PDA

View Full Version : Agility Set?

jesse_3
07-27-2005, 12:47 AM
I was considering getting Jesse an agility set. You see, her back leg is going to have problems most likely when she gets older, etc. So, I was wondering about prices for an agility set?-and do you think that it would help her in the future?

Thanks!-Steph and Jes

*sled_dog*
07-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Agility equipment can be any price, but most of it is over $50.00. Alot of things are up to over $150.00. The agility equipment I have was home made.:) (by me/family). But it also depends on where you get it, how it is made, etc. I actually went on ebay.com and looked at prices there. I did get my tunnel from ebay.:p .

jesse_3
07-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks! I was thinking about making it myself...Do you have instructions that you could lend me?:rolleyes: What type of material(s) did you use, and what all did you make?:D

Steph and Jes

*sled_dog*
07-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Well I made my table, a-frame, dog walk, teeter, chute, and my jumps, etc. All we really used was wood and pvc poles. And then I would just go on google or something and get a picture of the object and then go by that.:D

jesse_3
07-30-2005, 10:34 PM
All right! I'll check it out, and hopefully build one! Thanks a bunch from Jesse!

Steph and Jes

MastiffCrazy10
08-09-2005, 07:14 PM
I have made agility equitment in the past and sold it, but buying agility equitment off the internet can at up to more than $200 for one item, it is an expensive sport.

jesse_3
08-10-2005, 12:30 AM
Thanks! I have to wait until next summer before I build my own though...I have many other projects to work on this summer...

Steph and Jes

JenWhite
08-15-2005, 01:10 PM
I recently saw some agility equipment at Petsmart. I think it was reasonably priced. There were several different pieces, but maybe just buying one or two at a time would be a good option :) I am thinking about buying some pieces for Buster too :D

Flatcoatluver
08-17-2005, 12:39 PM
before you get the agility set i would suggest taking her to agility class, because they know exactly how to get her right exspeciall when there on the teeter its really dangerous unless you have twon people to support them just incase they fall of or get scared. Remember agillity is fun

Flatcoatluver
08-17-2005, 12:41 PM
I made my table, weaves, jumpa, broad jump, tire jump, tetter, and then get a tunnel at grage sales or something i got my tunnel at a really cheap for a buck and it was in decent condition.

jesse_3
08-18-2005, 01:11 AM
I recently saw some agility equipment at Petsmart. I think it was reasonably priced. There were several different pieces, but maybe just buying one or two at a time would be a good option I am thinking about buying some pieces for Buster too

How resonable is the pricing, I am completely broke! (Looking for a job) I could buy one piece at a time I guess!

before you get the agility set i would suggest taking her to agility class, because they know exactly how to get her right exspeciall when there on the teeter its really dangerous unless you have twon people to support them just incase they fall of or get scared. Remember agillity is fun
Unfortunately, we have none available here:( I don't know if I will do the teeter totter, I am worried that Jes might get hurt!

Thank you everyone!-
Steph and Jes

Suki Wingy
08-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Petsmart has a $60 set of a jump, weave poles, and a tunnel that I plan on asking for for Christmas. Maybe you could too?

jesse_3
08-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Petsmart has a $60 set of a jump, weave poles, and a tunnel that I plan on asking for for Christmas. Maybe you could too?

OMG!:eek: That is amazing! That is one thing besides money for my pick-up and digital camera!!!!!

Thanks for the info!:D
Steph, Jes, and Splinter

k9krazee
08-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy

Wow! I am definately going to check into that...too bad I couldn't just get the tunnel...I already have 2 sets of weave poles and a couple of jumps.

Crikit
09-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Not to put a damper on your plans but you might want to reconsider the agility plans with Jesse. Agility is a very demanding sport both on mind and body. Dogs need to be in tip top shape to handle the equipment even the things that you think might be simple like jumps and tunnels can cause the dog some kind of harm, and the contacts and weaves are especially hard on the body. I realize that you want to do what's best for her but in the long run trying to teach her agility could actually make things worse for her in the long run.

Flatcoatluver
10-03-2005, 04:46 PM
not to be rude, but the tunnel you got, that i see in the pics, are a kind that kids would use, i would get that for 20 but i guess it includes the weaves, so i guess that might be ok of a deal. MY agility equiment cost under 50 bucks, I made all of it myself, I have 7 jumps,1 tire jump, tetter totter, table, tunnel (i got for free), weves (12) but 2 sets, and alot of other. so if you want to spent time making your own you can get alot better deals

IRescue452
10-08-2005, 10:33 PM
I have a few home-made obstacles for Autumn. I have them low to the ground since her back is bad and she can't jump much. I have a jump made from 3-foot wood dowels, two on each side and one going across, you could even put nails in different spots for different heights. I have a small hula hoop(tire) that I hold up with a metal tent stake. For weave poles you can just stick 3-foot wooden rods in the ground and they are only about a dollar each. I have a small tunnel from the toy section of Shopko, its about 6 feet long and cost around $10. I haven't made an a frame or dog walk or anything fancy but it doesn't look that hard if I had some planks. Since I just do this for fun I don't plan to spend much money on fancy equipment either, Autumn doesn't mind.

vinjashira
11-02-2005, 07:16 AM
have you checked this website? :)
http://www.peak.org/~helix/Agility/

I'd be interested to build them if only I had a bigger backyard :p

Sampson-my guardian angel
11-21-2005, 03:15 PM
thats true. it could cause her damage but my dog buster does the agility w/ three legs. He is good too. ;)

wolfsoul
11-21-2005, 09:28 PM
I would be worried that agility would put stress on Jesse's back leg. Agility is very physically demanding. If you are just doing some at-home activity I suppose that you could set the equipment to suit Jesse's needs, but I wouldn't take lessons or compete because it can be rough on a dog. I know that at the agility screening for mine and Visa's club, they would never pass a three-legged dog because the health risks are too high.

I often see an agility set being sold at dog shows and small pet stores for around $60. It comes with a jump, weaves, a pause box, and a tunnel. If you want high quality equipment though, be prepared to spend! I have three jumps, a 6-pole set of weaves (with guides), a tire, and a tunnel, and that is over $700 worth of equipment right there. Go to as many agility trials as you can and enter the draws. All of my equipment (except the tunnel) was won at agility trials.

Toby's my baby
11-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Hey Steph, I dont do agility or anything, but I just thought I would let you know, that we do have agility classes here. Michele Davis does them, Emma went to her, and so did, Karen, who is also a PT member, with Holly. She is awsome!! I went to a couple of classes with Emma and Prince, and she was great. Also, I went to an obidience class, and Jim, the guy that I went to, was going to have a agility class, too. I would go to Michele though, if you want you can call her, or she has a grooming and boarding thing over at Tom's town and country. :)