PDA

View Full Version : Are you a hugger?

jenluckenbach
07-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Here on pet talk we are often giving virtual hugs. It is nice. But in real life, are you a hugger?

cocker_luva
07-24-2005, 07:24 PM
i love hugs!

petslover
07-24-2005, 07:28 PM
I love hugs too! :D

jenluckenbach
07-24-2005, 07:33 PM
I have always WANTED to be one of those people who hug everyone in sight. But I can't bring myself to do it. :( And if someone hugs me, I feel very self-consious about it, sort of strange.
I LOVE to hug my husband, but beyond that, I never initiate a hug. (even though deep down, I want to)
Makes me sad that I can't love more, but I want simply not brought up in a touchy-feely type of family, I guess.

Lexi_Lover
07-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I have always WANTED to be one of those people who hug everyone in sight. But I can't bring myself to do it. :( And if someone hugs me, I feel very self-consious about it, sort of strange.
I LOVE to hug my husband, but beyond that, I never initiate a hug. (even though deep down, I want to)
Makes me sad that I can't love more, but I want simply not brought up in a touchy-feely type of family, I guess.

Exactly, except....I don't have a husband. Sometimes my friends, always my family but other then that, I just can't!

luvofallhorses
07-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Yep, I love hugs! :)

sirrahbed
07-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Interesting thought Jen! (((HUGS))) :D

I was also brought up NOT to hug - very strict and distant family. My husband comes from a hugging family. Over the years I have become a better hugger - starting of course with my husband and then I hugged my kids all the time. Now I will also hug my female friends. I am not naturally *huggy* though and sometime wish I were more open about it.

KYS
07-24-2005, 08:09 PM
I usually kiss/or hug my family members and
sometimes hug friends.

Cataholic
07-24-2005, 08:12 PM
I am huggy. My SIL is the best hugger though. She hugs everyone each time she sees us, and then when we leave! It is great.

furrykidsmother
07-24-2005, 08:12 PM
GUILTY! I am a hugger!!

auggie
07-24-2005, 08:22 PM
I was brought up like Sirrahbed and only hug very few people, but
I love to hug all animals. My cats get quite annoyed with me sometimes.
:D

Karen
07-24-2005, 08:48 PM
As anyone who has ever met me can attest, I am a hugger. And when you've been hugged by a Peterson - my maiden name - dagnabbit, you know you've been hugged! ;) I try to restrain myself if I can tell someone is going to be uncomfortable, but yup - I'm a hugger!

Beware!

Buddy Blaze Lover
07-24-2005, 08:59 PM
I don't hug much...but I wish I could! Only CLOSE friends and family really...and people that force me to hug them!! lol!:rolleyes:

finn's mom
07-24-2005, 09:17 PM
I meant to vote everyone, but, i clicked on only people of the same sex. Drat. ;) But, yeah, I will hug anyone that will hug me back! :)

anna_66
07-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Karen
As anyone who has ever met me can attest, I am a hugger. And when you've been hugged by a Peterson - my maiden name - dagnabbit, you know you've been hugged! ;) I try to restrain myself if I can tell someone is going to be uncomfortable, but yup - I'm a hugger!

Yep I can vouch for that...Karen gives great hugs!

And yep, I'm a hugger:D I'll hug anyone who will hug back!

kittycats_delight
07-24-2005, 09:39 PM
My husband is italian so it is natural to hug everyone. I do it a lot more than I used to. I guess it kinda came as second nature once I spent time with his friends and family in Italy. Now I hug everyone.

Cookiebaker
07-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Hmmmm, I'm not sure, it's hard to explain. :o I am definitely NOT a hug initiator. BUT, I don't mind if someone else makes the first move, except when I'm not sure of their intentions. Like some people I'm always afraid of doing the wrong thing :rolleyes: Like to give them a hug, when all they meant was a peck on the cheek, ya know?? :o

One time, we went to a Church, and in the middle of the Worship service, everybody gets up and hugs everybody else. There is NOTHING more embarrassing than being emassed by tons of people that you have never met and don't even know if you like or not. I didn't fit in too good at that church. :p

G535
07-24-2005, 10:43 PM
No I'm not. I like the virtual ones and of course I always hug animals!

wolflady
07-24-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm definitely a hugger. I'm a really "touchy feely" person which can probably make certain folks uncomfortable, although it's not my intent to make people uncomfortable. I hugged everyone I met at the BBQ whether they wanted one or not!:o

**hugs**

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-24-2005, 11:37 PM
I like hugs a lot more than kisses (from family that is,) because hugs are just more... more contact, and they feel good. I love hugging, whoever, wherever, whenever! :D

DJFyrewolf36
07-24-2005, 11:51 PM
I didn't used to be a hugger...I was really shy until I met my husband and started going to parties. The people I met really showed me the good thats left in humanity...and made me a lot more outgoing.

Im a major hugger now lol

Tollers-n-Dobes
07-24-2005, 11:59 PM
I'm definitely not a huggy type of person, I don't like being touched by anyone. I'll tolerate it for relatives I rarely see but other than that I like to keep a litle distance between myself and another person....

popcornbird
07-25-2005, 12:04 AM
Me? Huggy? Of course! LOL! Though I was shy as a child and not so touchy back then, I've become more 'huggy' as I've grown older. I did SECRETLY like hugs back then too, but because I was shy, I didn't really show it.

Now, I ***love*** hugs, but I wouldn't hug EVERYONE. (What I mean by that is not any random person I don't even know.) ONLY family, close relatives, and friends.......not only close friends.........any friend....even aquaintances, but the feeling is different and more 'special' when its a dear friend. :p LOL! I tend to feel a bit shy in hugging people I don't know too well, but if they initiate it, I will hug them anyway. AND, if it isn't family, or a child, I *only* hug people of the same sex. Its actually a cultural thing for us to give hugs when greeting a person or saying goodbye...so it just feels wrong NOT to hug someone visiting when they come/go. Again, of course that only applies to women and male family members.

krazyaboutkatz
07-25-2005, 12:16 AM
I was never really much of a hugger but have become much more of a hugger as I've gotten older. Now I hug friends, family, and even some PT people that I've just met in person for the first time.:)

RobiLee
07-25-2005, 12:55 AM
I'm a hugger.:D

Ally Cat's Mommy
07-25-2005, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

Jen - the day I meet you, you will have to beat me off with a stick to prevent me from giving you the BIGGEST HUG!!!

I love to HUG - Hubby isn't much of a hugger though - he says I make him claustrophobic!!:rolleyes: - so I just get my daily hug quota from the cats!!

Pawsitive Thinking
07-25-2005, 05:00 AM
You can't beat a good hug!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-25-2005, 06:13 AM
I love "getting" hugs ;) . Usually I am to shy to give hugs, so it is restricted to family and close friends...:D .
I really learned how to hug during my 2 years in the USA!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20787%20hugs.gif

Do you all know that here in Belgium (and most of Europe), we don't hug, but kiss? In Flanders it is 3 kisses in a row (right, left, right). But is the French part of Belgium, and in France, you get 4 kisses in a row!!! between young adults, it is very common to give everybody one kiss :)

I know, we're a kissing folk ;) :) :) http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%2029%20kiss.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%2029%20kiss.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%2029%20kiss.gif

kittycats_delight
07-25-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
I love "getting" hugs ;) . Usually I am to shy to give hugs, so it is restricted to family and close friends...:D .
I really learned how to hug during my 2 years in the USA!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20787%20hugs.gif

Do you all know that here in Belgium (and most of Europe), we don't hug, but kiss? In Flanders it is 3 kisses in a row (right, left, right). But is the French part of Belgium, and in France, you get 4 kisses in a row!!! between young adults, it is very common to give everybody one kiss :)

I know, we're a kissing folk ;) :) :) http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%2029%20kiss.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%2029%20kiss.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%2029%20kiss.gif

I can attest to that. In Italy it's two but it's blended with a hug. One on each cheek. Muah Muah

Pawsitive Thinking
07-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Someone could do with a few PT hugs..............

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84549

moosmom
07-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Hugging in VERY good therapy. I LOVE to hug. There are times when I wish I had someone to hug. When I went to a flea market, I bought a brown stuffed bear that I used to keep my State Police hat on. I named him trooper. Whenever I feel the need for a hug, he's my man (that AND MooShoo, of course!!)

cloverfdx
07-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Yep i am a hugger, never use to be but as i have gotton older i hug more often. I practice on the dogs ;) :p.

dukedogsmom
07-25-2005, 10:29 AM
I just hug Duke. I'm not a touchy feely person and can't stand it when it's forced on me. I did hug my bro when he was at the airport, though. I don't mind them in situations like that but to do it every day, no.

lizbud
07-25-2005, 11:38 AM
I grew up in a family that always displayed affection. I don't
hug complete strangers (unless it's meeting PT people for the
first time):D but friends & family of course. It also feels right
to hug someone who is upset or sad about something. It's just
an automatic response to want to comfort that person.:)

finn's mom
07-25-2005, 12:15 PM
It's so funny, I don't hug strangers, but, everyone else, most definitely. But, for example, I spent almost two hours talking with this older guy at an art studio at the mall last Wednesday. It was so cool, by the time I left, we both agreed that we'd gone beyond a handshake. ;) We shook hands and it seemed so below us, ha ha. So, we hugged. And, it was completely all right, it wasn't anything but showing that we liked eachother. It's a very vulnerable position to put yourself in, and, for me, it has a lot to do with trust. This guy and I talked about so much, and, I felt very comfortable with him by the end of the two hours. It was completely plutonic, and, it totally made my day to meet him. I plan to go say hi again this week. :) And, if someone doesn't like hugs, they only have to tell me, and, I won't give them any. I don't like to give them if they're not appreciated or wanted.

Suki Wingy
07-25-2005, 01:22 PM
I am "sensory defensive", so no, I don't like hugs.

Edwina's Secretary
07-25-2005, 01:39 PM
It is something I have learned to do (and enjoy) but it did not come naturally. In my family it was "kiss but no hug..." so it seemed ackward to me at first....

Logan
07-25-2005, 02:02 PM
I definitely am a hugger, but usually to family and close friends (and internet friends, too). :) I think my husband and my daughter give the best hugs in the world. Next to them, it would be my dad!!!! :)

ramanth
07-25-2005, 02:24 PM
I love to hug everyone! But I realize that many are not huggers or not touchy/feely, so I'm often reserved unless I get a tell tale sign. :o :)

caseysmom
07-25-2005, 02:27 PM
I have learned to hug, its funny because my daughter and her friends all hug, I have gone to get her from school and it takes us an hour to get to the car because she has to hug everyone. I think its kind of cool.