PDA

View Full Version : Baby Birds? :(

Kfamr
07-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Nala's been going insane over the lemon tree in the dog's yard. There's been a nest in it for a while but days ago, the nest was empty. Today I looked and there are 3 baby birds. There was no mother in sight, no one to come peck at me or anything. Do you think the mother fled because of Nala? (EVERYTIME they go outside to pee, Nala is looking up in the tree. She's never acted aggressively about it, just VERY curious.)

I took a picture of the nest. I'm not sure if they are alive or not. I know nothing about baby birds or their births. I'm going to be watching to see if a mother comes back or not, or if I hear any chirping from them.

*EDIT* Yay, I just peeked in on them again, and they have their little beaks wide open! Hopefully momma's coming home soon with warm breakfast!

Lexi_Lover
07-26-2005, 10:33 AM
Oh..I hope the mommy comes back. They're so helpless! :( Usually if someone is there all the time, it scares the mother and she gets weery and flies away. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't come back. :(

Lexi_Lover
07-26-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm so glad they're alive! :) You couldn't dig up some worms could you?

gemini9961
07-26-2005, 10:35 AM
I hope Momma comes back as these little ones need her.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-26-2005, 10:45 AM
That's a relief - expect Mum knows Nala isn't a real threat

Cookiebaker
07-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Aww!! They are so sweet! :) I know the Mom bird can be away for a while, so I wouldn't worry about it yet. Please keep us updated, I would love to watch them grow. :)

ramanth
07-26-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm sure birds are used to dogs looking curiously up at them.

There was a robin sitting on her nest on a low branch at the dog park, so I'm sure your mom will be back soon. :D

Hope you can get a picture of Mom sitting on her nest!

Kfamr
07-26-2005, 12:46 PM
I was taking this picture...
http://petevents.com/~simba/babybirds1.jpg
And then momma flew in..
http://petevents.com/~simba/babybirds2.jpg
:D :D

popcornbird
07-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Awwwwwww! Little babies! :D Glad to see the momma back!

Jadapit
07-26-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm glad mom is back!:D Thats so cool that you have a lemon tree. Do you guys use a lot of the lemons?

Almita
07-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Aww that is good that there momma came nack to feed them and take care of them. At least they are A OK.

Kfamr
07-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Jadapit
Thats so cool that you have a lemon tree. Do you guys use a lot of the lemons?

Usually we end up giving away quite a few. We make fresh lemonade out of them, too. :)

lizbud
07-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Oh, happy to see the momma came back.:)

Giselle
07-26-2005, 04:43 PM
AWWWWWWWWW!!!!! I LURVE little, itty bitty chicks!!!!! I can't take pictures of my own because it scares the mom (we have budgies).

Kfamr
07-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Well, my dad and I just got home from driving 2 hours to deliver the remaining baby bird to Suncoast Seabirds Sanctuary.

When I got home today from the beach, my mom said she found one of the baby birds dead under the tree (we'd check before we let the dogs out and watch them.) I went and checked the nest and there was only 1 left in there and the nest was about to fall out of the tree. I'm guessing one of our idiot neighbor's cats, a squirrel, or another bird. I KNOW for sure it wasn't our dogs, none of them can reach to where it was.

I grabbed the nest and put it in a box with some blankets. The baby was chirping all the way to the rehabilitator place. We found out "he" was a mocking bird and in excellent shape for now. They also said he'd have a lot of company because they've been recieving a lot of mocking birds. To the mocking bird mommies: Learn to put your nest somewhere higher and safer!!

I got some more pictures and a video of "him" as well as some of the birds at the sanctuary., but i'm too tired to post anything right now.

CountryWolf07
07-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Awww..

I had to check on this thread.. poor birdies..