PDA

View Full Version : Space shuttle Discovery liftoff... 10:39

Kfamr
07-26-2005, 09:36 AM
http://baynews9.com/content/36/2005/7/26/110085.html

3 minutes on the countdown clock. We should be able to see it from here. Mom called me from work and woke me up just to tell me to call her when there's 10 seconds left. :rolleyes: :p

Lexi_Lover
07-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Oh wow! Thats neat that you get to see it! :) Kay, would you be able to take some pictures? :)

Pawsitive Thinking
07-26-2005, 09:43 AM
wow! Hopes for a safe and successful mission

Kfamr
07-26-2005, 09:54 AM
Man, the sun was too bright (imagine that!) and we couldn't see anything. The sun was reflecting off of the few clouds in that direction and made the whole sky white.

I heard the grumbling though.

LeahMM
07-26-2005, 10:09 AM
My view was NASA TV but exciting just the same.

gemini9961
07-26-2005, 10:39 AM
I watched it on TV. I went outside to try and see it but it was pretty bright and some trees were in my way. At my parents we can see it all the time, no trees in the way there. I have seen it before at the Cape at nighttime. It suddenly was daytime when it took off :eek: Very beautiful though and I get goosebumps everytime I watch it take off.

Daisy and Delilah
07-26-2005, 11:00 AM
We had a beautiful view from here. It always puts a tear in your eye to see it go up. It never ceases to amaze me. I have also seen them go up from the Cape and nothing can compare to it.

Terry

ramanth
07-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by LeahMM
My view was NASA TV but exciting just the same.
Same here! Watched it online from work. Simply breathtaking!

Not sure if they still are, but they were replaying the liftoff at all the different camera angles. :D

Oggyflute
07-27-2005, 01:42 AM
I hope for a safe return. I think everyone will be holding there breath on re-entry.

Almita
07-27-2005, 09:37 AM
That was cool that you were able to see it. I just got to saw it on the internet becuase i woke up too late to see it on tv.:rolleyes: :D

CountryWolf07
07-27-2005, 03:01 PM
I got to watch it on TV - it is really unbelieveable and such an amazing experience to see it happening! It is so amazing how they had a camera on the rocketship.. and seeing the earth's outline and the neverending black space!

RICHARD
07-27-2005, 04:42 PM
The shuttle is an amazing craft..

I have seen it fly on the back of a 747 when they brought it to Palmdale, Ca to have it refurbished...

I have also held a real shuttle tile in my hand.

The tiles are made of silica (sand) and are sooo light....thei are like a very porous foam.

The most amazing part about the tiles is that there are thousands on the belly of the ship-al hand glued and each one is
numbered and custom cut and fitted....

One of the most amazing things that I have seen is a tile heated until it glows red......As the edges cool off you can pick it up while the center of it is still glowing!

I thought I heard someone say the tile was still about 1,000 degrees F, In at the center.

The camera that gave the view of the outside of the shuttle was made by a company in Pasadena, It's a one use camera and costs about 100,000 dollars to build...

:eek:

But you can't develop the pictures at the photo shop thought...:confused: :D ;)