PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Bengal.......

aprilynn
07-25-2005, 03:41 PM
My husband's boss bought a bengal kitten last year... He's about 1 year old right now.... Unfortunately, they can't keep him due to their dog not getting along with him and other issues. I have agreed to take him, he is 100% pure bred bengal (he looks like snow leopard!!) I'm very excited, but I am concerned because I already have two cats. I have a 4 year old himy/siamese and 1 year old siamese mix... both are spayed females. The bengal is neutered. Is there anything I should know or watch for or prepare for? Do you all think that they will get along after a while? How can I make this process as smooth as possible? Also...even tho he's fixed, will he still pee everywhere because there's females in the house? Thanks for your help.

catnapper
07-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Congrats! I'm sure the transition to 3 cats will be just fine. To make the move easier on all parties involved, put him in a spare room (even if its just the bathroom) for a few days before the girls meet him whisker to whisker. They all need to get used to the smells of the other cats, so give each cat a blanket or towel with the other cat's smell on it.

catmandu
07-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I THINK,THAT THINGS WILL GO FINE,AND IF YOU TAKE,THE INTRODUCTIONS SLOW,AND EASY,THINGS,SHOULD WORK OUT,JUST FINE!!

A BENGAL,ONE YEAR ,OLD ,WE CAN HARDLY,WAIT,FOR PICTURES.
I BET,YOUR GIRLS,WILL BE SETTING THIER CAPS,FOR THE HANDSOME MAN,SOON.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos449.jpg

jenluckenbach
07-25-2005, 05:00 PM
The Bengal breed can be "wild" so make sure to do introductions slowly and only under supervision.

Are your females spayed? I had a neutered male who sprayed when my then unspayed female went into heat.

Make sure to add at least one more litter box, food and water station to curb any problems with rivalry and resentment about sharing.

Best of luck with your new addition. I'd love to see him (the snow bengals are GORGEOUS!)

LaRana
07-25-2005, 08:04 PM
My bengal is a male, but an only child. He is very friendly with other animals - particularly dogs. He has always been very curious of all the cats that visit him through our glass porch doors and never arched his back once he realized that there were "other" cats in the world.

Bengals are a great breed. Just be prepared for a very active, talkative cat who is more interested in hooman attention than being outside. Oh, and be careful of leaving shiny new things around. They can be cleptomaniacs with shiny metal things. And if you leave blankets on the couch or other seating areas, be careful before you sit down because they will cover themselves up.

Doing a little "google" research on the breed will definitely be helpful.

Lobodeb
07-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Payton is half bengal so I can only echo what LaRana says. They are a great breed as he is my first.

LOL about the cleptomania. How true. So far, he does well on a harness when we take him outside, however, he doesn't like being pulled yet, but he's only 4 1/2 months old.

The introductions went very well, but he was only 9 weeks when I brought him home. He does very well with Maggy and is just a little ball of love.

Good luck!

LaRana
07-27-2005, 11:18 AM
The Cleptomaniac strikes again - Loki tried to sneak off with his dad's gray shiney silk tie in his mouth last night. He hasn't done that in a while! It seems he only has the cleptomania problem with new (to him) shiney things.

Lobodeb
07-27-2005, 11:33 AM
LOL!! Last night my husband was so offeneded when Payton tried to take is workout shirt off the treadmill. I wish I had a pic of my hubby's face. He said "where was he taking it?" I tried expaining that it was Payon's kill, but hubby wanted no part of it.

Payton the Clepto.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Congrats! I'm sure the transition to 3 cats will be just fine. To make the move easier on all parties involved, put him in a spare room (even if its just the bathroom) for a few days before the girls meet him whisker to whisker. They all need to get used to the smells of the other cats, so give each cat a blanket or towel with the other cat's smell on it.

That's what I do when introducing a new cat into the house too. I keep the new addition in the bathroom and my other cats like to sniff and play footsy with the new cat under the door.

sasvermont
07-27-2005, 01:28 PM
But.....I had to rehome a young male Bengal cat. Tiberius, the Bengal was the SWEETEST cat but found out that one of my resident cats had an inferiority complex and then systematically tried to destroy her. I had to rehome him. He is fine now, but since he was SO big and SO strong, it was an impossible battle between the two cats- I could not control him. Tiberius was fine with my other cat.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid57/p2e4090c10a881c3025b2e1ce7ce99094/fc6b917c.jpg

With a heavy heart, Ti moved to Connecticut and is now residing with two dogs and another 1/2 Bengal (kitten, now grown)....and is very, very happy.

You don't want to mess around with a cat that is that strong physically and mentally.

Not all Bengals are like Ti, for sure, but I do think his size and muscles played a big part in the problem. He was SOLID MUSCLE.

:rolleyes:

catlady1945
07-27-2005, 05:14 PM
We saw some Bengals in the pet shop - about 5 or 6 months old. They were gorgeous; one was jumping all over two sleeping ones.