PDA

View Full Version : Red Tide on FL Beaches. :(

Kfamr
07-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Ugh, we've been plagued with red tide lately. I guess it's supposed to start receeding now and going out to sea, but my friends and I went to the beach the other day and it drove me CRAZY. We also saw 1 dead fish, i'm sure there were more. I've been dying to take Kiara to the beach but I don't want her getting sick from the red tide, it made me sneeze and cough miserably and i've never had allergies or anything of the sort.

I'm supposed to be meeting up with a lady named Jennifer from another forum, they just bought a house in St. Petersburg but she can't go near the beaches because she has horrible allergies and the red tide is making everyone around here miserable.
There's some areas where they don't have the money to clean up all of the dead fish. :(

It's so sad things like this are happening to the fishies and we can't do anything about it, in the mean time we have to suffer with the nasty smells.

luvofallhorses
07-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Sorry I'm confused :o What's Red Tide :confused: :o

Lexi_Lover
07-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Kay, what exactly is Red Tide? It sounds horrible, and I bet Ki is just itchin' to go to the beach! :(

Karen
07-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Yup - land-locked folks are the first to ask. Red tide is actually an "algae bloom" it hit here earlier in the season. It affects shellfish and other fish, and they have to close off entire areas of the ocean floor to commercial harvesting when it happens. That really affects fishermen's livelihoods up here.

Here (http://www.whoi.edu/sbl/liteSite.do?litesiteid=3230) is a good informative site about it.

Kfamr
07-30-2005, 12:02 PM
What Karen said! :p

It kills all the fishies and drive people/animals with allergies crazy. :(

Suki Wingy
07-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Aw, that is really too bad! Poor fishies, and poor people, and poor Ki! I have allergies, so I can imagine what it would be like!:(

CountryWolf07
07-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Ugh, that sucks, Kay.. I hope that goes away soon! Does it last a long time or short time?