PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when.....

finn's mom
07-27-2005, 12:55 PM
....you're sad?

Like for me, today has been hard on my heart. I'm thinking of way too many things that I have zero control over. My heart hurts so much right now, and, I am really missing a few people and really confused by so many more. I've written a lot of my thoughts down, and, that helped some. But, not enough, my body was still in such a down mode. I got my head out of my butt, though, and, realized this little pity party I was throwing myself was getting me absolutely nowhere.

So, here's what I do when I know I'm being an idiot, and, I need to get moving...and, I need to laugh, and, smile and breathe. I dance. And, I dance. And, I dance. :) Well, today, first I started jumping rope. That got my heart going, but, I was still agitated. So, I played this song that has a real 80s sound to it. I just can't be sad when I'm dancing like Molly Ringwald from the Breakfast Club. I'm in such a good mood, now!

So, yeah, what is a fool-proof way that you get yourself to go from being blue to being bright again? I had to figure it out once because I realized how selfish I was being by allowing myself to be such a female dog. I mean, for a bit, it's no big deal....but, I was letting it take hours to get out of a funk. Anyway, dancing did it for me. :)

Samantha Puppy
07-27-2005, 01:11 PM
This sounds bad, but I actually (usually) enjoy my funks. Being able to slam doors and stomp around and all that eventually puts me in a better mood.

If I don't feel like using the funk to be all moody and mean, spending time with Samantha automatically cheers me up. She's just so sweet, I feel guilty if I'm not covering her with kisses and hugs.

finn's mom
07-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
This sounds bad, but I actually (usually) enjoy my funks. Being able to slam doors and stomp around and all that eventually puts me in a better mood.

If I don't feel like using the funk to be all moody and mean, spending time with Samantha automatically cheers me up. She's just so sweet, I feel guilty if I'm not covering her with kisses and hugs.

It doesn't sound bad at all. I love being miserable sometimes, too. I'm just talking about when you have been in one, and, you know it's time to get out of it. When it becomes selfish and completely nothing more than just being crappy. ;) I, too, enjoy a good cry, and, sometimes I get a lot more accomplished when I'm in a pissy mood. :) We're similar creatures, Jaime. I'm not surprised at all you responded to this, and, with such an upbeat answer. :)

joanofark
07-27-2005, 01:22 PM
I SHOP!:p:p:p lol Shopping ALWAYS cheers me up. Also cuddling with furbabies does the trick too:)

JenBKR
07-27-2005, 01:24 PM
When I feel like that I usually have a good cry. It really gets out all of the emotions and anxiety. After I get that out of the way, taking Roscoe for a walk or anything exercise helps. The dancing is a great idea :D

lv4dogs
07-27-2005, 02:05 PM
First I clean & clean & clean that gets my mind off things a bit, then I go shopping and then play with my critters. Always cheers me up.

Almita
07-27-2005, 02:08 PM
To cheer me up I play with muneca and listen to my favorite cd/singer Jhon Mayer!!!

finn's mom
07-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Good ideas, everyone! :)

Barbara
07-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Dancing and moving is a good recipe. Or going out and look at nature. Or taking a hot bath with something that smells really good- like orange blossom and cinnamon.

Or going to bed with a mystery novel and have a good and long sleep.:)

Lobodeb
07-27-2005, 05:18 PM
I listen to music that fits the mood. If I'm sad, I listen to love songs, if I'm angry, I listen to heavy metal, etc. There is one particular song about suicide that I think of when I'm really missing my dad (who committed suicide). I also just hold Maggy and talk to her. She's a great listener and always gives me kisses. I swear a good Maggy kiss can cure the world!

Pam
07-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Good thread! I am pretty much like the rest of you. I usually read or play with the dogs or groom them or clean the house. Of course shopping can definitely take away the blues. LOL! The most important thing to do to chase away the blues is to do something and not just sit and think. :)

Tweety_Pie
07-27-2005, 05:40 PM
When I'm sad.. I usually go for a walk.. I always go for a walk to my favourite place...which is a big hill in a feild with vegetable gardens.. it's so calming there. Sometimes I bring the dogs with me, or sometimes I bring my journal..and I even bring my mp3 player too. It helps me to get my mind off things!

I also play with my animals...to see them happy, makes me happy:)

anna_66
07-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Well I have to say quite honestly that the dogs are my way out of my funk. All I have to do is get down in the floor with them and it just melts away all the sadness, anger or whatever. They are very theraputic (expecially that Bon boy. He was made to make me smile, sent to us courtesy of Angus:))

dukedogsmom
07-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Shopping is always good! But, you can't always shop. I like to do my crafts. Making things for other people always makes me feel good. I just bought a new printer and am going to work on printing my photos onto cards. You need to move closer so we can scrapbook!

K9karen
07-28-2005, 12:48 AM
Gee, this is a hard one. I've had a 3 year funk with illnesses and death. I'm usually very happy but this has been tough. I try not to go to sleep during the day since I'm so drained. I've been grabbing something to read and sitting outside under the umbrella on the glider (love to rock) and enjoy Logan's antics chasing squirrels and birds. A glass of wine doesn't hurt either (I'm legal) Sometimes I call Pam, Rachel or Logan and whine! Pity them! :rolleyes: :)

Pawsitive Thinking
07-28-2005, 04:13 AM
I talk to my friends - in person or on PT!

binka_nugget
07-28-2005, 04:36 AM
I sing! I get really annoyed and angry at work sometimes. I just start singing "Bye Bye Blackbird". :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-28-2005, 05:18 AM
I cuddle my cats, eat tons of sweets, phone to friends, chat on PT and MSN, and of course........ go shopping!!!! ;)

finn's mom
07-28-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm glad to see so many of us have quick fixes like that! :)

Jamieejo85
07-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Kari, believe me I know how you feel. I feel said a lot. And usually I just write everything down or type it down (on my Myspace page) and it makes me feel a whole lot better:D

sammy101
07-28-2005, 03:45 PM
I take my kids to the park,and watch them play with their doggy friends(and human friends).

DJFyrewolf36
07-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Every time I am sad or down, I find one of my good Techno Cds or turn on the XM and rave dance :D. Sometimes I listen to music in my car and dance too lol (I love making people stare at me in traffic hehe).

My kitties also help me feel better :) and of course a good snuggle with the hubby is always nice.

dukedogsmom
07-28-2005, 05:16 PM
I love the Techno music! Music like that or dance music always makes me feel better.

carole
07-28-2005, 09:05 PM
It really depends on how sad I really am, if it is a mild sadness, just the usual down in the dumps feeling we all get from time to time a bit of retail therapy can help, just depends sometimes it can make me feel worse seeing all the nice things I really cannot afford to buy and would like, but other times it does generally pick me up, I also get into the cleaning mode, that helps a bit, or come online.,but mostly I just love to cuddle my kitties, they are always there for me, and give me unconditional love.:)

Oggyflute
07-29-2005, 05:39 AM
I just cuddle my kids when I'm down and that usually gets me going again. Cuddles are the best. Been doing a bit of cuddling lately.

finn's mom
07-29-2005, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Oggyflute
I just cuddle my kids when I'm down and that usually gets me going again. Cuddles are the best. Been doing a bit of cuddling lately.

Aw, Trev, I hope things are all right for you.

Oggyflute
07-29-2005, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by finn's mom
Aw, Trev, I hope things are all right for you.

My work was sold back to the parent company, with the last gas station being done today. I had to supervise the stocktaking etc, and then we went to the pub for a drink or three, so it has been a bit sad lately. I'm officially unemployed know. I have some more interviews coming up, so things will work out.:)

finn's mom
07-29-2005, 06:48 AM
I'm officially unemployed know. I have some more interviews coming up, so things will work out.:)

Man I know about unemployment (without unemployment benefits!!!), and, I'm glad things are looking up for you! I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-29-2005, 06:48 AM
I'm officially unemployed know. I have some more interviews coming up, so things will work out.:)

What a bummer! Hope things work out for you

Oggyflute
07-29-2005, 06:54 AM
Thankyou for your thoughts guys.:)