PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Hartz Flea/Tick Drops Plus?

Christiansmommy
07-27-2005, 09:12 AM
I have seen these in the store and was wondering about them. Does anyone here use them? I normally use Frontline, but was curious about this...

Here is info on them from their website...for the size Harlee would now need...

DESCRIPTION
Hartz速 ADVANCED CARE速 4 in 1速 Flea & Tick Drops Plus+ for Dogs and Puppies (weighing 46-60 lbs) is a monthly treatment that effectively controls flea and tick infestations. This formula kills and prevents adult fleas, ticks and mosquitoes, plus flea eggs and larvae thereby breaking the flea life cycle. Hartz速 ADVANCED CARE速 4 in 1速 Flea & Tick Drops Plus+ for Dogs and Puppies (weighing 46-60 lbs) contains both an insecticide to kill adult fleas, ticks and mosquitoes and an insect growth regulator (IGR) to kill flea eggs before they hatch. Adult fleas spend virtually all of their time on your pet, but they produce a vast number of flea eggs which drop off the pet and develop in the environment. Once fleas are apparent on your pet, there is already an infestation of the pre-adult stages in your home. Hartz速 ADVANCED CARE速 4 in 1速 Flea & Tick Drops Plus+ for Dogs and Puppies (weighing 46-60 lbs) is designed to kill both the adult flea and flea eggs and larvae, thereby breaking the flea lifecycle. This product also kills and repels the Deer tick, which may carry Lyme disease.

sasvermont
07-27-2005, 09:16 AM
Robyn, I am not a fan of over the counter flea treatments. I think Hartz has a bad reputation anyway. Just my thoughts..... not necessarily reality!

I would stick with the vet prescribed. By the way, you can get the vet prescribed at various pet sites. The place where I get my flea stuff is: Revivalanimal.com

;)

sammy101
07-27-2005, 09:19 AM
I've tried,but it doesn't work very well.It makes them smell like bugspray:eek: I would stick for Frontline

Christiansmommy
07-27-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by sasvermont
Robyn, I am not a fan of over the counter flea treatments. I think Hartz has a bad reputation anyway. Just my thoughts..... not necessarily reality!

I would stick with the vet prescribed. By the way, you can get the vet prescribed at various pet sites. The place where I get my flea stuff is: Revivalanimal.com

;)

Thanks for your thoughts on it. I have to buy one dropper at a time right now, since Harlee's weight varies/increases each month. Once she is a set weight, I can buy a whole pack and get it from somewhere other than the vet ( since the pet store I normally buy it from is a lot cheaper than the vet)...the vet will sell a dropper at a time for me...so that is good..thanks!

Lexi_Lover
07-27-2005, 09:23 AM
No, I don't like their foods and medications. They're more of a dog toy company thats thrying to get rich. ;) We use Heart Guard, it protects against everything.

lv4dogs
07-27-2005, 09:43 AM
i don't use anything from hartz. They have had a lot fo problems with a lot of their products & I don't care to support them at all. Even if they didn't have complications with their products they still don't really work.

Your vet (and most pet stores) will sell just one tube at a time. I'd stick with frontiline or advantage.

JenBKR
07-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Hartz products are bad in general, and I have heard their flea stuff doesn't work at all. They have a bad reputation, I wouldn't trust them.

beeniesmom
07-27-2005, 10:20 AM
I use advantage. It works and it doesn't bother my babies.

Kfamr
07-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Robyn, I advise you not to use it. Hartz flea products have been known to seriously injure or kill pets.
http://www.hartzvictims.org/

We use Frontline when needed. Most of the time they don't need anything.

Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
We use Heart Guard, it protects against everything.

Heartgard doesn't protect against everything. Heartgard only prevents heartworm and protects against roundworms and hookworms.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
No, I don't like their foods and medications. They're more of a dog toy company thats thrying to get rich. ;) We use Heart Guard, it protects against everything.

Heartgard only protects against heart worms. It isn't a flea/tick treatment.

I don't use any hartz products either, I don't trust them.

JenBKR
07-27-2005, 12:12 PM
I used frontline, and we had absolutely no problems. We also bought this spray to spray on the yard that kills the fleas and some other bugs that worked really well, but was not expensive. I think it was Ortho? I could be wrong, but it's something to look into.

Christiansmommy
07-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I will plan to stick with the Frontline. I never researched Hartz, so I wasn't sure. I will just continue to buy one dropper at a time from the vet, until she reaches a set weight. Thanks!

Robyn

Christiansmommy
07-27-2005, 12:56 PM
BTW, we actually don't have a tick or flea problem here, I have actually never found one on her...but I would rather be safe than sorry :) Thanks again!

Robyn

Logan
07-27-2005, 01:08 PM
For reasons mentioned in Kay's link, I wouldn't ever use Hartz, either, but recently, in effort to save money, we let the Petsmart lady talk us into getting BioSpot for the cats and dogs. It was significantly less expensive than the Frontline Plus that we normally use. MISTAKE! I only tried it on Mimi, who did have fleas at the time because I had waited too long. It did nothing. I ended up taking it all back and got my money back and went to the vet and bought Frontline Plus for everyone. I will plan ahead when I need some more and order it online as it is much cheaper that way.

Logan

IRescue452
07-27-2005, 01:27 PM
I am currently using Hartz and it seems to work fine. Then again I stopped using the expensive stuff because my dogs rarely see a flea or tick where we live, so I'll never know if it works or if there just aren't fleas around. Its never had a bad effect on my dogs.

CathyBogart
07-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Robyn, I advise you not to use it. Hartz flea products have been known to seriously injure or kill pets.
http://www.hartzvictims.org/

You beat me to it! :)

bckrazy
07-28-2005, 12:26 AM
I would never use Hartz either...

But, I wanted to add that you do not necessarily have to keep buying individual doses of flea/tick preventative. One of my friends has 3 dogs, 2 are medium and one is small, and she just buys a big pack of large dose Frontline Plus and uses a syringe (without the needle) to extract the right amount from the large doses for each dog. She pours the Frontline into a small cup and extracts the exact amount for each dog... I'd totally do it if I had more than one pup or I had a growing pup. If you look up the exact amount of medicine for dogs of Harlee's weight and you use that amount out of a large dose, you can get the same exact preventative but save a LOT of money by buying it in bulk. I've also asked my Vet about this, and she totally agrees :)