PDA

View Full Version : Kitty's appetite

Former User
02-23-2002, 01:16 PM
Ever since her operation, (she was 'fixed' at the end of December) Kitty has a huge appetite! Before the operation, she hardly ever had any wet food anymore (we give them a bit of wet food in the morning and in the evening, during the day they have access to dry food all the time), but now, she even beats Casper when racing for the food dish :rolleyes: and doesn't let him push her away anymore like he did when they we're smaller. And she also begs for whatever we're eating, as if she's starving.

I hope this is normal? I guess she's just trying to catch her brother in size ;)

Gio
02-25-2002, 03:54 AM
Sorry I can't tell you if this normal, Maya has been like this since the first day I got her home :D. (to be fair on her she was found starving in a field). She is a very slow eater though. Her brother Foxy is even worse than her and he has not been fixed yet. He gulps his down, he then moves to Prema's bowl, pushes her out of the way and finally moves over to Maya's. :rolleyes: The two females when they eat keep glancing over their shoulder... Most of the time we end up keeping him occupied until the other two manage to have their food.

sasvermont
02-25-2002, 06:10 AM
My guess is that they (the cats) come to you "pre-wired" and they either love to eat or they can take it or leave it. Most of my cats in my life time, with the exception of one, were very, very food oriented. They would eat cookies out of a box or fruit from the dish etc. etc. They even ate bagels. The two cats I have now like to have wet food in addition to their prescription dry food, but since they have trouble with diarehea from time to time, I must be careful with what I feed them. When I picked them up from the breeder, she said that her cats usually stay thin and do not get fat even when they are older, thus I assume they inherit their appetites! I do believe that sometimes it ends up being "competitive eating" for fear of being left without food. Remember, cats train us. Once you start giving in, they will be in control. I think you should practice a little "No" when you find them begging etc. if it bothers you. I have been so guilty of over feeding my cats in the past, that I pledged to myself that this time I would not over-feed them, I WOULD clip their nails and brush their teeth - in an effort to keep them healthy. Over weight cats often run into trouble as they get older, so containing their appetites/FOOD INTAKE is important. I just love your cats, Casper and Kitty, and think they are great subjects for your photos. I use one as my "wallpaper" .. the one of kitty in the washer!

;) :D :o

Former User
02-25-2002, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by sasvermont
I just love your cats, Casper and Kitty, and think they are great subjects for your photos. I use one as my "wallpaper" .. the one of kitty in the washer!
;) :D :o

Awww, that's nice!!! Kitty feels so proud now :) :) :) :) :)