PDA

View Full Version : Conversations with my pets.

momoffuzzyfaces
02-25-2002, 04:01 PM
I know we all talk to our pets but do you ever act like you are holding a conversation with them? It all started years ago when I had a neighbor who was interested in me. I couldn't go out the door without tripping over him. He apparently did not understand the word: NO! I had a dog at that time who had a pen in the back yard. I always knew when my neighbor was around because my dog hated him and would bark his head off when the neighbor was around. Sometimes I would look out and see the neighbor out by my dog's pen. I finally got an idea. :)

I knew my neighbor watched my backyard from his window so I would go out and talk to Smokey (my dog).

He would bark and I would act like I knew what he was saying. It would go something like this:

BARK!

(me) "He did what?"

Bark!

"I don't know. I don't think you should do that."

BARK! BARK!

"Well, if he does that again, you have permission to pee on his leg." (I would keep looking over my shoulder toward the neighbors window."

After I started these conversations, I never saw my neighbor again. Smokey has been gone a long time but I still hold conversations with animals sometimes. I have a stray cat, Grandma, who takes a walk with me everyday. We have some great conversations. For some reasons, none of the new neighbors have ever stopped by. :D :D :D

Has anyone else ever done anything like this?

Cincy'sMom
02-25-2002, 04:05 PM
Sadie and I have have conversations all the time. She is more of a whiner then a barker so our conversation goes.

hmmmm

No! I don't believe you!!! Then what happened?

Hmmmm

Really? Tell me again.... and so on.

Cincy so far is not a whiner and when she barks it is usally at something out side. perhaps when she is older we will have conversations.

Former User
02-25-2002, 04:06 PM
Oh yes, everyday I have talks with Casper while doing dishes. He becomes very talkative for some odd reason while I'm doing dishes, and it goes like this...

-Meow
- hey boy, whatcha want?
-Meow
- oh really?
-Meow
-are you sure?
-MEOW!
-I still don't know whatcha want
-MEOW
-oh, you want food maybe?
- MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWW
(and he's off to hug the fridge:rolleyes: ).

Crikit
02-25-2002, 10:58 PM
oh yeah I have conversations with Smudge and Winter all the time, sometimes they don't even bark...it's kind of like this...

*stare*
What do I want for supper?
*stare*
Oh that's a good idea

etc....

in fact Winters trying to tell me something right now...it's the I want to go to bed look

kobieeli
02-26-2002, 12:00 AM
I don't do the whole "conversation" thing much, although I do talk to the dogs all the time. But this thread made me think of a friend of mine whose dad was a philosophy professor at a university. This guy would have high-level ethical dialogues with the dog:

"Cookie, how could you do such a thing?"
Blank stare from Cookie.
"Don't you know that was wrong?"
Blank stare from Cookie.
"Do you remember the punishment last time?"
Cookie cocks her head.
"Well, you can't just do what you feel like all the time. Actions have consequences. Do you understand me?"
Cookie whines.
"No, you are not a bad animal. You merely do bad things. There is a difference."

I am not kidding about this! It was a hoot to hear...:D

Former User
02-26-2002, 02:23 AM
Another conversation we have with Casper is in the mornings...

-Meow
-Morning to you too Casper
-Meow
-really?was the dream that bad?
-Meow
-oh, sorry to hear that boy
-Meow
-she( Kitty) didn't let you sleep?
-Meow
-awww, what a naughty girl
-Meow!
-ok, but I have to do my hair now
-Meow
-no, it's not fine like this
-Meow
-I've brushed it now, any better?
-Meow!!!
-thank you, would you like to have some food now?
-MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
(and he's off to hug the fridge again :rolleyes: )

Gio
02-26-2002, 04:55 AM
LOL :D

I'm glad I'm in good company! Prema is a real "talker" and I find myself having conversations with her all the time :D

Former User
02-26-2002, 08:36 AM
Another conversation while I'm cooking...

-meeeeooooowwwww
-nope, you can't help me, sorry
-meow
-I can do the potatoes on my own thanx
-meow
-I can do rest on my own too
-meowwwww
-can't you go and play with Kitty, I'm afraid I'll step on your paws
-meow!
-ok, stay here then
-meeeeeoooow
-no, no and NO, can't give you anything
-MEOW!!!!

And the he just stares at me, making me feel guilty :rolleyes:

Randi
02-26-2002, 10:33 AM
LOL LOL LOL :D

Fister is not very talkative, but we do have a few conversations - something like:

- miaw!
- are you really that bored?
- miaww!
- so you want me to come and play with the string again?
- miaww!

he then hides behind a door and catches it when it slides past him - he can go on and on and making me run around .....

... and when he's been in his litterbox:

- miaww!
- do you really want me to empty that every single time?
- miawww!
- OK, then point taken!

and when he's sitting on the bed, waiting for us
- miaw!
- it's much too early to go to bed, Fister
- miaww!
- you'll have to wait a little longer, while we finish what we're doing!
- miawww!!
- we'll come and cuddle in a minut
- miawww!!

Lucky he doesn't talk so much during the night - I suppose he's given up, since there's no response! :D

Former User
02-26-2002, 10:43 AM
Ok, I'm going to contribute once more...

Around 17:30 Casper gets restless, he starts meowing, because it's daddy's time to come home.

-Meow!
-yes, I know what time it is
-meow meow
-patience, he'll be here in a moment
-meow meow meow
-yes yes, just few more minutes
-mmeeeeeeooooowwwww
-ok, he's on the stairs, wait a moment
-MMMMEEEEEOOOOOWWWWWWW (daddy's home)
and Casper takes off, doesn't even say "meow" to daddy :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

daurdiem
02-26-2002, 10:43 AM
:p It is so reassuring to know I am not the only person who talks to their animals and waits for a response. My cat , Texas sleeps on my bed (all day) and when I walk in while he is snoozing he will often lift his head up and throw it back and say "meeeooow" and I swear it sounds just like he is saying "HI!!" I say Hi and again he says Hi back. I love it!

momoffuzzyfaces
02-26-2002, 11:06 AM
What wonderful stories. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! :D

sammi
02-26-2002, 12:50 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk daurdiem! You will enjoy it here.
I sure talk to my dog! I like to tell him the story of when he was just a young pup and how he came into our lives! I never tell him that its him we are talking about I start out with "Once upon a time" LOL;)

momoffuzzyfaces
02-26-2002, 12:59 PM
Sammi, you gave me an idea. Maybe we should have a link about bedtime stories for pets. What about it? :)

daurdiem
02-26-2002, 01:31 PM
Thank you Sammi!
I have been REALLY enjoying reading all the stories and kind things people say for weeks now. Been a little shy about posting my own thoughts.....could be getting braver!:D

Former User
02-26-2002, 01:59 PM
At the beginning I felt a bit shy too, but not anymore, I keep posting all the time! Be brave and keep on posting, we LOVE to read about furkids!! :)

felinequine
02-26-2002, 02:41 PM
I don't really have conversations, but sometimes when my animals will look at me, I can tell what they are saying,like, when I do something I think might frighten Rozye, she has this wide-eyed look, but I know it means,"It's okay, you didn't scare me.".

And sometimes when my dog barks alot when we are eating dinner, Dad will say,"What's that Lassie?Timmy's in the well?we need to hurry?Oh no!", it's a riot cause she's not barking at anything, maybe a sound she heard outside that has no importance, so we just make a joke out of it.

And I of course say things to my cats, but they don't really talk back, maybe when Sawyer wants out I'll talk to him, and he meows back, every time I say something, until I let him out...

jennifert
02-26-2002, 04:03 PM
I always talk with Duncan!! He loves to talk back. He doesn't always bark but he sputters, whines, howls....And he looks right at you when he does it. When I come home from work, I go into my room to change and he comes in and jumps on the bed. I ask him how his day was and what he did and what he wants to do later....The sad part is I always end up laughing like he said the funniest thing!!
I talk to him so much all the time!!! Everyone thinks I'm crazy. I don't care. If they only knew how much MORE I talk to him when noone else is there!! Sometimes, he's the only one I WANT to talk to!!!;)

C.C.'s Mom
02-27-2002, 04:10 AM
I talk to my pets all day long. I ask them everything, what food they want, if they want to go out. The neighbors must think I've got sever brain damage. Just good that they can't understand me as I speak in Dutch :D

With Cookie I've got all kinds of conversations. I ask her every morning if she slept well and if it's time to get up or sleep for another 30 minutes.
I talk to her when we go for walks, when we cuddle on the sofa, when I'm working. She interacts on her own way, with smiles, not understanding looks, funny sounds.

With Rudie the conversations are realy fun. He replies in a tone that he made for me, a sweet purring sound that's so cute that my heart is always full of love for him. He always answers.

Eddy is very thoughtful and needs time for replying. But she likes my talks and purrs.

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-27-2002, 08:29 PM
I talk to my Tinky too. Every time I am in the kitchen she starts. I guess she thinks she is going to get some tuna. Our's goes kinda like this
--MEOW
..Hey pretty girl watcha doin?
--MEOW
..Yes you are a pretty girl!!
--MEEEOOOOWWWW
..What's mama's little angel want?
--MEOW
..My pretty little girl is soooo sweet!
--MEOW
etc. etc. etc.
I guess she will continue to meow as long as I'm bragging about how pretty she is. But she is my little angel and she deserves every min of attention.

Crikit
02-28-2002, 08:51 PM
Okay I just had to this one because it happens on daily basis

-Winter- Stare
"Not right now the alarm hasn't gone off yet"
-Winter-Sits on head
"Go bother Smudge"
-Smudge snores
*mom* "Whose the idiot that turned the light off!!!" (You think that by now she would realize that her and my dad are the only ones up and that if she didn't do it he must have...maybe it's retorical)
*Winter and Smudge* Whine, whine whine oh and can't forget whimper
"Fine, I'm getting up...are you happy?"
At this point both dogs fight to get out the door then go charging down the hall...actually Winter charges and Smudge prances...to recieve pets from the grandfolks and a chance to go outside.