PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that sees something wrong with this picture?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-29-2005, 10:05 AM
There is a BIG billboard on my way to work, right on I-55 (that's the 5 - 5 to you Sara ;) ). It's very plain with BIG bold letterering that says somthing like:

REPENT!!!
SAVE YOURSELF FROM HELL
this next part I dont' remember exactly, but it's something to the effect of
TRUST IN JESUS

I've seen it a few times and never thought a thing about it. Today I first noticed in small print at the bottom, something similar to this:
Paid for by the by the Jack Reynolds for US Congress Committee, Jack Reynolds Treasurer.
http://www.reynoldsforcongress.net

I checked out the website and cannot believe that this Mr. Reynolds is using this as a platform to campaign on.

Am I the only one that sees something wrong with electing someone like this to the United States Congress? :confused:

Pawsitive Thinking
07-29-2005, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't trust that man to peg out my washing let alone make decisions!!!

Randi
07-29-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Am I the only one that sees something wrong with electing someone like this to the United States Congress? :confused:
No Debbie, you're not the only one! ;)

Lobodeb
07-29-2005, 10:40 AM
There is a BIG billboard on my way to work, right on I-55 (that's the 5 - 5 to you Sara ;) ). It's very plain with BIG bold letterering that says somthing like:

Where in I-55 did you see it? I usually come in on the Stevenson and haven't seen it. Is it going eastbound toward downtown?

catland
07-29-2005, 10:47 AM
We have plenty of kooks like that, they just usually try to run for state, not national office.

Used to be one of my favorite passtimes to read the primary election voter's pamphlet just to read platforms just like this.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Lobodeb
Where in I-55 did you see it? I usually come in on the Stevenson and haven't seen it. Is it going eastbound toward downtown?

Yes, it's Northbound (Eastbound?) going towards the city. Past Harlem but before Cicero. I normally get off on Harlem but traffic was good today so I got off at Cicero. I think it's actually right before Central, but not quite sure.

Where do you live? I come in on the 5-5* ;) everyday also.

(*California lingo for I-55.) ;) :D )

momoffuzzyfaces
07-29-2005, 11:26 AM

REPENT!!!
SAVE YOURSELF FROM HELL
this next part I dont' remember exactly, but it's something to the effect of
TRUST IN JESUS

I've seen it a few times and never thought a thing about it. Today I first noticed in small print at the bottom, something similar to this:
Paid for by the by the Jack Reynolds for US Congress Committee, Jack Reynolds Treasurer.
http://www.reynoldsforcongress.net

I checked out the website and cannot believe that this Mr. Reynolds is using this as a platform to campaign on.

Yeah, especially when George Bush is always picked on for his religion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Lobodeb
07-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Yes, it's Northbound (Eastbound?) going towards the city.
Where do you live? I come in on the 5-5* ;) everyday also.

(*California lingo for I-55.) ;) :D )

Sorry, I'm directionally challenged. Northbound would be correct.

I live by Midway. Do you work downtown? Not if you get off at either Harlem or Cicero, right?

sirrahbed
07-29-2005, 11:45 AM
I agree with you Debbie - bad judgement I think :rolleyes:
OOH!!! I made a punny!

Suki Wingy
07-29-2005, 12:18 PM
that would be tapping into people's belifs and security to get yourself elected.:eek: :mad: unfair.
edit:spelling

Karen
07-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Maybe if he was running for a church position, or just a billboard to promote his branch of Christianity, but mixing politics and religion is fraught with hazard for all.

How is that supposed to convince people to vote for him? What are his positions on various issues important to his constituants? What would he do to represent them? From that, it seems like he'd spend his time preaching the Good News to one and all, not representing his constituants.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
I agree with you Debbie - bad judgement I think :rolleyes:
OOH!!! I made a punny!

Ooooo, funny. ;) :D

Karen, at the bottom of his website are a few of the "issues" that evidently he feels are important. Click on them and you can see where he stands, except....doesn't take a whole lot of brains to figure out where he stands before you even click on the links. :rolleyes: And issues that really relate to his constituants? Does he even know what a constinuant is? I think not. I think he's all for promoting his own personal agenda however he can.

Lobodeb, I do work downtown, sortof - North Ave & Western, so not in the loop, but still downtown. I get off when traffic starts backing up, which is usually at Harlem. Nothing I hate worse than sitting in a traffic jam when the speed limit is 55. :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
07-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Someone can run on whatever platform they want. Many times people run for office knowing they'll never get elected, but they do it for the publicity. (Lyndon LaRouche, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson anyone?)

Hell, people run on platforms that are complete and total falsehood all the time and win in landslides.

ILoveReptiles
07-29-2005, 09:11 PM
... So much for separation of church and state...

Oh wait. That evaporated a while ago... thanks to Supreme Dictator Shrubley.

RICHARD
07-30-2005, 05:14 AM
I think you all missed his point..

In order to RE-PENT,

You have to PENT FIRST.....

Having never PENTED I don't feel any pressure at all.
:confused: