PDA

View Full Version : Wanna see what I did?

catnapper
07-23-2005, 10:31 PM
The art gallery in town is having an exhibition of local amateur artists. Its only $5 to enter a small framed piece. Well, I figure I can afford that! :D :D

I THOUGHT the deadline to submit artwork was today. I spent all week working every spare minute on this portrait of Minette. Only to find this afternoon that there was a typo on the submission form, and the submission is NEXT Saturday. Oops. Good for me because I got a chance to finish it.

This is the reference photo
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Skilesg/orettyeyes.jpg

This is where I was this morning. I knew it wasn't "Complete" but it had to do since I ran out of time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Skilesg/MinetteWIP4.jpg

This was the result of an additional 6 hours work all night
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Skilesg/MinetteWIP7.jpg

Can you see the difference between the two pictures? Was the additional 6 hours worth it, or am I being too much of a perfectionist?

I am OBSESSED with making it perfect. I will tweek a bit in the morning (I don't like the purply color by her whiskers.... also want to add more oomph to the eyes). I want to do at least one more to enter as an unframed artwork. I can enter one framed, and two or three unframed pieces. Will I sell anything? Highly doubt it, but it'd really make me feel good if I did! ;)

DogLover9501
07-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Gorgeous, as always!

Good luck! I would definatly buy your art :D

luvofallhorses
07-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Very nice! :)

micki76
07-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Yes, I can tell the difference. I think the extra 6 hours shows. :)

Very nice work!

flamepony12
07-23-2005, 10:53 PM
That is AMAZING. :D *saves it*

NoahsMommy
07-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Kim....its WONDERFUL!!

I can totally tell you spent all that time on the second one! GREAT job!!!

:)

Almita
07-24-2005, 12:15 AM
Wow:eek: You did a great job! I wish you good luck!

krazyaboutkatz
07-24-2005, 01:12 AM
Kim, It's gorgeous!:D I can easily tell the difference between the 2 pictures. I hope you'll sell some of them. Good luck.:)

gemini9961
07-24-2005, 01:25 AM
Great job. :D

Barbara
07-24-2005, 05:09 AM
I think there is more depth and third dimension after you added the 6 hrs work:D

I will never know though how you know what you have to add to get to that result- it's a first class miracle for me:D

jenluckenbach
07-24-2005, 05:28 AM
Yes, the extra work shows (although, if we did not see the extra work, the piece would have been wonderful) And the eyes are PURR-fect! Don't change a thing.

So, how are you going to find the time to draw yet another to display???

anna_66
07-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Kim I never knew you drew, you have a great talent there!
I think it looks absolutely perfect!!!

I know it's something I'd buy:)

King Spartacus
07-24-2005, 08:20 AM
It absolutely wonderful!!! Good luck at the exhibition! I've just bought myself a HUGE canvas, and was wondering if I'd be able to paint Spartacus (only ever done scretches of cats, never painted one)... but I now know I'd NEVER get it as good as your drawing - so landscape piccie it is!!! :D

Sylvie, KS' mom

dukedogsmom
07-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Amazing! It looks better than the photo. I can't believe your talent.

Cataholic
07-24-2005, 08:59 AM
I am amazed. I would buy your work, seriously.

I can see a difference in the two pics. I can't tell you exactly what the difference is, but, it is there. Maybe the second photo (after the all night energy) is 'crisper'? Both are fantastic. Just fantastic.

QueenScoopalot
07-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Ummmm Kim? :confused: Me thinks you've bypassed the amatuer status! ;) Splendid drawing, and it's easy to see the difference in the first portrait, and the final cut. ;) Blue ribbon winner that I hope brings in some $$$$$$ for you. :D

Daisy and Delilah
07-24-2005, 09:11 AM
What an incredible talent!! You have an eye that is unequaled. If you're not working professionally I'm shocked. Your drawing is unbelievable!!

Terry

catnapper
07-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
Ummmm Kim? :confused: Me thinks you've bypassed the amatuer status! ;)
Awww, shucks. :o I have lots to learn and try new things with each drawing. This one still needs a little work. Will post it tonight or tomorrow once I get it done.

Originally posted by Cataholic
I can see a difference in the two pics. I can't tell you exactly what the difference is, but, it is there. Maybe the second photo (after the all night energy) is 'crisper'? Both are fantastic. Just fantastic.
Ah, want the secret? I added about 8 additional layers of little itty bitty hair sized strokes, and the final layer was GREEN in the darkest shadow areas! :D There's no black, except to outline her eyes, instead all shadows were made using layers upon layers of Black Grape (the color's official name... kinda like it, sounds yummy!) :D Indigo Blue and Peacock Green. Who'd have known such pretty colors would make such nice shadows? I have all sorts of unexpected colors layered throughout the drawing.

I've had a lot of fun doing this one because I am trying some new techniques I learned recently. Off to the store to buy a certain paper someone told me about that will make things looks even smoother and more refined. Looked at the price of it online.... all I can say is :eek: :eek: :eek:

Question for the masses: I have NO idea what to price this as. The gallery takes 35% (which is about average) and I have at least 20 hours of work into it already. I want to get paid what my time is worth, but I also want to price it so that people will not think I'm nuts. The price will also include a double mat (acid free of course) and a frame. What would be a fair price? I need a price that is fair to everyone involved. Also, I don't want it too low, because I want someone who REALLY wants it to buy it. I want it to be something they HAVE to have... if you know what I mean. I can't price it for the average poor person because I spent way too much time, energy, and money on supplies to price it for the casual viewer. Does that sound snobby? I don't mean it to.

Ally Cat's Mommy
07-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Kim, I have no idea re pricing, as I am totally out of touch with how much things cost in the USA, but DONT SELL YOURSELF SHORT!! You are so talented, and you must factor in your time and materials, plus make sure the picture goes to someone who really appreciates it!

Have you thought about doing this on eBay to earn extra $? There is a lady there who does watercolour portraits from photos and her average price is around $75, but her pictures don't look anything as detailed as yours. She also offe4rs re-prints, notelets etc with her work on them. It could be a great income for you, and the nice thing is that you receive payment in advance.

You are SO skilled!! Beautiful picture!

furrykidsmother
07-24-2005, 12:13 PM
That is terrific! I think the first one was great, but you can seem your additional hours in the second drawing. You do such wonderful work! I am not sure about pricing either. We have a friend who set up some of her photography pictures (mostly underwater) at a Gallery last year. I can't remember exactly, but I think depending on size they started at, at least $100.00 - $150.00 and went up from there. Do you have time to pop into an Art Gallery anytime between now and the showing to get some pricing ideas? The very best of luck to you! Please let us know how it goes.

chocolatepuppy
07-24-2005, 01:14 PM
That's great! You're very talented! :D

popcornbird
07-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Wow! That is AMAZING!!!!!!!! Looks sooo realistic! I do believe people would LOVE to buy your artwork.

jenluckenbach
07-24-2005, 05:26 PM
The price mught vary depending on the frame used, but honestly.......$225

catnapper
07-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Thanks Jen - thats much more than I ever thought to dare ask! I'll check out the gallery on Tuesday (they are closed Mondays) and see what type of pricing is already there.

Ok, this is IT. I've added as much color as I think I can add without starting to muddy things up. Does it look any different?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Skilesg/MinetteWIP8.jpg

RobiLee
07-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
Thanks Jen - thats much more than I ever thought to dare ask! I'll check out the gallery on Tuesday (they are closed Mondays) and see what type of pricing is already there.

Ok, this is IT. I've added as much color as I think I can add without starting to muddy things up. Does it look any different?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Skilesg/MinetteWIP8.jpg

WOW!! I think it is wonderful! I was fascinated by the all the different colors that you used. That is amazing.

DJFyrewolf36
07-25-2005, 01:17 AM
That is one awesome piece of artwork!!! You are very talented indeed! :D

I've seen art half that good go for quite a bit of money. Tell us how things go!!

Oggyflute
07-25-2005, 01:18 AM
It looks terrific Kim, I'd say the extra hours paid off.:)

wolfsoul
07-25-2005, 01:55 AM
That's really beautiful. :) You're very talented, good job.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-25-2005, 03:09 AM
WOW, that takes my breath away!!
I hope you sell some, this is REAL art!!!

sirrahbed
07-25-2005, 06:20 AM
I promise I am NOT catnapper's public relations person but I *am* a fan! Take a look here (http://) and see if you can find two pictures from the Sirrah family;) Hint: animals and children.

Kim - The extra work was absolutely worth it as the final pictures makes me want to [et the beautiful cat through the monitor! The nose and eyes...so purrfect - the fur...so soft! I want to kiss the slightly wet and cool nose!:D

RobiLee
07-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
I promise I am NOT catnapper's public relations person but I *am* a fan! Take a look here (http://) and see if you can find two pictures from the Sirrah family;) Hint: animals and children.

Kim - The extra work was absolutely worth it as the final pictures makes me want to [et the beautiful cat through the monitor! The nose and eyes...so purrfect - the fur...so soft! I want to kiss the slightly wet and cool nose!:D

Hey Debbie, I'm not for sure if it is me but your HERE link is not working. Can you try again...I wanna seeeee...Waaaaa!;)