> A man in Richfield, Ohio (near Akron) is moving to
> Europe (his wife is
> already there) in about 2 weeks. He is going to
> abandon 50 GSDs and GSD mixes
> as well as 12 cats. THe Humane Society wont help until
> he actually abandons
> them and at that point they would have to put them all
> down. PLEASE we will
> really need a lot of help to save these guys.
> You can contact me directly. I will be gathering
> information and having some
> people I know in that area check the situation out.
> Here are the
> numbers for people in that town who originally told us
> of this situation
> Dorothiea Preston 330-722-4115 and
> Elaine 330-659-9330.
>
> To contact me: [email protected], 513-732-3091,
> 513-518-0529
>
> Karen Shirk
> Executive Director
> 4 Paws For Abilty, Inc. A Non-profit, 501c3 agency
> Check out our website
> www.4pawsforability.org Service Dogs And GSD Rescue
> Karen, Ben - The Wonder Dog, TC - Too Cute and Totally
> Crazy, and introducing
> River Rapid's Risn', our new puppy!!
> 4 Paws For Ability, Inc. - Taking the "dis" Out Of
> "dis"ABILITY
> 4 Paws Rescue - Making a difference ONE GSD at a time!
> 513-732-3091 513-518-0529 [email protected]
> 1414 Lake Allyn Road, Batavia, Ohio 45103

Sudilar
02-24-2002, 06:11 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!

Was he a breeder? a rescuer? How did he get 50 GSDs? Maybe Chicagoland Shepherd Rescue might know of someone in that area who could help. I will forward this crosspost to them and see if I get a reply. This is unbelievably horrible!!!

I also e-mailed GSD rescue in Northern IL.

aly
02-24-2002, 09:05 PM
You can probably safely assume he isn't a rescuer. Rescuers know their limits. How could you possibly give 50 dogs the proper care and attention they need? I don't think its possible unless he's a millionaire with a staff to take care of the dogs. Also a rescuer would most likely not move without finding a home for their dogs.

This is disgusting! My heart breaks for the dogs and cats. I pray they will be rehomed safely.

Angels3
02-25-2002, 12:33 AM
Is there any law that this person could be breaking by abandoning those animals?
If they are GSDs, would the police & military be interested in taking some into their services?
I think the people who are trying to help the animals are wonderful. Would the newspapers & radio stations in the area broadcast a plea that these animals need new homes.
Marie

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-25-2002, 01:33 PM
I know that the military takes GSDs that are between the ages of 2 and 3. I would love to help out, but need more information. I can contact some K-9 units in my area and see if they maybe interested. 50 dogs! Wow!

Angels3
02-25-2002, 09:16 PM
There are email & phone contacts re police dogs on these sites:

The National Police Canine Association http://www.npca.net

North American Police Work Dog Association http://www.napwda.com

Maybe they could suggest helpful contacts for seeing if any of these GSDs would be OK for training as police or military dogs.
Marie

ramanth
02-27-2002, 09:34 AM
The number of animals is still bad but it's not 50 like the previous email stated....

Here is a direct link if you want to help. They are looking for donations, foster parents, and adoptive parents....

http://www.geocities.com/gsd4pawsrescue/richfield.htm

There are now images on the site....

aly
02-27-2002, 12:04 PM
Those pictures break my heart.

delidog
02-27-2002, 07:41 PM
oh these poor creatures!!!! this brakes my heart!!!! i wish that i was closer.....i will send a donation....i don't know what else to do....have you contacted the g.s.d.,chow rescue groups in that area????? those faces are tugging at my heart...out in the cold like that....poor fur babies!!!! i wish i could take them all to sunny florida....why not contact jay at [email protected] dogsandcatsforever.com...maybe jay knows contacts in taht area...or bestfriends.com...have they heard of this deplorable situation?????? i am racking my brain trying to come up with something to help them...the deli dog:( :(

delidog
03-03-2002, 05:53 AM
any word on the sheperds????

tatsxxx11
03-04-2002, 05:06 PM
Reading the update was such great news!! So many wonderful groups pulling together!!

delidog
03-04-2002, 06:25 PM
what update?!?!?!?! are they o.k.????

tatsxxx11
03-04-2002, 06:31 PM
Click on Ramanth's link above and scroll down to "UPDATE!" The news is good. And once on that page, if you click on the second of two additional info. links referencing a local newspaper article, you'll get the whole story about how this came about. Seems the eldery fellow/breeder put out the word that he is desepately trying to find homes for his dogs and the word has gotten out! So many wonderful groups got together to help him find homes for them!

Here's the link to the article.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/news/local/2777553.htm

jackiesdaisy1935
03-04-2002, 09:45 PM
Thank goodness for the people who love animals and pull together, I am so happy this will have a happy ending. I'm sure working together they will all have good responsible homes.
Jackie

Sudilar
03-04-2002, 09:52 PM
Thank goodness for all those rescues!!!! I hope they all find forever homes quickly.

Gio
03-05-2002, 05:51 AM
That's a relief, I was dreading what could have happened to them!