PDA

View Full Version : Kong toys

JenBKR
07-29-2005, 09:15 AM
I just bought Roscoe a black XL rubber kong, but he's not interested in it. Are there any tricks to get him interested?

finn's mom
07-29-2005, 09:22 AM
some of them you can fill with treats or freeze something inside of it (I sometimes freeze veggie puree in finn's). Peanut butter in the toy works, too......Does it have a hole for food or treats?

Lexi_Lover
07-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Peanut butter works for Lexi, or there is a special Kong stuffing that looks like a whipped cream bottle, but has flavours like chicken, liver, beef & cheese, etc. :)

chocolatepuppy
07-29-2005, 09:25 AM
I put peanut butter or dog treats in it for Mandy. Lacey just chews it up. :rolleyes:

JenBKR
07-29-2005, 09:35 AM
I put the kong treats in it, with one sticking out. He ate that one but didn't bother with the rest. I tried to show him that there were others in there, but he just looked at it. I have heard such wonderful things about them, but maybe I bought the wrong size/color or something? He loves to chew (usually rawhide and rope toys) so that's why I bought the black.

finn's mom
07-29-2005, 09:38 AM
I would try stuffing it with something he's maybe never eaten before, or something that he rarely gets.....something completely irresistable. And, it could be that he'll never chew on a hard rubber type toy. It's just like with kids, even if it's the best toy in the world, not all kids are going to like it. And, with Finn, I buy stuff he can fit in his mouth, but, not that he could swallow.

JenBKR
07-29-2005, 09:58 AM
hmm, what could be irresistable...maybe I'll try the spray stuff. He likes beefy stuff, that might work. Thanks for the ideas!

finn's mom
07-29-2005, 10:02 AM
I hope he likes it, cuz I know those toys aren't cheap. Take it to a shelter or something if he doesn't play with it, though, so, at least it won't go to waste. :) Unless the store will take it back and you can get something else....I've never tried that with a dog toy before, but, it couldn't hurt to at least ask.

tricollie4me
07-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Bijou loves her Kongs! We have several and she'll chew on them just for the sake of chewing -- if we add peanut butter (with a couple of doggie biscuits tossed in for fun), she's in doggie heaven!

One thing you might try, if you decide that the Kong you chose isn't tempting your pup, is a Nylabone. Bijou also loves her Nylabones and will search through her toy bin until she's found the one she wants (she has two). They are shaped like bones and she loves them like no tomorrow ;)

lv4dogs
07-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Here's a link with a bunch of recipes http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78341&highlight=recipes

JenBKR
07-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Ooh, great recipes. Thanks!

I'll look into a nylabone, I have never heard of those before. Can you get them at Petsmart?

finn's mom
07-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by JenBKR
Ooh, great recipes. Thanks!

I'll look into a nylabone, I have never heard of those before. Can you get them at Petsmart?

Yeah, I've seen them at grocery stores, too. I used to get them for my dog, Bruno. But, Finn kills it in less than five minutes. But, he's a crocodile. :D Kongs and things like Kongs are the only things he doesn't destroy.

jenfer
07-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Gigi loves her kong. I put PB (line the inside) and then I "sprinkled" treats bits inside. She barks at me for me to give it to her when I am leaving home.

lv4dogs
07-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Yup:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/search/search_results.jsp

There are also similar toys like nylabones, like velvet, gumabone & booda etc...
They resemble a hard but chewy long lasting plastic, but are made of edible materials.

JenBKR
07-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by finn's mom
Yeah, I've seen them at grocery stores, too. I used to get them for my dog, Bruno. But, Finn kills it in less than five minutes. But, he's a crocodile. :D Kongs and things like Kongs are the only things he doesn't destroy.

That's Roscoe! He likes to destroy toys...he doesn't get stuffed toys anymore because he just rips them to pieces within minutes. He's going to doggy school in another month, so hopefully that will help! :p

finn's mom
07-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by JenBKR
That's Roscoe! He likes to destroy toys...he doesn't get stuffed toys anymore because he just rips them to pieces within minutes. He's going to doggy school in another month, so hopefully that will help! :p

Yeah, I just get Finn a stuffy from Goodwill for a quarter every once in awhile. He's a madman with those things. He only has indestructable rubber toys to chew and play with.

Ginger's Mom
07-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Ginger doesn't like her kong, either. I tried filling it with peanut butter, and that worked twice, then she wasn't interested any more. I mention this because you were talking about the Nylabones and Booda bones. Ginger used to like rope toys (not so much any more) and chew chews, but I think she liked the texture of those things. I know that all dogs are different, but I just thought that if Roscoe and Ginger's chewing preferences are the same, I would let you know that she was not interested in the Nylabones at all, but did like the Booda Bones (I think they have more flavors, and she liked the ones with the little nibs on them). Good luck. :) How old is Roscoe?

Lexi_Lover
07-29-2005, 11:00 AM
See, the last "indestructible" toy we got Lexi, she loved! But, I gave her 5 days, she cleared me, by finishing off the toy in 2!!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

finn's mom
07-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
See, the last "indestructible" toy we got Lexi, she loved! But, I gave her 5 days, she cleared me, by finishing off the toy in 2!!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Finn's huge and hasn't destroyed his kongs! What indestructable toy did your little girl destroy? I don't ever believe that label of indestructable. Kongs are about the only thing he can't kill. I did get him a fire hydrant at walmart once that seems to be the same material, and, he's yet to kill it.

JenBKR
07-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Ginger's Mom
Ginger doesn't like her kong, either. I tried filling it with peanut butter, and that worked twice, then she wasn't interested any more. I mention this because you were talking about the Nylabones and Booda bones. Ginger used to like rope toys (not so much any more) and chew chews, but I think she liked the texture of those things. I know that all dogs are different, but I just thought that if Roscoe and Ginger's chewing preferences are the same, I would let you know that she was not interested in the Nylabones at all, but did like the Booda Bones (I think they have more flavors, and she liked the ones with the little nibs on them). Good luck. :) How old is Roscoe?

Thank you! Sounds like Roscoe and Ginger may have the same preferences...he loves to chew on rope toys. He has shred a few :D so I think it's the texture of them that he likes. He is 3 1/2, and we've had him for about 2 months.

Suki Wingy
07-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Some dogs just don't like them (like NiƱo) no matter what I put in there he doesn't want it.

ginagt
07-29-2005, 05:15 PM
I think mentioned this in another post but I will post it here as well. Make it very easy for Roscoe to get the treats out at first. Smear some peanut butter on the outside near the hole and then put some on the inside as well. Use treats that are small enough to just fall out for the first few days. Make it harder gradually. If he loves food, he will learn to love the Kong.
Good luck,
Gina

manda99
07-31-2005, 05:15 AM
Smokey loves his Kongs w/ or w/out treats in them
But man, when there in peanut butter in there he'll sit there and make out with it for a looong time.