-2005, 02:54 PM
She is so cute!!

buttercup132
08-01-2005, 04:16 PM
is she a choco lab/border collie/golden retriver/and nova scotia duck tolling retriver mix?

Muddy4paws
08-01-2005, 04:18 PM
She really is a cute pup! If i get yahoo il wanna peek :P

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Aw...Whiskey is REALLY cute!!!:D

luckies4me
08-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Hehe, OK...the mom was Border Collie/Chocolate Lab and the dad was Saint Bernard/Shephard. :p

wolf_Q
08-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Is this puppy yours? What happened with the pit bull puppy?

She's very cute. I would not recommend shaving her at all but especially at that young age. The coat insulates against the heat and the cold, if the coat grows long when she's older keep her brushed well and she'll be fine.

luckies4me
08-02-2005, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Is this puppy yours? What happened with the pit bull puppy?

She's very cute. I would not recommend shaving her at all but especially at that young age. The coat insulates against the heat and the cold, if the coat grows long when she's older keep her brushed well and she'll be fine.

Unfortunately the pit puppy was showing some agressive tendencies, so I decided not to adopt him. I just do not want to take the risk.

I am fostering this little girl. :) Anyone interested? ;) I have a full grown Saint that needs a home as well. His name is Bentley and he is a pure bred Saint. He's super sweet. If anyone wants any information let me know. :)

Thanks for the advice. I will not shave her then. As far as grooming, when should I start bathing her, and how often? Would she need a professional groom? This is the first really large breed dog I've had so I'm still learning. :)

wolf_Q
08-02-2005, 01:37 AM
It wouldn't hurt her if you gave her a bath now, just use a mild (puppy) shampoo. Nebo gets a bath about once a month, it doesn't have to be that often though. I don't think she'd need professional grooming, her fur looks pretty short....if it does grow long just keep it brushed out and maybe trim around her paws, clip her nails. If she grows to be 150 lbs like you estimated professional grooming may be needed as that's a pretty big dog for a bathtub. ;) If she's just a foster I'm sure she'll be adopted before then though!

Oggyflute
08-02-2005, 01:51 AM
Great pics and a beautiful pup Cass.:)

beeniesmom
08-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Can I kiss it!
:)

anna_66
08-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Oh she's soooo cute! If I didn't already have 3 I'd take her in a heartbeat:D

And I know everyone has already told you, but their hair does keep them insulated from the heat. Both of my girls have a long coat and will go out and lay in the sun in the 90 degree weather, so I guess having all that fur doesn't bother them!

xVelvet_FuzzButtx
08-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Dang it your far away! i know i could bribe myt aunt(with those pics) to get her!
but Dallas is a lonnng ways.
shes totally adorable! her eyes/nose remind me of our buster brown. Chocolate lab mix!

i wouldn't shave her. keep lots of cool fresh water available(duh..lol) and don't keep her in the son 24/7 and she'll be fine.
Coats acctually do help insolate dogs thats why you shouldn't shave malamutes/huskys. it can also mess up their coats when growing back.

cyber-sibes
08-03-2005, 10:35 AM
just chiming in with those who have said not to shave her. That double coat protects them in the cold and heat! .
She's gonna be one big beautiful girl! Such a CUTE puppy!