PDA

View Full Version : Special prayers for Eddie PLEASE!!

Laura's Babies
07-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Eddie is doing so GREAT and I will tell you all the latest great news... but first...

We really need some very special prayers for Eddies emotional well being. He is reliving being on fire in his sleep. I had to sit with him the other night for awhile after he went to sleep and he started moving, jerking and thrashing around so bad that it scared me and I jumped up to look at him. He was making all the motions of jumping around, beating the fire off of him... There was NO doubt in my mind what he was doing in his sleep or what he was dreaming. So he really needs so special prayers for his emotional well being and recovery. PLEASE, pray hard that the trama to his emotional well being will quickly pass and that it can soon be just a bad memory and nothing to fear....

The good news now... Edddie was moved OUT of the Burn Trama Unit and is in Stepdown. That means he is no longer in critical care.. BUT, he has surgery again on Aug. 3 and will have to go back to BTU, but for now, he is out of there. He is going to the gym for physical therapy EVERY day now and has graduated from having to go in the Cardiac chair to a regular wheel chair and we can wheel him all over, anywhere he wants to go now!!! Yesterday he walked 35 feet with a walker and pushed himself 150 feet without assistance in the wheelchair. He is having to learn balance and stuff all over gain but he is doing everything so fast that even his therapist is amazed. She tells him to do more and he tells her he CAN'T and the whole time he is saying he can't, he is doing it! I have cried so many tears of joy this week that it could float that boat I work on. Monday, when he first walked at the parrallel bars, I just sat there and cried the biggest tears of joy that you ever saw. He is fully awake, smiling, laughing and his old self. God is at work here and Eddie is being rebuilt so I say "God at work- Eddie under construction"

On Monday July 23, the day I arrived, Eddie got to go outside and see his sweet little grandbabies that he had not seen for 80+ days. All of them came and the happiness that it brought to his face was enough to melt anyones heart. He got to see his little grand daughter walk! She started walking after his accident so he had not seen her walking. He got to see his youngest grandson crawl.. Eddie fits that Grandpa role better than most and he really enjoys being a Grandpa so seeing those babies brought super extra joy to his heart.

furrykidsmother
07-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Eddie sure seems to be making wonderful progress. I pray that he continues to and I also pray that he will not be haunted by the fire that caused this. He has been in my prayers since this happened.

sirrahbed
07-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Laura - I had to stop and say a special prayer just now for Eddie. I know what a flashback is as I have PTSD and sometimes relive something terrifying that happened to me. It gets better and I pray that with Eddie it is not anything recurring or longterm. That must have torn your mother-heart up to watch!:(

BUT, so much good news as well!!!:D I am so happy to read about his progress - every step is so exciting:) Yes, I can only imagine the joy that seeing those grandbabies must have brought him - can't bottle THAT medicine:D :D

dukedogsmom
07-30-2005, 10:17 AM
I am so glad that he's making such great progress. From what I've seen on burn patients, it's a very painful thing to go through. I hope he can stop dreaming about it so that will put his mind at peace. It must have been very traumatic for him. This is his body's way of healing so maybe the dreams will stop. I'm glad he's doing so well in his waking hours and that he's in good spirits.

ChrisH
07-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Extra prayers for Eddie on the way.

Barbara
07-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Keeping fingers crossed and sending best thoughts for Eddie!

I just cannot imagine how hard it must be to go through something like that:(

momoffuzzyfaces
07-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Prayers on the way from me too!

catnapper
07-30-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm not surprised he'd have such night terrors. I do hope he finds peace and those dreams fade into oblivion. Many prayers still coming for Eddie.

QueenScoopalot
07-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Is there any medication the hospital can give Eddie to calm these awful terrors? :confused: I'd be afraid he'd tear his healing skin up! As always, I'm sending pryers that Eddie can get a peaceful nights sleep, and that the flashbacks stop. That's wonderful news about his progress while awake! It must have made him so happy to see his grandbabies. :) :) :)

jenluckenbach
07-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Many prayers AND congratulations to Eddie!

Laura's Babies
08-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Each day brings new and wonderful things for Eddie. Sunday was a very special day for him and Regina... Here is last nights post that she posted on his web sight. (Pay close attention to that last paragraph!!!)

We had a great day today. Eddie walked around the pod with his walker -a little more than 200 feet! He had to stop and rest a few times and once had to sit in his wheelchair for a couple of minutes. But he did good. He had some serious stretching done too, I declare that he absolutely cringes when his Drill Sargeant comes in. Laura has pointed out that one day he'll thank her for all she's done and doing but I don't think that it will be anytime this week. I couldn't do it, when he begs to stop whatever I'm doing I STOP! The therapist has finally come to understand that I won't push him to the point that he cringes when he sees me coming, that's her job! I don't have the necessary toughness for that job. He's come so far though, we see it everyday, his progress is astounding!

Amber and Ame' came for a visit today and we all had lunch together, that was nice. Eddie really enjoys spending time with the grandbabies and Ame' loves her GrandEddie. She wouldn't give kisses to anyone except him today, he ate that up!

The reason I'm doing today's update today instead of Laura is to announce that I've got a car now. It's a '95 Chrysler Concorde and it's nice. I brought it here and Eddie was waiting outside at the river pavillion to check it out! He looked inside the front, driver's side, back seat, in the trunk and under the hood. I swear that if he could have managed it he'd have looked UNDER the car as well. He was very impressed and has already expressed the desire to be it's driver once he's well and the Volvo is fixed - we'll see about that later! He told his mother as I drove away "Man, that's a fine car, a lot better than I thought it would be." What that car did for his spirits can't be overstated, he was VERY impressed. I can't thank everyone enough for the support, prayer and financial, it's awesome. Our church really got into the car hunt and the Concorde was test driven by the Pastor and one of the elders both of whom pronounced it a good car. Then they talked the car dealership into not selling me the car but giving it to me - AND THEY DID! Talk about answered prayer! I'd not been able to raise quite enough to consider going car shopping but now I don't need to! Thank you everyone for all that you did, it's appreciated - every bit! Eddie wanted me to be sure that ya'll knew how much he appreciates everything that folks have done for us and you have my thanks many, many times over. God Bless each of you and please continue to pray for Eddie and his Angels! Regina

catlover4ever
08-02-2005, 09:17 AM
OK, well I'm sitting here at work with tears in my eyes.

Laura I am so happy to read that Eddie is making such wonderful progress. I'm sorry to hear about the night terrors and pray that they will be just a distant memory soon.

Laura's Babies
08-02-2005, 07:24 PM
They have him on anti anxity drugs, I don't know if they are a result of the nightmares or he maybe already had been on them. No one has mentioned nightmares since that night I saw him having them so I don't know if he has them now and then, every night or what.... That has to be scarey as all get out for him to relive that day.

Logan
08-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Laura, the generosity of people never ceases to amaze me. I think it is tremendous that Regina and Eddie were gifted that car. They deserve it. What a huge weight off of her mind, too.

I'm keeping Eddie in my prayers, continuously. I hope that physically and emotionally, his improvement will continue.

Logan

luvofallhorses
08-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Prayers on the way (((hugs)))

Killearn Kitties
08-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Great news about how well Eddie is doing with his physiotherapy and I very much hope that the flashbacks are short term. That must be such a difficult thing to deal with.

Fantastic news about the car though! I'm glad that they had a bit of good luck there. They deserve it!

Laura's Babies
08-06-2005, 06:43 PM
I am posting from home now, I came home today.

Eddie had surgery again Thursday. More Epicel on his arms and legs, patching what they did before that did not take. He is back in BTU (burn, trama, unit), they moved him back Wednesday night. It is harder for him now to be completely bedridden after having the freedom he had this last week. He will have to be in bed for 10 days with arms extended, not moving for 10 days. EUCK! We had finally got him weaned away from wanting to stay in that bed all the time and he came to enjoy his time out of the bed, out of that room and getting about around the hospital.

I wanted to tell you all about his walk the morning of the surgery. They brought a gurney to get him instead of taking him down in his bed like they did before and his physical therapist was there and told him he had to get up and walk out in the hall to the gurney.. FOLKS...... When he came walking out of his room, ALL the nurses in BTU stopped what they were doing and WATCHED him walk to the gurney (with a walker) and get on it all by himself.
You have never seen so many grinning nurses in your life! They were as proud of him walking as I was but they had the knolage that THEY are the ones that got him this far and now they were seeing the results of all the wonderful care they gave him. They were so PROUD of him and it showed... That was a WONDERFUL moment we all shared and I wanted to share it with all of you...