PDA

View Full Version : One more question about training...

JenBKR
07-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Ok I think we have decided to get Roscoe in an obedience class. Petsmart and Petco are nearby, and both do training. This may be a dumb question, and I know that it pretty much depends on the actual trainers, but in general does anyone know if either of them would be a good way to go, or am I better off opening the phone book? Thanks for any help!

LeahMM
07-26-2005, 02:22 PM
All of my dogs were trained at Petsmart although there is only one trainer there that I would use.

elizabethann
07-26-2005, 02:26 PM
I've seen pets being trained in PetCo but it's right in the aisle! However, at PetSmart, I've seen them being trained in a special section cordoned off specifically for training. Now, I've met someone whose dog was trained at PetCo and they were pretty happy with the training (I even met the trainer and she was nice). I've never met anybody whose dog was trained at PetSmart.

I'm not sure if PetCo & PetSmart are cheaper than the trainers you would find in a phone book.

Do you know anyother dog owners in your area that you could ask for recommendations?

JenBKR
07-26-2005, 02:35 PM
I can ask around a little. I know that my sister-in-law trained her dogs herself, and she offered to help, but to be perfectly honest I don't think her dogs are that well behaved. I know that our Petsmart has a sectioned off area, and have seen classes going on there. I have no idea where they do the training at Petco, but out Petco is new. Thanks for the help!

lv4dogs
07-26-2005, 02:51 PM
It all depends on the trainer. I'd suggest that you sit in on a class & see for yourself if you like the way the trainer trains. Also after class speak to some of the owners & ask their opinion on how they like thay like the trainer.

Your vet should have some great reputable reccomendations for you too!

Good luck & kudos to you for helping your loving pup!

JenBKR
07-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Good ideas, thanks guys! I did ask around work a little bit, and got a few ideas. Actually, one person did suggest Petsmart. Roscoe is usually such a good dog, I think we really lucked out. I know that a lot of dogs from shelters aren't always as well-behaved. He had a family before though, so they probably trained him some. After taking him to the groomers they said that he was the best behaved dog they had ever seen fresh from a shelter. I love that animal! :D