PDA

View Full Version : How would your pet react to a burglar

lizbud
02-25-2002, 07:55 PM
What if it's none of the above? Buddy would not welcome
ignore, hide or attack an intruder. He would bark loudly &
face the person and alert me to the situation. He would
not attack unless the person acted in a threating way
to me... This seems like a "all or nothing" kind of question.?

Pam
02-25-2002, 09:15 PM
Since I have 3 pets I really have two answers, but I answered on behalf of the cats since they are in the majority. They would definitely hide! :) Bella would probably wag her tail but she would keep her distance.

Kfamr
02-25-2002, 09:27 PM
Simba would definatly attack them. People who know us or that should be in our house know better to nock and lets us know befor coming in

Crikit
02-25-2002, 10:17 PM
it's none of the above...or actually a combination. Smudge would bark like mad until the person actually started to walk in the house and then he would try to get away while still barking, while Winter knowing her she would bark at Smudge and then try to herd him, I guess it wouldn't be so bad if Wint decided to herd the theif right of the house :)

Former User
02-26-2002, 02:33 AM
Having cats, they would just run and hide, and hope the burglar would finish his/her job fast! :rolleyes:

lizbud
02-26-2002, 10:15 AM
OOOPS,forgot the kitties.

Red and Mikey run whenever the doorbell rings,
so I would imagine that would run from a burglar.
Blackie and Pumkin are much more nosey & would
probably hang around to watch them. Liz.

Randi
02-26-2002, 10:37 AM
Fister would be under the bed in no time!! But if the burgler came too close and he feels cornered, he would probably attack! :cool: He has already sent two people to hospital, but he was only defending himself! ;)

Edwina's Secretary
02-26-2002, 11:11 AM
This makes me think of the time my husband and I locked ourselves out of the house. We were on our way out of town for the weekend and carried a piece of furniture out of the house -- closing the door after us so the cat wouldn't get out. She didn't. The door locked (we hadn't lived in the house long and weren't yet very familiar with its workings.)

We had a ladder on the side of the garage so we climbed onto a roof. This roof is under the guest room window. That is Edwina's favorite window and at the time we had very old windows -- the kind that crank open in two sections. Fortunately, I always keep the bedroom windows open a bit -- (some thing I have about heathier sleeping.) Because I have smaller hands/arms than my husband, my job was to somehow get my hand through the window, knock the screen out, crank the window open, climb through, and open the door. It was summer and hot.

During this entire process -- which I successfully completed, Edwina sat in the window and watched! Her head tilted, a quizical look on her face -- she ignored my pleas to open the window, unlock the door! (She also ignored the language I used as I scrapped the skin off my arm, sweating in my nice "going to visit the in-laws outfit", and skinned my knees climbing in the window.)

Answer to the question - what would she do if there was a burgler -- Edwina would watch but she wouldn't help! :rolleyes:

wolflady
02-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Edwina's, that is just to cat-typical!!! LOL LOL Luckily you were able to get into the house!! It's funny when things like that happen, and your pets are inside...and can't do anything about your predicament!!
I can imagine that if there was a burglar in the the house...he/she would trip over my sleeping cat! :rolleyes:

sammi
02-26-2002, 12:38 PM
I have often heard that humans give off a different scent (from behind the ears) that dogs can sence when you are fearful. Not sure how Buddy would react as he is really not a barker or gets worked up about anything. But one time my husband came home sick (he was working nights then) about 3 am and Buddy did not hear him pull in the driveway and when he was unlocking the door Buddy really gave out a loud deep growl !! Otherwise he loves about everybody that comes to the door. So I don't know but I think I feel safe with Buddy around.

jennifert
02-26-2002, 01:25 PM
Duncan would without a doubt, bark,snarl, growl, leap, anything and everything at the burglar. If the burglar was still brave enough to actually get INTO the house, he would be lucky to leave with both arms and hands intact....I feel very safe with Duncan in the house, but for those of you who have heard my "other" Duncan stories, he would do this to friends and family sometimes too so it's a catch-22!

*LabLoverKEB*
02-26-2002, 09:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that Sadie would bark, and growl at first, and if the person came into the house, she would deffineatley attack! She is such a sweetheart, but just very protective!:) ;)

KITTKAT
02-26-2002, 10:54 PM
WELL, :rolleyes: I HAVE AN IRISH WOLFHOUND (BRONTE) SO PROBABLE IF THEY SAW HER THEY WOULD RUN BUT SHE WOULD COUNTINUE TO BARK AND ALERT US, IF THEY GOT CLOSE SHE WOULD GROWL BUT SHE HAS NOT BEEN TRAINED TO ATTACK SO IT WOULD BE HER OWN PERSONALLY CHOICE TO RUN OR BITE.:)

LoudLou
02-26-2002, 11:01 PM
Louie would bark... and bark..and BARK-- But if they pick up a Tennis ball, He'd be their best friend!

Bonzo Bean would follow them around meowing and showing them all his neat stuff.

And Mocha Bean would sit on top of the Fridge demanding " Where's the cheese!";)

momoffuzzyfaces
02-27-2002, 03:21 PM
My four cat boys would race each other to see who could get under the bed first. Oops! Now the burglars will know where they are. :)

evelyn1157
02-27-2002, 10:51 PM
zoey would most probably run happily towards the burglar and greet him :(

C.C.'s Mom
02-28-2002, 03:45 AM
Cookie likes anyone entering the house, never barks and greets you with a smile and a paw to shake. She'll give you everything you want, as long as you leave the bed for her. For Yummies she'll most probably even help you carry our belongings out of the house.

Eddy will dance around any man entering our house, and as long as she's petted and talked too, she'll be no problem either to burglars. If it's a woman, she'll bite in fingers and than go upstairs to sleep on the bed Cookie arranged to be not stolen. If any burglar brings a toolcase, she'll sit on it and start to wash herself.

Rudie will hide in the basement under the stairs and won't come out unless I call for him.

Good that we've got a house alarm.... just in case!

Randi
02-28-2002, 06:41 AM
LOL LOL LOL everybody!!

Many years ago, my father told me this story: A cousin in his family was a policeman and they had been out one evening and given the key to some friend to let himself in the house. The police dog was there. This friend had no problem getting in, but after doing something in the kitchen, there was NO WAY he could get out again. So there he was, sitting on the kitchen table when they came back!:D

aly
02-28-2002, 10:57 AM
Hahaha! That sounds so funny Randi!!

lynnestankard
02-28-2002, 11:29 AM
Once again - we've proved it - apart from the odd strong boy out there, we all keep a complete range of wussies!!

Ketchum would dash upstairs and hide under the bed and not come out for days!!
Dan would greet burglars like long lost friends and as long as they gave him a stroke and scritch of the neck - they'd have no problem!!
Bagel would sit and watch!!

:D :D :D

Lynne

jackiesdaisy1935
02-28-2002, 05:24 PM
Absolutely no doubt in my mind, Perry would attack him to death and Daisy would bark him to death~ Jackie, Miss Daisy and Perry

lizbud
02-28-2002, 06:14 PM
WAY TO GO PERRY & DAISY !!!

Hey, those burgler's might be after YOUR STUFF.
you can't be too careful. LOL... Buddy & Liz.

evelyn1157
02-28-2002, 10:38 PM
i have a friend who had a dog last time which knew where his human family hid their spare key.he bit the spare key out of its secret place and handed it to the burglar. :D :D :D

lynnestankard
03-01-2002, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by evelyn1157
i have a friend who had a dog last time which knew where his human family hid their spare key.he bit the spare key out of its secret place and handed it to the burglar. :D :D :D

Oh wow - LOL LOL Evelyn. Bet the owners loved him for that!!!!

Lynne

shais_mom
03-02-2002, 12:52 AM
Kylie the cat would probably do more than Keegan the dog. Of course if I am not there, and Keegan is in the crate then I am really screwed!

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-02-2002, 01:15 AM
LOL LOL

absolutely no doubt in my mind, Perry would attack him to death and Daisy would bark him to death
(i hope i did my quote right)
We have an alarm and every night when we get off from work and we set the alarm off coming in Tinky runs to the door. One day I was watching t.v. on the couch and Tinky was laying with me and Eric, my husband, accidentally set off the alarm from the garage door in the kitchen and Tinky ran to the door and sat there meowing, waiting for us to come in. Silly cat did she not remember just laying on me:p :) . So I would have to say she would greet him at the door, but she is shy of strangers so she would hide after she figured out it wasn't us.

Randi
07-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Bump! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
07-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Mine would bark their heads off then Tobey would rush to choose a toy to play with and Archie would want to be let out to pee/bark/generally annoy the neighbours

cassiesmom
07-16-2008, 12:33 PM
She would march right up to the burglar and demand to receive petting.

Taz_Zoee
07-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Zoee would probably bark for a few seconds and if/when the burglar talked to her she'd do her butt waggle and be all excited. This is what she does with people when we ARE home.
Although, I have no idea how she'd react if we weren't home. I've been tempted to have someone she has never met come into the house while we are away and see what she would do.
Ohhh, I know!! We are going to have a co-worker of mine power wash our deck. I should test it then. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-16-2008, 03:26 PM
It depends on the cat!!

-> Maya would greet the burglar by rubbing his legs
-> Inka would run to the kitchen and ask to open the box with catfood
-> Zazou and Snoopy would hide behind the curtains

lol

Suki Wingy
07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
I've always been curious. All I know for sure is there would be some loud barking, and the chance of a bite would increase depending on how scared the person was. Niño does NOT like people who are afraid, I think it really confuses him.

cali
07-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Happy-bark and snarl, but if they so much as made any kind of move that might indicate harm to anyone or anything she would attack. even work men that come to the house, Happy will follow their every move, she is completly calm about it, desnt behave threatening in any way, but she will never remove her eyes from the person, where they go, she goes, and I have no doubt that if they tried anything that she would do something about it. what depends on what they tried to pull, she is an awsome judge what warrents what.

Misty-bark and snap.

Electra-run up to say hi to her new best friend.

Ripley, Perky and Rusty would all bite first, ask questions later.

only an idiot would break into my house anyway lol. Electra and Happy are the ony dogs not locked up when were not home anyway, but intruders wont know that, all they will know is they get anywhere near my house and it will sound like there are 100 dogs on the property.

lute
07-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Beanie and Talon would greet them with a waggy tail.

Gracie and Chloe would be very different. I know for a fact an unwanted intruder wouldn't make it past the front door. We have a problem with Chloe growling and barking at visitors.

shepgirl
07-16-2008, 09:31 PM
I think my male would keep them at bay...I hope so at least. They are trained to never bite or show aggressiveness so it's hard to tell if they were alone what they would do...

Jessika
07-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Charlie would probably freak out because he's afraid of strange people. Jamie would probably bark since my in-laws' dog has taught her to bark any time anyone walks in the front door... (VERY annoying habit I've been trying so hard to get her to stop doing but they don't make it easy... she's a social barker!), so Jamie would probably start barking and then try licking them to death when they came inside... lol.

UNLESS they were wearing a ski mask or something of the sort; she is TERRIFIED of people in costume!!

molucass
07-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Alizé tries to act like a tough girl, but in reality, I believe if someone actually came in the house, she probably would just run behind me and bark at them..

She tries to stand in between me and other people she doesn't know when we go to Petsmart or other places. Basically any where we are when shes with me. She doesn't growl or bark. She just stands there watching them. She doesn't take her eyes off of them the entire time.

It's hard to say with her.. But I do think if she thought I was in harms way, she would do her best to try to protect me.. Even though she is still a pup.

Deebo on the other hand is very vocal.. If anyone comes in the house that he hasn't met before, he will bark and growl at them almost the entire time they are here.. If we pick him up and let him get used to them, he will eventually let them pet him.. But he is very particular as to who he likes and doesn't like.. We have to be careful with him because he has the "Little Dog Complex". He will bite you if you provoke him.

Casper
07-19-2008, 01:27 PM
All I have to say is that I would almost feel sorry for anyone who came into this house without permission while we weren't here.

-Ethan is the one to worry about. He hates most men, and you can't wear masks around him without him getting riled up. When male friends/family visit we usually have to put Ethan out back or hold his collar until he figures they are okay. He tends to sneak up on people and bite at their ankles if we don't watch him like a hawk.

-Frisk would be another to keep your eye on. As long as we are here, all he does is bark. He has never ever bitten a stranger, but I know what he is capable of. About two years ago he bit my mum's hand, sending her to the ER to get stitches. It was all a misunderstanding, and there are no hard feelings. Mum admits it was her fault she got bitten.

-Skylar would most likely stand at a distance and bark. That would probably be enough to send most burglars running, though. He is a big dog, with a bark to match. ;]

The cats? They would all run to their hiding places and let the dogs do their work.

pitc9
07-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Sierra would sneak around behind them and nip them on the butt, :rolleyes: then run away and let Buddy take care of business.

Buddy would freak. There would be a lot of Very loud barking and a few nips. I don't think he'd grab a hold of the person.
But, If the person were hurting me... that would be a different story, I think he might tear into the person then.

shais_mom
07-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Kylie the cat would probably do more than Keegan the dog. Of course if I am not there, and Keegan is in the crate then I am really screwed!

well over the years this has changed since Keegan isn't a puppy anymore!
I am pretty sure both cats would tuck and run. Altho Kloe with the claws might do some damage.
Keegan I think would sound like she would take their head off but to come down to DO it- I'm not sure she would.
Keegan is a big hunk of burning love, but - her sheer size is intiminating. But quite frankly, I'm not sure WHAT she would do if a stranger tried to enter my home and my parents home. She does just fine when 2 of my neighbor men come over to let her out when I work 12 hour shifts, but one time my dad was coming into their home with his cousin who Keegan has only met a few times, Bud was first (hadta pee) coming in the door and Keegan's hackles were raised, she was snarling and baring her teeth at him. It took my dad a second to get over the shock of seeing/hearing her do that and he hollered "KEEGAN" and she instantly stopped and started wagging her tail. Bud was saying if she doesn't quit I'm gonna pee right here!!! Another time my dad was coming home when she was there and he thought he'd get her all excited - he was knocking on doors and ringing the door bell, but when he went to open the door she lunged and did the same thing as before. He shut the door real fast and thought "OH SHIT". He said Keegan, and it turned her off. Awhile ago I was going out and one of the people wanted me to spend the night and I was like I can't I have a dog at home, she said oh ask Todd to come let her out, and I said no way. She has met Todd (from work) once and after the way she reacted at my parents house I'm not sure how'd she react to him.
I'm not sure I've EVER seen her bare her teeth other than when she wants a tennis ball!

Laurel Mc
07-24-2008, 11:52 PM
I don't know.

I know there would be lots of barking and a burglar probably would not enter.

I have a fenced yard and a dog door so mine have access to house and yard. I once had an exterminator come unexpectedly when I didn't have anyone to meet him. He said they were both fine. One hid in the doghouse and peeped out at him. (70lb bassador) The other ran behind the dog house but would try to sneak up on him and he would yell and she would run. (50lb blue heeler mix)

I also had my cousin cut my yard. He was going to be on a riding mower so I wasn't too concerned, but told him to watch out for the blue because she has been aggressive before with men and not to worry about the other one because he is scared of everything. He told me that the blue was fine, but the other one chased him around the yard while he was on the mower and tried to eat him up. I would have to see a video to actually believe that one. My bassador has never been aggressive with ANYTHING. The only time I have ever seen him protective was when I walked up and tried to pet a horse in a fence when I was walking him. He had never seen a horse or anything like it so he freaked out, barked, growled...his idea of protection was to bite my pants and pull me back while HIDING BEHIND ME.

I know my blue would attack if someone threatened me.

Puckstop31
08-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Beezer would bark like mad. Also, knowing how he is with Hannah, I bet he would do his best to place himself between the intruder and Hannah. Beezer would be better than any alarm system. I feel confident he would give me the 10-15 seconds I would need to get the home defence shotgun into play.

Now, on the other hand... Our lovely Belle... LOL. As long as they did not try to take the couch she happened to be laying on, she would not care what happened. LOL

Cataholic
08-04-2008, 12:56 PM
This thread has brought up some names I haven't seen in a while! Hope all is doing well.

My cats...hmmm....Gus and Dakky would dart away quickly, perhaps both attempting to fit through a one-cat max door way at the same time, causing the other to thump into the door. Funny, but not, at the same time.

Allie would skulk low and look, knowing chances are good she will want to say hello.

Monte would probably run TO the door, if only to slither out like only a black panther can slither. You would not believe the number of times that cat can slither out, all cause he is black and your eye doesn't pick him up.

Arizona, the 'kitten'? I think she would just lay on the floor and take things in as they approach her. She might 'attack' if you had food, or something.

Taz_Zoee
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Well, my friend came to wash the deck and Zoee barked as usual. Then he got in a funny stance, like playful position and after that she wanted nothing to do with him. She wouldn't even come up to him to take treats. Well, she took the treats but then backed away quickly.
So I'm afraid if anyone came in and made aggresive moves toward her she'd retreat. I honestly believe a male harmed her while she was at the breeders. Because when we first got her she wouldn't take treats from Bruce, only from me. :( My poor baby.

Zippy
08-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Pumpkin would hide and Zippy would most likely greet them.

Christmas_Hamster
08-29-2008, 09:08 AM
My dog Blue has scared burglars away before so bark like mad and attack if the burglar tried to hurt any of his people.

My cats would probably watch the burglar. The rats would beg for treats, the gerbils would hide, the fish would beg for food and the hamsters would either beg for treats or keep doing what ever.

Oggyflute
08-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Our schnauzers would bark like mad. They have a very deep and loud bark. Possum, our rescue girl, would just go them. They would end up with no tendons & kneecaps. Of course if we've invited someone in, they all just clamor to get hugs & kisses.

Lori Jordan
10-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Its funny how all animals react isnt it?

Maggy Would growl..Not sure if she would do anything.

Lacy I dont think she would do anything,unless one of us was in Harms way.

Molly Would help the Person or Persons carry everything out.

And..

Storm I think he would be devastated and just run and Hide,He was such a happy little guy he just would not understand the situation.

carole
10-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Having only kitties , they would run and hide, ellie would panic terribly and probably hurt herself trying to get out, she is such a scaredy cat, hope it never happens thats for sure.,if it were during the day, they could escape out of the cat door.

RipplingWaves55
11-13-2008, 08:06 AM
A burglar? That's a very rare chance of happening in my neighborhood, but my dogs would go through the fence and AT LEAST eat their hand off..:eek:

Katy's Mum
11-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Katy would roll over for her tum to be tickled probably :):love:

Twisterdog
11-23-2008, 09:00 PM
They would bark their fool heads off until the burglar talked to them, then they would all run over, jump on him, lick him and want petted.

All except Pepper, who would hide in her crate and bark. Of course, she does that when my brother or son come over, too. :rolleyes:

Fett
12-04-2008, 10:09 PM
At the noise of someone breaking in, both cats would hide, both dogs would bark, and then Chipper would run up to the intruder and lick any exposed skin the person might have showing.... a lot.

pomtzu
12-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Myndi would bark ferociously from under the bed! On the other hand, Sparky would bark likewise while keeping his distance - but of course if the intruder was savvy enough to have a dog treat with him and offered it to Sparky - then Sparky would happily show him around the place! :eek:

Taz_Zoee
12-05-2008, 11:29 PM
I've only had Taggart for almost a month, but I'd guess he'd probably lay down and roll over for a tummy rub. :p
I think I already posted about Zoee on this thread.

kokopup
01-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Koko, is not a watchdog but she will bark if someone she doesn't know drives up. We have a very large front porch where she spends a lot of time both during the day and evening. It has a gate to keep her from roaming. The UPS man, meter readers and Mailman do not get so much as a woof when they drive up. She usually stands up on the gate, tail wagging, to greet them. She has never shown aggression to people so if the burglar spoke to her she would probably stop barking and greet him with wags. I feel very safe with her around because she will always bark at unknown sounds. If I was being attacked I believe she would defend me. A Pit bull attacked me in my yard once and to my surprise she tore into him like a guard dog. He quickly left my property with his tail between his legs. This same PIT was later put down by authorities for killing a neighbors pet goats.

Bonny
01-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Both dogs would bark & growl. They do that when deer are in the yard at night. If a burglar entered the house Missy the Australian Shepherd would bark & growl & probably walk up for a pet on the head eventually. Baxter the Australian Cattle Dog (is one we have to watch all the time). He would work his way around the burglar & nip him/her in the butt.

ParrotAnnie
01-19-2009, 04:59 PM
My budgie, Philip, would probably shout ''hellooooooooooooo, hellooooo'' and press his face to his cage bars and ask for a ''Tickle tickle, tickle ticklllllllleeeeee'' and then inform the burglar that ''Im a sexxxxxy little budgie, a little budgie''.
All in all, he wouldnt be much use as a guard :D

Karen
01-19-2009, 05:35 PM
You know, we always figured our Saint Bernard, Freckles, that we had when I was a kid would welcome the burglar in, and slobber him or her with kisses. But the one time she was barking in the night enough to wake me up - I had the only bedroom on the first floor at the time - I glanced out the window, told her "Barking at ghosts? There's nothing out there, go to sleep."

Turns out our neighbor across the field's apartment was robbed that night! We apologized to Freckles, quite surprised.

lizbud
01-22-2009, 06:35 PM
You know, we always figured our Saint Bernard, Freckles, that we had when I was a kid would welcome the burglar in, and slobber him or her with kisses. But the one time she was barking in the night enough to wake me up - I had the only bedroom on the first floor at the time - I glanced out the window, told her "Barking at ghosts? There's nothing out there, go to sleep."

Turns out our neighbor across the field's apartment was robbed that night! We apologized to Freckles, quite surprised.

Wow, she knew there was something not right. I guess we don't give them
credit for their instincts sometimes.:)

P.S. Do you notice how old this thread is? This was back when Buddy was
still with me.:( Bless his heart.:(

Amanda+12
01-28-2009, 12:30 AM
My lab, Maggie would bark her head off until he/she talked to her, then she would jump all over 'em and act like she knew them, and they finally came back to her. :rolleyes:

My Jack Russel, Harley would definitely attack! every stranger he sees he bites their ankles.

My cat, Fez probably wouldn't even wake up. Or he would just lay there.

funny felines
02-19-2009, 06:22 PM
well at first, as soon as someone was in the yard, they would all 'freeze in place', look out there, as soon as someone would actually come in, they would all run and hide, except Snickers, she would go up to the burglar,roll over and wait for a belly rub!

Jags mom
04-05-2009, 01:32 PM
i have 2 siberian huskies, and they would do nothing. i came home one day and prettended to break the door down, they didnt even get off my bed. we have a large window by the door so we can see everything. pretty pathetic. once a stranger comes in they may get licked to death by Jag and Alaska would hide as usual

aTailOf2Kitties
04-05-2009, 02:44 PM
my cats would point towards the rear of the house and say "all the good stuff is back there..... by the way can you operate a can opener by some chance?"

katladyd
04-08-2009, 02:04 AM
My older cat, Macgyver, would run into another room. My Meezer, Ming, would walk up to them and greet them with a most regal air.

Bella_Sadie_Hailey
05-11-2009, 11:07 PM
My dogs would probably attack an intruder if they thought they needed to do so.