PDA

View Full Version : mom

sirrahbed
07-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Some comments on Kelly's hospital stay and her mom helping her made me start thinking about my mom and what I remember about her that was comforting to me. She died in 2002. What I remember is...

Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup!!

I was sick pretty often with kidney ailments when I was small - and this was my favorite soup. She heated it up and brought it to get me to eat:) I can't see it in the grocery store without thinking of her - and sometimes eat some now if I am feeling a little down.

Samantha Puppy
07-29-2005, 02:10 PM
If I had an upset stomach, my mom would always crush some ice and give me some Coke syrup OR ginger ale. I'd also get Lipton noodle soup (the powdered kind you have to add water to - I didn't like the regular, in-a-can soup) and for dessert, sherbert.

If I just generally felt bad, she'd baby me and whenever she wasn't up doing something for me, she'd sit on the couch and let me lay up against her. I did that until I got married and moved out (last year at age 26).

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-29-2005, 02:26 PM
My mom new angel food cake was my favorite so every year for my birthday she'd make me one with all the confetti in it. My birthday is the only time I remember getting the confetti version of this cake as a kid, so it was pretty special - and I still love it and feel special when I have it.

Aren't moms the best? :D

DJFyrewolf36
07-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Mom still comforts me when I am sad or feeling ill. When I was little, she would always rub my back whenever I was sick and it always made me feel better.

She still makes dinner for me every weekend (even though Im in my own place and all) and bowls with me in the winter. We have a very friend-like relationship and it comforts me a lot to know that.

catnapper
07-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Ah, my mom didn't fuss over me with food. She ran out to buy me a new coloring book and a fresh box of Crayola crayons (oh that smells to this day instantly makes me feel better)

When I was in college and had gallbladder surgery, she came to the hopsital with a new coloring book and crayons. She said she was in the store - there was a power outtage. When the lights came back on, she needed help picking out a book real fast for me so she asked a woman for help. The lady asked "oh, how old is your daughter?" Mom replied "going to be 20 next week" :D :D

furrykidsmother
07-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Mom's are the greatest! My Mom still worries about me and I'm 43. When I was a kid and even when I got older I remember when I wasn't feeling good she would make me Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. That is still a comfort food for me. She has always put my needs and those of others before her own. She is a wonderful woman and I am very lucky to have her. When I had to have surgery a few years ago (outpatient, but it was all day) she stayed the whole day at the hospital and took the next day off from work to "babysit" me in case I needed anything. I am going through the possible prospect of a repeat of the surgery (I hope not), but I know she will be there for me if I need her.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Moms are the best! My mom always shared whatever goodie she was eating with me! During exams, she made me lots of cups with hot chocolate!

jenluckenbach
07-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Once, when I was a young adult, and my mom and I were sitting in McDonalds eating cheesburgers. She asked me if I wanted her pickle (knowing I loved them and she did not). I, of course, said yes.

So, she reached into the sandich to pull out the pickle. It came out dripping with the condiments. She instinctively licked off the ketchup/mustard (I assume to prevent it from dripping across the table) and proceeded to hand me the pickle.

I kinda said....."Ummmmm.. no thanks." :p

It was then that she realized what she did and we laughed for hours. :D:D

popcornbird
07-29-2005, 04:57 PM
There's no one on this planet more special than one's mom. They carry us in their womb for 9 months, give birth with such pain, nurse us when we're helpless babies, have sleepless nights because of us, raise us with love and care, teach us what's right and what's wrong, sacrifice their food, just because their child wants some, give us more love than they get themselves, worry about us endlessly, love us unconditionally, put up with us no matter how great a problem or headache we might be......... :p The list could go on and on.

Enough said. I love my mommy. :D

moosmom
07-29-2005, 05:04 PM
I miss my Mom something awful. She's been gone for 32 years. We were like best friends. I could talk to her about anything. When I was sick, she'd make me toast and flat Coca-Cola for my stomach.

She also used to wake me up in the morning singing to me. When it was my birthday, she'd wake me up singing Happy Birthday.

I want my mommy!!! :(

jenluckenbach
07-29-2005, 05:18 PM
My mom's been gone since 1996. :(

I don't recall what she did for tummy aches, but I always got bar-b-q'd spare ribs for my birthday. I sure do miss those. And her baked beans, and her potato salad......all recipees from her head, never to be duplicated again.

kuhio98
07-29-2005, 05:26 PM
I am blessed to still have my Mom. And now that she's moved back to Alaska, I get to see her as often as I can.
Things that crack me up about my Mom? Well, MomCat likes to make up words. Especially when she's mad. She will combine parts of swear/cuss words and yell. Everyone ends up laughing (including her) because she just can't be taken seriously.
When Mom is ticked (I swear, it's not that often), she can't remember the names of her kids. So, she starts with my name (since I'm the oldest) then switches to the start of my sister's name and then the start of my brother's name and then back to my name because I'm the one she's mad at. I've been known as Li-Car-Don-Lisa! for most of my life. (My sister's name is Carmen and my brother's name is Don).
Mom likes to name THINGS. (She remembers their names). Like the trash compactor is named Beverly. Why, Beverly you ask? Well because there was a character on Star Trek the Next Generation named Beverly CRUSHER. :p
And Mom likes to make up words to songs. Remember that song that goes "There's a bad moon on the rise"? Well, Mom sings "There's a bathroom on the right." :p And, Mom likes to annoy people by being soooooooo cheerful when she wakes you up in the morning. Some of my favorites: "Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey" (i.e. Get up and eat your eggs and bacon) and her annoying song: "It's time to get up, everybody everybody. Everybody rise and shine." :rolleyes:

I'm so lucky to have such a wonderful Mom. I need to tell her that more often! :D

chrangharris
07-30-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm blessed by two mom- my biological mom and my mother in law!! Both are such wonderful ladies! They teach me so much about so many different things and bless my life so richly!! I pray that they are around to see their great grandchildren!

cyber-sibes
07-30-2005, 09:42 PM
What a neat thread! I'm home recovering from surgery and have been thinking about my mom alot. She died in 1993. But the only other time I ever had surgery was when I was a teenager and had my tonsils out. She made me her homemade cheescake to eat for a week! I loved it! I sure miss her and wish she was around to baby me now, I can just see her in heaven worrying about me, LOL!
I was with her when she passed, and I tell you, it was a real blessing to be there. It was on the day before I turned 40, and I kept thinking about how here I was with her helping her to heaven, and 40 years earlier, she was helping me to earth!
I love you, Mom!

jazzcat
07-30-2005, 10:31 PM
I was just thinking about my mom today. It was exactly 12 years ago today that we moved into this house and my mom and dad came up and helped us move in along with Richard's parents. My parents weren't able to do the heavy moving but mom came in and got the guys to get the bed set up and immediately put on sheets and the comforter so we would have the bed ready to sleep in. She also kept Disney and Ripley for us at her house for two months while we lived in a no pets allowed apartment and house hunted. During that time she got Disney completely house broken for me. That's just a little of the many wonderful things my mom did for me. I miss her so much!!!!!