PDA

View Full Version : Ewwwww!!

DogLover9501
08-01-2005, 12:37 AM
:eek:

Well it's almost 3am here, I was laying in bed and I hear Emma going CRAZY! I hear stuff falling over, her hitting my door and shutting it with her paws.

I get up and open my door, then I turned on my light and I see a SHREW right by my door!! :eek:

I went out into the living room and the screen was out of the window AGAIN(Tigger can get them out!). I'm guessing he brang it in!

First I make sure Emma is still inside, because of the screen. I put the screen back in, and then I grab some newspaper to go get the shrew.

:eek: There's never a dull moment around here!

On a more serious note, what can I do about the window screens? Tigger gets them out of the windows easily.

Lightning SuperCat
08-01-2005, 06:16 AM
I don't know about your screens but ours have locks and spaces in them where we put nails and nail them to the window.

catnapper
08-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Yuck! I'd have been screaming for someone else to come get the shrew! :D

Most screens do have a way to lock them in place like Lightning SuperCat said. Good luck! Bad Tigger!

lighthouse
08-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Packing tape or duct tape will help. You wouldn't have to go all the way around the screen but perhaps cross the corners with a long strip of tape. Hope it helps.

sirrahbed
08-01-2005, 08:26 AM
I had to look up "shrew" to see what it was - EEEWW!!!

As for screen - does Tigger push the whole thing out or does he tear the screen loose from the sides and leave the frame?? Our screens have some tears but nobody has busted through yet. Can you open it just enough to allow air through but no room for Tigger to get out? This is how ours are - opened only about 3-4 incehs on the patio room.

christa
08-01-2005, 08:42 AM
So what exactly is a "shrew" . . . I'm too lazy to look it up, Deb! LOL

Explain please? I want to know what everyone is EWWWW'ing about!!! LOL

Craftlady
08-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Only in spring and fall do I open windows (we have central air conditioning) and it's only 2 inches high. I feel opening a window to it's full extent is inviting temptation and trouble. So I dont do it at my house.
If you have to have a window open for cirrculation purposes, try putting aluminin (tin foil) foil on the window ledge. Cat's dont like the feel or the sound it makes when you touch it. Spray the foil with bitter apple or citris (orange) spray. They dont like either one.

sirrahbed
08-01-2005, 09:06 AM
from http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/mammals/shrew/Shrewprintout.shtml :):eek:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/sgifs/Shrew_bw.GIF

Shrews are very small and very aggressive mammals. These tiny animals live in almost every type of habitat. There are about 200 species of shrews that inhabit Africa, Asia, Europe, North America and northern South America.
Shrews are related to moles; they are not rodents. Shrews are good burrowers and swimmers. Many shrews are nocturnal (most active at night).

Anatomy: The North American Pygmy Shrew may be the smallest mammal in the world. It weighs just 1.2-2.7 grams. Its body is about the size of a person's thumbnail. (Some people consider the bumblebee bat to be the smallest; it weighs about 2 grams.) The biggest shrews are about 1 foot (30 cm) long.

Shrews have short, dense fur, clawed feet, a long snout, sharp teeth, and big ears. They have good hearing and also use echolocation (similar to the way bats and dolphins hear).

Diet: Shrew are carnivores (meat-eaters). They need to eat their own weight in food every day! These ferocious mammals will attack and kill animals that are bigger than they are. They eat insects, worms, snails, slugs, and other small animals (including other shrews). Several species of shrews (including the Short-tailed shrew) are venomous and have a poisonous bite.

Craftlady
08-01-2005, 09:16 AM
shrew = one ugly mouse LOL

christa
08-01-2005, 09:16 AM
EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

LaRana
08-01-2005, 09:56 AM
We always put nails around the frame of the window and shaped the nails into hooks to hold the screens into place. Just be careful that the cats don't start clawing at the screen mesh next... They might try to install their own cat door that way like my first cat did on our old porch door :)

And what an ungrateful meowmie you are! Here she was, staying up late at night for you, trying to get you food, performing her own rendition of "Taming of the Shrew", and you show absolutely no appreciation for it! :P

Lobodeb
08-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by christa
So what exactly is a "shrew" . . . I'm too lazy to look it up, Deb! LOL

Explain please? I want to know what everyone is EWWWW'ing about!!! LOL

Thank you! I was afraid to ask. :o :D

catmandu
08-01-2005, 11:19 AM
THAT REMINDSME,OF A MOVIE,THAT WAS ON THE LATE SHOW,A LOT,THE KILLER SHREWS,WITH JAMESBEST,ROSCOE FROM THE DUKES OF HAZZARD,AS THE HERO,THE LATE KEN CURTIS,FESTUS,FROM GUNSMOKE,AS THE VILLIAN.
THE SHREWS,WERE ACTUALLY GERMAN SHEPHERDS,WITH BAD FUR COATS,AND THE PEOPLE GET,AWAY,FROM THEM,IN MOBILE BARRELS.
I MISS,THE LOCAL TV STATIONS LATE SHOW,AND LATE LATE SHOW.

TIGGER,WAS JUST BRINGING,IN A LITTLE MIGNIGHT SNACK,FOR YOU A MAC SHREWIE!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos680.jpg

Sonia59
08-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks! Now I know what the english word for "musaraigne" is!

Cats usually don't like to catch them, but I remember my good hunter RB Hercule bringing one or two to mewomie.

DogLover9501
08-01-2005, 11:38 AM
"EEEWWWW" is right ;)

Originally posted by Sonia59
Cats usually don't like to catch them, but I remember my good hunter RB Hercule bringing one or two to mewomie.

Tigger catches them all the time-Gross!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! The screens we use just push into place, I've never seen locking ones.

Tigger first puts his nails into the screen, close to a corner or edge and pulles one side out, he gets outside through the one side, but coming back in he'll push the screen completely out of the window, and it's usually on the floor in the morning.

He rests all day, so he can stay outside at night and I hate him being out there at night!

If we did lock it, he would dig his nails into the screen and pull it out and make that noise all night, or just rip it apart. He also goes upstairs meowing and scrating at the door, waking my grandparents.

I'm going to try the tin foil tonight, wish me luck!

momcat
08-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Unawed by gnus or caribous
Or elephants or camels'
The shrews are proud to be endowed
As nature's smallest mammals.

Should shrews refuse to stay in zoos
It's wrong to hold them blameable,
For if you've read what Shakespere said
You know they're rarely tameable.....