PDA

View Full Version : Need name ideas

catnapper
07-29-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm entering this in an art show tomorrow. I am at a loss for a name. Nothing as typical as "Minette". I want it to be a descriptive name - maybe one of emotion? Of a state of mind?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/Minette-finished.jpg

One of the kids' friends gave me "Envy" based on her eyes. I like the idea because its discriptive, but does carry some negative connotations.

Any ideas?

Also, I'm still struggling with a price. Too high and it won't sell, too low and I'll be giving away many (MANY!) hours of work. It will be framed, so consider the cost of framing in with the artwork.

kittycats_delight
07-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Mesmerize. Because that is what those eyes are mesmerizing. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by kittycats_delight
Mesmerize. Because that is what those eyes are mesmerizing. :)

I like it! Maybe with a little play on words like mesmer-eyes...

As for price, I couldn't even begin to suggest a range.....sorry.

Sure is an awesome picture though, you really are good! :D

sirrahbed
07-29-2005, 11:20 AM
My fisrt thought was *Hypnotic* but I like Michelle's *Mesmerize* even better! Also - Debbie's play on words *Mesmer-eyes*..*Mezmurreyes* too silly?

kuhio98
07-29-2005, 11:24 AM
How about "Fascination"? As for price, I have nooooo idea. Sorry.

sirrahbed
07-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by kuhio98
How about "Fascination"?

OOO I like that too!:)
Price? $175-$200ish? $199?

finn's mom
07-29-2005, 11:26 AM
It's gorgeous, I wouldn't have a clue as to what a good price would be....but, here are some adjectives I thought of and looked up....

spellbound
fascinate(d)
captivate(d)
beguile(d)
enchant(ed)
allure(d)
intrigue(d)

good luck!

Craftlady
07-29-2005, 11:35 AM
I like the name.
As for price, if overall finished product (artwork, frame) is
8x10 price $150 -$175
11x17 price $275-$300

catnapper
07-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Ooo.... I like a few of them. Spellbound being my first choice. Will ask hubby and the kids what they think.

Debbie, you think I dare ask that much? I'd LOVE to! Am afraid to!

I checked out the gallery earlier this week to scope pricing. They had a mix of things. One colored pencil artist that was just plain BAD, and he asked that much for something 4 times as big. Then again, it was BAD - badly rendered, bad perspective, bad composition. Bad. Then there were photographers who asked $275 for a photo of something that wasn't near as nice as half the pictures I see here on PT. Then there were pieces BEAUTIFULLY done selling for $100. I'm at a loss. I honestly hoped seeing what the prices were already like would help me. It only confused me more :(

Vermontcat
07-29-2005, 11:38 AM
I like the suggestions so far but in case you are looking for something different, how about something about the eye color.
Something like Emerald Eyes or even Dayglo Eyes(that's from a U2 song).
For price I wouldn't go lower than $150. How big is it again?
I think it's just beautiful! :D

catnapper
07-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Craftlady
I like the name.
As for price, if overall finished product (artwork, frame) is
8x10 price $150 -$175
11x17 price $275-$300
Oops... forgot to mention the size. Image size is fairly small: 7"x9" and fits nicely into an 11"x14" frame. Is double matted and is in a traditional silver burnished silver frame.

sirrahbed
07-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Kim - I don't think the close to $200 price is that high. Too low and you might feel that your work was wasted...do you think?:confused:

finn's mom
07-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
Ooo.... I like a few of them. Spellbound being my first choice.

Or maybe even spellbinding......just a different take on the same word.....

Donnaj4962
07-29-2005, 12:17 PM
WOW! That picture is BEAUTIFUL! You are very talented! :cool: I like the name "Mesmer Eyes", and I would pay $150.00 for it framed and matted! Of course, I am a cat lover, so I could even go higher! Good luck!

sasvermont
07-29-2005, 12:39 PM
I would call it "eyes"....and ask between $175-$225.

catmandu
07-29-2005, 01:23 PM
MESMER EYES,AND I WOULD GO 200 DOLLARS,CANADIAN,FOR AN ORIGINAL PIECE,OF ART.
I PRAY,THAT YOU DO WELL,AND GET ENOUGH,TO GET YOUR CATS,A NICE TREAT.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/CaseyDigby.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1084.jpg

furrykidsmother
07-29-2005, 01:42 PM
I also like the name Mesmer Eyes and I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get $200.00. I think it is well worth it.

Barbara
07-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Intensity?
Emerald?

I have no idea about the price.

jenluckenbach
07-29-2005, 01:49 PM
MYSTIQUE

$195

kimlovescats
07-29-2005, 02:59 PM
I thought either "Entranced" or "Entrancement" ... but I do like the Mesmer-eyed idea too ... good one T&P! I have no idea about price .... I've never bought any original art, and I like a bargain ... but DO NOT sell yourself short, you are way too talented for that! GOOD LUCK tomorrow, it is GORGEOUS!!!!:D

Mad Mags Moo
07-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Kindred Spirit

Also like Mesmerized too...excuse the spelling!
Not sure about price, sorry Kim:)

rg_girlca
07-29-2005, 11:12 PM
I have no clue about the price and I like all the names that have been suggested.

I wish all the best of luck tomorrow Kim and I cannot wait to hear all about it.

I cannot express enough how beautiful that picture is and how talented you are. :D

jazzcat
07-29-2005, 11:19 PM
Wow Kim! I can't get over how intense her eyes are. Stunning!!!! Definitely use a play on eyes for the name.

As for a price I'm no good at that. I've never bought a piece at a gallery in my life.

Good luck, I love it!

Karen
07-29-2005, 11:24 PM
For price, figure out how many hours you spent doing the work, then multiply by what you would LIKE to be paid. Add cost of framing and viola - you have your price!

sandragonfly
07-30-2005, 12:41 AM
beautifully done kim!

usually my friends (artists) cost themselves $35-$40 per hour... then like karen said, add the frame/mat cost and *there* you are! :)

let us know your final decision, mystique cat, good luck!!

Sonia59
07-30-2005, 04:05 AM
I like fascination and emerald beauty, or emerald mystery.
This is stunning, I love it! Congratulations!:cool:

catnapper
07-30-2005, 07:22 AM
Yikes! I have between 25-30 hours into this drawing! Wouldn't that be great to ask $300? I'll never get it, but its great to dream! :D

People have no idea how slow it is to work in colored pencils to get the right look. Its not like coloring in crayons where you press hard to get good coverage. Feather, wispy light touches and layers upon layers come together to create a picture. Ok, enough art lessons for today! :D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I still am not sure which name I'll go with. Will decide when I'm handing it in! :D

QueenScoopalot
07-30-2005, 10:04 AM
captivate
(transitive verb) 1 archaic : SEIZE , CAPTURE ; 2 : to influence and dominate by some special charm, art, or trait and with an irresistible appeal..there's a new one Kim.
I like mesmerize too. :)

catnapper
07-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Dropped it off.... named it Jen's suggestion of "Mystique" Grant and the kids liked that one best. Will save the suggestions for the next one. I am thinking of doing a series of cats faces up close like that. So all the names will apply! :D

Funny thing was that the person who took the artwork from me was...... my vet's assistant!! :D :D :D

I spent twenty minutes getting her opinions on Pouncer and Angel! LOL

Hmmm... now I wonder what type of artwork she does. I'll have to go t the opening and look for her work. Think it has anything to do with animals?

orangemm
07-30-2005, 02:33 PM
You did that??? Oh, my, I am JEALOUS (how about THAT for a name?). What wonderful talent!

What beautiful work. I am in awe.

jenluckenbach
07-30-2005, 02:47 PM
named it Jen's suggestion of "Mystique"

:D I feel like I have won a prize or something! *doing a little happy dance*

So now, when do we know if it sold or not?

catnapper
07-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
:D I feel like I have won a prize or something! *doing a little happy dance*

So now, when do we know if it sold or not?
Boy, you're easy to please. That'll be your birthday present! :D

When do WE hear if its sold? :D The show opening is Aug 4th and runs through to the 26th. I suppose I'd be told as soon as it is sold? Or when I go to pick up the other artwork? I honestly don't know! I'm not expecting to sell anything - prices are high, but I purposefully set them high. Might as well shoot for the stars and if I get it... woohoo! Besides, I have the rescue to sell the artwork through too. I'd rather give the cats a percentage than a gallery! :D