PDA

View Full Version : Dog proof litter box?

lv4dogs
07-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Now none of my dogs get into the cat litter boxes but I am getting a new puppy in 5 weeks & was looking for other litter boxes just in case.

I doubt any litter box is 100% dog proof but I was thinking about the booda cat box, that may be almost dog proof. And help keep the litter confined too. Like this one: http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=11197&sku=2350350021&tab=2&dept_id=665&c1=642&c2=665&c3=&ct1=Litter+%26+Litter+Accessories&ct2=Litter+Boxes&ct3=

Or if anyone has any other suggestions on boxes I'd love to hear them.
I know all about hiding the litter boxes (one of mine is currently in one of my closets) but I don't dare move any of my other boxes. I'm not taking the chance that they may not use the box if I do move them.

LeahMM
07-28-2005, 10:49 AM
I have two of those and two regular covered ones. A puppy can get in them. What I do is turn the openings towards the wall or another object and leave just enough room for the cats to squeeze in. Seems to keep the dogs at bay for the most part. The booda is a nice box but the cats still drag litter out with them.

Catsnclay
07-28-2005, 02:10 PM
When I had a dog & cat, the dog would come in and eat the cat poop :eek: :mad: so I got a little creative. I cleared out shelf space in my pantry, where the cat box was to begin with, but now it was on a shelf. Cat jumps up to use it, dog can't jump up on shelf. Problem solved. Or for me it was.

That litter box looks good, but if your puppy is small enough, he/she might be able to get in there too! :rolleyes:

Good luck!! :)

kittycats_delight
07-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Suggestion: Maybe a catflap on the door could help keep him out. It you can't find one for the box then maybe get some heavy plastic and velcro and you can make it yourself that is what we did. It worked for us.

elizabethann
07-28-2005, 02:18 PM
There's something you can put in your cats food so that when they poop, it tastes gross to the dogs. It doesn't harm the cat. My sister used it for her cats. Her dog stopped eating the poop. But I can't remember the name of the stuff.

Good luck.

kuhio98
07-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Catsnclay
When I had a dog & cat, the dog would come in and eat the cat poop :eek: :mad: so I got a little creative. I cleared out shelf space in my pantry, where the cat box was to begin with, but now it was on a shelf. Cat jumps up to use it, dog can't jump up on shelf. Problem solved. Or for me it was.

That litter box looks good, but if your puppy is small enough, he/she might be able to get in there too! :rolleyes:

Good luck!! :)
My sister had the same (disgusting) situation with her dog. Sascha (the dog) made herself very ill by eating kitty "rocca". My sister solved the problem by putting the cat box in the utility room and installing a small kitty door. The dog is too large to go through the door so she can't get to the "snacks". :eek:

lv4dogs
07-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I'm hoping he doesn't even start the habit but for safe measures I'd like to be prepared. lol

I think I'm gonna get the buda box & just face it kitty-corner to the wall so the pup can't get in.

I'm not too worried cause I have a great trainer & I am a great trainer too. lol Not to mention I'll be keeping a very close eye on him while he is still in his puppy stages and I'll be keeping him busy so hopefully that'll wear him out. lol

I MAY try to slowly move another box into the other closet, or just put a spare there & see if they use it, then remove the old box in the room.

catmandu
07-28-2005, 05:01 PM
THAT,IS LUCKILY,NOT A PROBLEM,AT THE FOUND CAT HOTEL.I WONDER,IF YOU COULD PUT,ONE,OF THOSE PLASTIC CUBES,WITH A SMALL ENTERANCE,IN FRONT,OF THE BOX,SO DOGS,COULD NOT FIT,IN.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/CaseyDigby.jpg