PDA

View Full Version : Licks us to Death !!

Liz
02-09-2001, 07:59 AM
I just got a lovely 1 year old, spayed female,Shep/lab mix from the pound. She is a sweetheart and was generally well cared for it seems. Some behavior issues, but the first one I want to correct if I can is her licking. She actually prefers to lick you rather than to be petted. It's like she cant bear the time getting petted takes away from her "lick time". She really does do it constantly and she even licks the floor so I realize it is something she hasnt learned to control. Also, she really wants to lick your face the most, so she expends a lot of effort trying to reach it. Zero agression, just too much passion! Any suggestions or similar experience?

RachelJ
02-09-2001, 08:17 AM
For some dogs licking can be a friendly dominance (according to Brian Kilcommons, a dog trainer) He advocates putting on a leash and telling your dog "no lick". If the dog stops, you should praise her verbally. If she doesn't you should give her a corrective snap of the training collar, then praise if she withdraws.

Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson's book
"Good Owners, Great Dogs" if a good reference book you might want to check out.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited February 09, 2001).]

carrie
02-10-2001, 11:42 AM
This kind of obsessive licking, especially to the face, is a submissive behaviour. Can you give some details of the other behaviour your dog is showing? It sounds like a very submissive dog that is doing what it thinks you want - showing submissiveness. You are it's God and it's paying homage!
I think this dog needs some confidence but if you let us know some of your other behaviour concerns the picture may be a little clearer (she sounds lovely, by the way!) - thanks.

Liz
02-10-2001, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by carrie:
This kind of obsessive licking, especially to the face, is a submissive behaviour. Can you give some details of the other behaviour your dog is showing? It sounds like a very submissive dog that is doing what it thinks you want - showing submissiveness. You are it's God and it's paying homage!
I think this dog needs some confidence but if you let us know some of your other behaviour concerns the picture may be a little clearer (she sounds lovely, by the way!) - thanks.-----She is lovely.
She came from the pound, twice in her short one year. I got her a few days ago, have her prior vet records which show prior owner also rescued her. Behaviours: Jumps up, urinates in front of you, occaisonal poop. (once). I think she has been thru alot and has not received any discipline. She is restless and stays at my heels. I

carrie
02-10-2001, 03:22 PM
Thanks for that.
Bless her, she sounds like she's been through quite a bit.
I think this a very confused soul who doesn't know if she's coming or going or when that is going to be!
I would suggest that some confidence building is what this dog needs, both in herself and in you. She is showing deference but is so unsure what to do or what is happening next.
Go gently and use the reward only system at first. I think that teaching her some basics pretty quickly is the way to go. Even if she already knows the commands the object is to teach her how to accept the reward process and take that in her stride too.
Start with the sit on the lead, when she obeys give her very quiet, calm verbal praise, "Good girl" will be enough. Give her a treat and remove your hand once it is accepted. Walk a few paces and sit again. If she is doing this well try it off the lead. If she does this well add the stay, using a hand signal as well (your hand up, palm towards her) and move two steps back from her, wait for two seconds and go back to her. Give the same praise as before. Do this with the down too. No physical praise until she is calm and sure of what is going to happen and what is expected.

In the house teach her to lie on her bed following the same method. Never give her any physical praise if she asks for it - she must understand that this is up to you and she is not welcome all the time. It's also important that she knows that she's fine and can cope with life without being stuck to your leg! When she has been lying on her bed for a few minutes go to her and give a treat and calm verbal praise, then bend down and stroke her gently on the head. As soon as tries to lick - move away from her. She'll get the message and will feel happier and more secure once she understands the rules.
She sounds like the kind of dog that, once you have built a relationship with her, will be fantastic to train as she will be very willing to please.

I hope this helps, please let us know how you get on with her. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by carrie (edited February 10, 2001).]

ownerof3dogs
02-10-2001, 05:04 PM
mybe for comfedence you could take an agility class. it builds confedence and burns off energy

carrie
02-11-2001, 05:54 PM
That's a great idea, but for a little later on I think.
This is still only a pup and is on her third home already so she may find a training class overwhelming and frightening until a bond of trust has been established and she has settled in - but definitely something to think about for the future.

Angels3
02-11-2001, 09:02 PM
Liz, I'm so glad that such a sweetheart dog has found her forever home with you...especially as you are so prepared to work caringly but firmly on her behaviours. And it's so true, she's had such a confused time in her short life. The suggestions from Carrie & the others are so good & helpful.
We've had 2 dogs which came from 'privileged' backgrounds...from top breeders who showed them. But they had problems like separation anxiety & dominance (too much). We followed along with knowledgeable advice about dog training & now some years later, their behaviour is great. So wonderful dogs emerge from all the work you put into caring behaviour training. And your sweetheart will be even more of a sweetheart! Please keep in touch to tell us how things are going.

Liz
02-13-2001, 08:02 AM
thank you all so much. I will let you know how we do.

RachelJ
02-13-2001, 08:40 AM
When I first got Tucker who had been a stray, then at a Shelter, then with another family for a very short time; he stayed as close as he could to me, right by my feet at my desk as I worked. I had to be careful that I didn't roll over his foot when I moved my desk chair. Gradually he started venturing out into the other room to where my other dog plants herself during the day. Soon he was staying there with her. Initially he didn't want to go outside unless she was with him, but with his being an early riser and her a late sleeper that early morning rising created a problem for her and eventually (although this did take some time) he figured out he could go out on his own.

I think you will find that as your dog builds trust that you are going to be there for her and she can depend on you and you are not going to desert her like the others, she will develop the confidence she needs to function. Most dogs thrive a good daily routine. I find that a special time for play, exercise and individual attention as well as "lessons" is very helpful.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited February 13, 2001).]

denny
02-25-2001, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Liz:
[This is because she is groveling to you by grooming you, she is unsure of her position in "the pack" I have 2 dogs,had some problems,they all dissapeard whrn I followed the advice in a book I bought by a lady in England,called Jan Fennel."the dog listener" it is based on the work by monty roberts the horse whisperer. Its available via amazon inEngland, and is printed by harper collins. B]I just got a lovely 1 year old, spayed female,Shep/lab mix from the pound. She is a sweetheart and was generally well cared for it seems. Some behavior issues, but the first one I want to correct if I can is her licking. She actually prefers to lick you rather than to be petted. It's like she cant bear the time getting petted takes away from her "lick time". She really does do it constantly and she even licks the floor so I realize it is something she hasnt learned to control. Also, she really wants to lick your face the most, so she expends a lot of effort trying to reach it. Zero agression, just too much passion! Any suggestions or similar experience?[/B]