PDA

View Full Version : Another brilliant new law

catnapper
07-28-2005, 07:00 PM
The other day, I went to Walmart to buy a can of spray paint for a craft project. Stood in line forever - needed just this one item. A whole 97 cent can of black paint.

Never did get the spray paint because I didn't have ID. I didn't have ID because I just ran in with cash to buy this one thing!

Apparently, its a new law that you need ID now to buy spraypaint... no matter how old you look because I just might be 17 and ready to go graffitti up the town. :rolleyes: Good intentions, but lousy in practice. Why not stop the graffitti in town, and make the townspeople liable instead of making the poor cashier working for $6 an hour the gate keeper?

It certainly didn't stop the kid from putting grafitti on my property last year. And who's to say they won't break into my house and steal my 97 cent can of spray paint? If they want to do it bad enough, they'll find ways to get the paint and make their mark.

Does this seem odd to you? Excessive? Just plain STUPID?

K9soul
07-28-2005, 07:25 PM
That does seem excessive to me for that reason, but are you sure it might not be because some kids will inhale paint fumes to get high? But then you'd have to present an ID to get magic markers or glue next... so it still seems odd, and seems odd that it wasn't obvious that you are an adult. Next they will make you have an ID to buy toilet paper because you might just use it to TP someone's yard ;)

dukedogsmom
07-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Just another example of the village raising the child. Even if you are an adult, you could still give it to, gasp, an innocent child to huff. If they want that stuff, they will get it. These assinine laws aren't going to prevent them from doing so. It just makes life more difficult for the rest of us.

kuhio98
07-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Here's another example. We can't buy more than 2 bags of cough drops at a time because we might be meth freaks. My hubby went to the store to get some because everyone in the house was sick so he decided to buy a couple of bags. NOPE! Seems druggies use cough medicine in their "recipe".

K9soul
07-29-2005, 07:57 AM
Geez, I had no idea it was getting this bad :(

moosmom
07-29-2005, 08:28 AM
Catnapper,

Sad isn't it??? "Huffing" as they call it, is the latest rage with teens. It where they spray the paint in a plastic bag and inhale. All in the name of getting high. I just read an article about the newest "huffing" sensation. Ya know the "air in a can" used to clean keyboards, hard drives, etc. Well, they're nowing using that to get a buzz. It's not as obvious as the pain is. It can cause an instant heart attack, brain damage, even death.

I know how aggravating it was for you, but ya gotta commend the store for sticking to the law and the store's policy.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-29-2005, 09:15 AM
And we moan in the UK cos we can't buy more than one box of paracetomal............has the world gone mad?

sirrahbed
07-29-2005, 09:16 AM
We had a similar problem buying the generic Sudafed at Wal-Mart:rolleyes: Pseudoephedrine

Is this a state law or a Sam's Law??

Pit Chick
07-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Whatever happened to a good old natural, from-the-earth, herbal high? Kids these days. :rolleyes: If someone wants the spray paint to do illegal things with it, they're gonna steel it. Duh. And what about the adults that huff?

senorita02
07-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Now that is just plain stupid!! Carded for spray paint!!??

I was carded for a lotto ticket last month, im 29! And just ran out like u did with my cash, ( ID) and they said NO i could not get one, ok if i was 17 i wouldnt be able to claim my winnings even if i did win.
(You have to be 18 to get a ticket)
i was so mad.

catnapper
07-29-2005, 09:56 AM
I understand the huffing thing, but I think its primarily for graffitti. I tried to find the law online, and saw it from other states, and they mentioend it was due to graffitti.

They can huff anything in aerosol, right? Hairspray, Room deoderizers, spray glue, etc? I don't know, as it never occured to me to want to get high off that stuff! I was spray painting outside and the fumes got to me there! :D Oh, I am such a fragile flower! :rolleyes: :p

Now, I also wonder... they sell spraypaint almost anywhere today. Craft store, discount store, etc. Will they card me there? I never did go anywhere else for the paint -- still need it too! :D I did notice last month one of the discount stores had spray paint behind a mesh cage and if you wanted it, you'd have to find a sales associate to unlock the cage. I never stopped to wonder what that was all about. I just assumed they were being proactive about stealing and graffitti (it was in a store in the heart of the city, with it own share of graffitii on the outside of the building.)

sasvermont
07-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Hey, it is because of the huffing, I am sure. Kids are still killing themsevlves with the stuff. So the law isn't so crazy after all. Kids even huff with the spray cans that clean computers and electronic equipment. Anything that is aerosol.

There was just a program on TV about the epidemic of sorts, with the aerosol cans, including paint cans.

This has been a problem for years and I guess they are trying to avoid selling the items to teenagers.

You should take it as a compliment. The clerk must have thought your were under 18!

catnapper
07-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Aha! I did find something. I'll look later for info regarding statewide, but here is an article for Philadelhia

graffiti law (http://www.innovations.harvard.edu/awards.html?id=3525)

"The first step of PAGN was to create tougher anti-graffiti regulations and to increase the intensity of law enforcement. An ordinance made it illegal to sell spray-paints to minors and prohibited unlocked displays of paints in stores. "

Whew, that was time consuming! :D But in my search I did learn a lot about graffiti!

catnapper
07-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by sasvermont
You should take it as a compliment. The clerk must have thought your were under 18!
Oh, how I wish that were true! I ran in with my hair pulled back and LOTS of grey roots in bad need of touch up showing bright as day against my almost black hair. No confusion as to whether or not I am anywhere near 18! :D ;) :p

Jadapit
07-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
We had a similar problem buying the generic Sudafed at Wal-Mart:rolleyes: Pseudoephedrine

Is this a state law or a Sam's Law??

Most States have made that a law. Sudafed is used to make meth. They are trying to stop the cooks from making it so its sold behind the counter. I think you can only buy two boxes at a time.

LaRana
07-29-2005, 11:03 AM
I had to show ID for buying a 3-pack of STP (the gasoline Supplement for getting better gas mileage), and I am a 24 year old married woman without children.

To me the whole argument against the "it takes a village" is sad when you look at the world the way it is today. It has come to the point where the general populous has had to step in and set up these kinds of rules in order to protect children because there are so many parents & guardians that are not taking the necessary steps to do so themselves. It shouldn't have to "take a village" because it is supposed to "take a family" to raise a child. HOWEVER - there are so many children these days that don't have a conventional family unit with a mother and a father figure that teach them good morals, values, and watch over them to make sure they aren't out huffing vapors! How sad it is that there are beautiful young children out there that don't have people that don't have parents to show loving care for them and their futures and set them up to lead happy, successful lives.

I applaud the parents that do the right thing & bring their children up right, show them love & concern, teach them good morals, and watch over them with tender care. It shows that these parents truly appreciate these precious gifts from God - their children.

finn's mom
07-29-2005, 11:17 AM
I think it's extreme, too, but, I don't care either way. I carry my driver's license with me everywhere I go. I've forgotten it on occassion, and, haven't been able to get a pack of smokes for my older brother, a lotto ticket, etc. I'll be 29 in September, but, I look a lot younger. I know when I worked in a photo lab in a grocery store, we sold the cigarettes back there, and, i carded everyone. I only had a handful of people who got bent out of shape about it, most people were cool with it. I've not bought spray paint or anything like that, so, I haven't experienced that. I did get carded for explicit lyrics on a cd recently though. Things are a changin', that's for sure. Maybe if adults and children would straighten up and fly right, we could get back to trusting people. Until then, though, things like this will continue to happen.

DJFyrewolf36
07-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Huffing and Grafitti both are really bad problems here so they have paint on mega-lockdown lol. In most places, they check your ID before they even unlock the cage where the paint is kept.

Although it is interesting to note that I get carded on a regular basis when I buy glue or paint for my models, yet I can go back to the SAME store and buy beer and not even looked at twice.

Does that make any sense?

Lady's Human
07-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Again, these laws would not exist without pandering politicians and the fools who vote for them.

"Huffing", despite what news stories say, is NOT a new phenomenon. When I was growing up it was "whippets" (inhaling the Nitrous Oxide from whipped cream cans), and other inhalants. Funny, you can still buy whipped cream, and they still use nitrous as the propellant.

STOP PASSING NEW LAWS AND ENFORCE THE ONES THAT ARE ON THE BOOKS!!!!!!

Heinlein had a good idea about laws. Every law should have an expiration, and it would need a 2/3 majority to keep it on the books past that date. The time legislatures would spend on renewing legislation alone would limit their time to come up with new foolishness.

I will never understand how people constantly moan and complain about the laws in this country, yet incumbents in the US Congress have a 90%+ re-election rate, and in most state and local legislatures it's closer to 100%. IF you don't like the laws, don't vote for 'em.

ILoveReptiles
07-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Brody's Mum
has the world gone mad?

Yes, I'm afraid so :(

catnapper
07-30-2005, 11:26 AM
LOL.... went to walmart today. This time for spraypaint and a plastic drop cloth. No carding necessary! :D I don't get it!

IRescue452
07-30-2005, 11:30 PM
We get carded around here for buying tp, eggs, and similar items during the homecoming time of year. As for walmart, I always take my id because they can card for glue, markers, paint, medicines, ext. I've only gotten carded twice, once for cough syrup and once for an R movie.