PDA

View Full Version : Guess They'd Have To Fire Me

lizbud
07-31-2005, 01:46 PM
I'd rather be fired then follow such a stupid directive.:mad:

Texas Municipal Worker Ordered Stray Dogs Drowned

POSTED: 10:38 am EST July 31, 2005
UPDATED: 10:46 am EST July 31, 2005

JOURDANTON, Texas -- Some city officials in Jourdanton, Texas, are outraged that a public works supervisor ordered employees to drown six stray dogs at the city sewer plant, rather than having the animals properly euthanized.

For punishment, the supervisor was ordered to attend classes with animal control officers.

City councilman Darrell Richter said the workers took the dogs from the pound to the sewer plant and dropped their cages into the water.

A child saw the drownings and told his mother, who complained.

Richter told the San Antonio Express-News that he's disgusted by the incident and upset with the supervisor getting "a little slap on the hand." He said a crime has been committed and should be dealt with in a more serious manner.

finn's mom
07-31-2005, 02:05 PM
They took the dogs from the pound and drowned them? Why would he order them to do that? The whole thing makes no sense. Why wouldn't they just leave them at the pound and have the pound staff euthanize them? I'm totally lost.

K9soul
07-31-2005, 02:10 PM
I can't imagine being heartless enough to drop a cage with an animal into it into water to drown. Even if the supervisor had fired them for it, seems they could have taken legal action and gotten their job back based on the fact that animal cruelty like that is illegal. I can't believe the supervisor ordered that, and that they obeyed the order :(. Very odd.

lizbud
07-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Just found this article from a local Texas news group.

Charges possible in Jourdanton dog drownings
Web Posted: 07/31/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mary Moreno
Express-News Staff Writer

More than one Jourdanton city employee could be charged with animal cruelty in connection with the July 11 drownings of several stray dogs, the police chief said Saturday.

More coverage
Jourdanton staff drowns stray dogs
Talk Back: How should the city respond?

Ronnie Lawson said his department is investigating the incident and will forward its findings to the county attorney in about a week.

"There are only two ways in Texas to euthanize an animal," Lawson said, "and drowning is not one of them."

Several dogs were drowned at the city sewer plant July 11. It became public after a child performing community service at the plant witnessed the drownings and told his mother.

Lawson said the dogs had been kept in the pound for days and that when it came time to dispose of them, the employees found out the veterinarian was on vacation and then drowned them.

Lawson said two or three dogs were drowned, but others said there were as many as six.

City Manager Dan Nick said he disciplined a city employee and that he considered the case closed.

But it seems the furor over the drownings has just begun.

A city councilman said he plans to express his disgust over the incident at an emergency City Council meeting Tuesday. Councilman Darrell Richter said that although the meeting wasn't called to address this issue, he wants to comment on it and ask the city manager questions.

Richter said he was particularly upset with Nick's disciplining of the employee.

"I'm very upset with his attitude about that," Richter said. "It's just like, OK, let's give you a little slap on the hand. This is serious. A crime has been committed, and I don't like his attitude about it."

Councilman Joe de la Rosa said he also was upset with Nick because he didn't tell the council about the incident. The councilman also said he didn't agree with the way Nick handled it and that he wants all involved prosecuted.

"I don't care who it is," he said. "And if the city manager has to go down with them, so be it."

Nick couldn't be reached for comment Saturday.

Richter said he had received several calls from people disturbed by the news of the drownings. Jourdanton residents told him the killings were coldhearted and disturbing.

"I thought about it, and if I had to put a dog down that was injured, I would have a problem taking its life if I had to shoot it," Richter said. "But drowning it, that is sick. I don't know what they were thinking when they did this."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

K9soul
07-31-2005, 02:29 PM
That is just sickening. I think all involved should face legal charges and disciplinary action.

finn's mom
07-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Ok, that clears it up. That's horrible, I can't believe someone would think they could get away with something like that. Unless it's not the first time it's happened...I'm so glad the kid told his mother. Those poor dogs, that has got to be one of the worst ways to die. :( :( :( :( :(

dukedogsmom
07-31-2005, 04:51 PM
They should lose their jobs and do jail time. But none of that will ever happen. Unfortunately, animals' lives aren't valuable to a lot of people and that's just wrong. I hope their bad karma gets returned and paid in full.

jesse_3
07-31-2005, 10:09 PM
What is wrong with those people! Do they have no heart? I am disgusted and sad. How scary for those poor dogs. They had to just sit in their kennels and try to scream, only to find out they couldn't breathe. I am almost sobbing for them now...

Steph and Jes

countrycowgirl
07-31-2005, 11:05 PM
that is just sicking!!!! I would definatly have lost my job over that not to mention made sure that the people got what was coming to them!! that is just wrong and sick!!

JenBKR
08-01-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm sorry but if I was ordered to do that I would refuse and immediately call the police and every news channel around. I can't believe that this happened, and that the workers actually did it!! :mad:

finn's mom
08-01-2005, 10:19 AM
It reminded me of that movie, In Pursuit of Honor. It was based on actual events where the 1934 army was getting rid of it's calvary and four or five soldiers were ordered to shoot the remaining 400 horses, but, they were known for insubordination, and, went on a freedom mission to release the horses. I never actually saw the film, though, but, always wanted to. I remember thinking, though, good for them. They would have to discharge me from the military before I went through with shooting 400 healthy animals. It's more humane than drowning, but, along the same lines. Reading about this reminded me of it. I had a bad dream about dogs being drowned last night, I didn't sleep well. I can't even imagine.

lizbud
08-01-2005, 10:53 AM
I was checking the San Antonio site for any news & reactions
to this incident. They have a Talk Back & Comments section and
the city is sure getting an a lot of heat over this cruelty.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/specials/weblogs/feedback/archives/2005/07/1325.html

Luvin Labs
08-01-2005, 06:12 PM
UM

did anything happen to the employees of that man? THEY took the doggies from the pound and drowned the doggies. Yes the employer ordered them to do that, but last time I checked you don't have to obey every order from your boss, ESPECIALLY IF IT INVOLVES ILLEGAL ACTIVITY like drowning doggies :(

ugh, i'm disgusted