PDA

View Full Version : Weird Cockatiel behaviour. Help needed

Shanna
07-25-2005, 07:39 PM
I just got a new Cockatiel on Sunday afternoon. Since we got him he has not ate a thing and has hardly moved around. He hasn't consumed any water yet so he must be dehydrated as well.

I know the stress of the new home may be overwhelming but is this normal? Is it just a bit stressed from the move? Should I be worred?

I also noticed that every time I take it out of the cage it poops! Is it just the stress that has made it poop when coming nout of the cage?

Please help!!

- New owner

popcornbird
07-26-2005, 02:16 AM
Hi there! First, welcome to Pet Talk! Second...are you sure he's not eating?

I remember that when I first got my tiels, they didn't eat either...for the first week or so. Actually...they didn't eat 'in front' of me, or anyone, and that was probably due to the stress of being in a new environment. Their seeds were 'shelled' at night though, when I changed their food, so I knew they were eating something. It could be that because of the stress of being in a new home, and around new people, he might be scared and may not be eating in front of you. Cockatiels often eat little when they first arrive in their new homes.

He's probably pooping when you take him out due to nervousness. My lutino cockatiel, Popcorn, used to do that when we first got him.

Are his poops 'normal'? That in itself could tell you a lot about the bird's health, and from the frequency of the poops, you should be able to tell if he's eating. Is he active? Does he appear to be healthy/well fed? If he looks okay and is acting normally, he probably IS eating when you are not watching. I'm sure he's drinking too........I didn't see my birds drink at all for the first 2-3 weeks, but they were. They just had to feel comfortable to eat and drink when we were around. What are you feeding your bird? If the food you are offering him is different from the food he is used to, that might be the cause of him not eating. Birds need to be introduced to new foods gradually. If you are concerned and feel something might be wrong, or if you notice anything wrong in the bird, then a trip to the vet should be in order. Hope that helps!

CagneyDog
07-26-2005, 06:34 PM
I don't know anything about cockatiels so I am not much help, but I jsut wanted to wish you luck. Do you have any pictures you can post?

Oh, and maybe you can do a google search for cockatiel forums.

Good luck

Shanna
07-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Are his poops 'normal'? That in itself could tell you a lot about the bird's health, and from the frequency of the poops, you should be able to tell if he's eating. Is he active? Does he appear to be healthy/well fed? If he looks okay and is acting normally, he probably IS eating when you are not watching. I'm sure he's drinking too........I didn't see my birds drink at all for the first 2-3 weeks, but they were. They just had to feel comfortable to eat and drink when we were around. What are you feeding your bird? If the food you are offering him is different from the food he is used to, that might be the cause of him not eating. Birds need to be introduced to new foods gradually. If you are concerned and feel something might be wrong, or if you notice anything wrong in the bird, then a trip to the vet should be in order. Hope that helps!

Thank you for the warm welcome Popcornbird:)

His poop does look normal to me, which is a very good sign. I'm a first time cockatiel mommy so i don't know how active the typical cockatiel is, however he does seem pretty quiet. He doesn't move around much. I just realized that he is eating his millet seed treat, which is good. He ate some seed late last night, however, he didn't eat much. The only time I was able to get him to drink (that i have realized) is when I took the water bowl and put it in front of him. I am very concerned that he does not take interest in vedgies. I have given him carrots, brocoli, and sweet potato. Is there any fruits that your Cockatiel's like?

I will post the food name when I get home later (I'm on a work comp)

I also forgot to mention that he is kind of shaking. He is not like obssesively shaking but just a little, its hard to notice if your not looking at him at a close distance. Is this just nerves?

Thank you SO MUCh for your help!