PDA

View Full Version : Boomer's Ad

Sirrahsim
07-29-2005, 01:22 AM
Here's what we're putting in the paper. It should run mid-August and hopefully someone will bite. :( :( :(

Sweet Tabby Cat- Looking for new home. Very gentle, good-natured. Neutered. Humanely declawed. 3 year old brown male. Call Melissa for details. Phone#

kimlovescats
07-29-2005, 02:29 AM
I don't know if you can still edit your ad ... but you might want to put something like "family being deployed" so that they don't think he has some sort of *issue* and maybe they would also be a bit more motivated to help? Just a thought! Good luck, Missy.

Sirrahsim
07-29-2005, 03:14 AM
I only get 20 words so I'm already pushing it :( I figure I can explain that when someone calls.

kimlovescats
07-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Yeah .... I didn't mean to worry you, just a thought! I'm sure God will handle it all!

(((hugs)))
Kim

catmandu
07-29-2005, 08:52 AM
THEFOUND CAT HOTEL,IS READY,FOR BOOMER,IF WE CAN SOMEHOW GET HIM HERE,THAT,IS THE HARD PART.
BUT AS YOU SAY,GOD WILL FIND A WAY,IF THIS,IS MEANT,TO BE.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos519.jpg

sirrahbed
07-29-2005, 09:43 AM
I agree with Kim's suggestion Missy..
How about-
Hubby deploying and seeking permanent (or furrever) home for gentle, calm, much loved tabby cat. Humanely declawed. Call Melissa...
:confused:

I really think that the *reason* might attract someone willing to help love him....the wording might help to attract the sort of people you are looking for.

Gary and Donna - you are both sweethearts for offering Boomer a home:) *IF* it were workable to send him to the states - he will live here with our five until Missy and Paul return to the states for good.

moosmom
07-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Debbie,

I'm sure that's a load off Missy's mind. That's great to hear.

rg_girlca
07-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Missy, I'm wishing you all the best of luck in finding Boomer a new loving home.

aly
07-31-2005, 02:59 AM
Not to stray from the topic, but what is "humanely declawed"? I honestly don't know what you mean by that...

I don't want to start a declaw discussion, but I am curious as to what you mean.

lizbud
07-31-2005, 10:44 AM
I wondered myself, but didn't want to ask.:confused: Maybe
it's code for just front declawed.:confused:

finn's mom
07-31-2005, 01:21 PM
Oh, this sucks, I didn't know you were having to get rid of your cat. :(

Freckles
07-31-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by finn's mom
I didn't know you were having to get rid of your cat. Read this (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84212) before commenting, please.

finn's mom
07-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Freckles
Read this (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84212) before commenting, please.

I did a search and found it after I saw this thread and replied. I didn't and won't say anything rude, even if I hadn't read the other thread.

boscibo
07-31-2005, 02:45 PM
Is an ad in the paper really the way to do it? Just about anyone could come and take your cat!

lizbud
07-31-2005, 05:01 PM
I say let the originator of the thread answer the question about
"humane declawing". If your going to plublish the ad as is, the
question is bound to be asked by somebody don't you think?

krazyaboutkatz
07-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Yes, Please don't let this thread turn into an ugly fighting thread.:eek:

Sirrahsim
07-31-2005, 05:22 PM
I will explain humane declawing. Instead of ripping off the tips of each "finger" the tendons are just snipped so that they can't be extended in an aggressive way. He is perfectly capable of hooking them into the carpet for a nice long stretch or practically anything else that he would like to use them for. I didn't have the procedure done to him. It had already been done when I got him. An ad in the paper is because we only have a little over a month to make this happen. I'm not going to just give him to anybody. We will be picky and there may be a fee depending on how the prospective owner comes across to me. I don't feel the need to justify myself to this board more than saying that rehoming him is the only viable option and time constraints make an ad a must.

popcornbird
07-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Missy...just wondering. Is it in any way possible to have a friend look after him for four months, until you return to Japan? I don't mean care for him in your home. I mean...could you leave him WITH someone who would be willing to care for him while you're away, and return him when you get back home? That way you could get him back after your trip. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. :(

Sirrahsim
07-31-2005, 05:36 PM
It took Boomer several months to become used to Paul and I. By the time he would be comfortable with another family we woiuld be on the way home to rip him out of it. I've thought through all of my options and I really only have the one choice.:(

King Spartacus
08-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Have you had any luck? We're still keeping our fingers and paws crossed that Boomer will find a wonderful forever home!!!

And can I just say... before people start judging about the "getting rid of the cat" please do take the time to read the "original thread" which Freckles is giving the link to!

sirrahbed
08-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Missy...just wondering. Is it in any way possible to have a friend look after him for four months, until you return to Japan? I don't mean care for him in your home. I mean...could you leave him WITH someone who would be willing to care for him while you're away, and return him when you get back home? That way you could get him back after your trip. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. :(

I have not talked to Missy for a few days, but as of Saturday she still had no offers or anyone interested in Boomer:( Fostering would work - but there is not yet anyone to do even that:( Maybe the ad will bring some calls for him. She is very sad and wants to keep Boomer. The base is small and most apartments will not allow cats anyway:( :( Shipping him apart from her is very expensive (over $1,000) and the flights home she is taking - the last domestic leg does not allow pets. :( The airport is also a 4-6 hour drive just to get him there.

Also, I don't think finn's mom meant any harm. I do appreciate those who are trying to help Missy and support her but yes some will not understand or be upset - I don't think she needs approval though it is helpful....thank you freckles for reminding folks as to why Boomer needs a home.

Being military is very hard at times. I know that and she knows that and we do try not to complain because it is our life. This deployment is going to be stressful but she will be fine. Paul will be prayed for and protected. Yes, we did vhose this life or marry into it with our eyes open.

Let's keep hoping and praying that some catlover - nonmilitary would be ideal - will give Boomer a home!:)

finn's mom
08-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Also, I don't think finn's mom meant any harm.

Thank you. I believe the word describing what I felt is empathy. Realizing that it sucks that she has to find a home for Boomer. And, it does. That's all I said and, all I planned to say. She knows what's right for her cat.

christa
08-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Missy: There is a perfect home out there for Boomer . . . we should all pray that you find it, SOON! I can only imagine how hard this must be for you! It would defintiely ease your mind to find him a good home . . . *fingers & paws crossed* that the PERFECT person for Boomer will see your ad!!!

:)