PDA

View Full Version : Our neighbour put out cat traps!

CagneyDog
07-22-2005, 05:24 PM
A new family recently moved into our neighbourhood and they have a cute little cat. This cat kills everything in sight, he has killed so many bird and it is really getting out of hand. My neighbour put out a bunch of humane cat traps. Once he traps the cat it is going to the Humane Society. He feels he needs to teach the owners a lesson. This cat is out side 24/7. I doesn't even have a collar. The only reason I know it lives there is because I occasionally see the little kids picking it up and carrying it around. They don't feed it or anything. Everyone in the neighbourhood has tried to talk to the family but they really don't give a hoot.

I know it's not the cats fault, it is just trying to get food because it's "family" doesn't feed it, but as much as I like cats, I hate watching it kill all of these beautiful birds.

I'm not sure if I agree with the traps but I do think it should go to the humane society and if the owners don't care enough to pick it up then it should go to a new home anyways..

Anyways, my question is do you think my neighbour is doing the right thing?

catmandu
07-22-2005, 05:43 PM
I THINK SO,AS THAT POOR CAT,NEEDS A HOME,WHERE HE,IS GOING,TO BE FED,AND HAVE HIS NNEEDLES,NOT ROAMING AROUND THE NEIGHBOR HOOD,HALF STARVED,WHERE,HE IS IN CONTINOUS DANGER.
THOSE GOOFS,DO NOT RESERVE,TO HAVE A PET,THAT THEY ARE NOT PREPARED,TO TAKE PROPER CARE ,OF.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture575.jpg

catnapper
07-22-2005, 06:06 PM
I think so, but rather than the Humane Society, how about a no-kill shelter? The cat deserves a chacne to live a good healthy life with food at regular intervals. The HS just may put it down. The HS around here is so desperately overcrowded with adult cats that they are offering free adult cats to anyone for an unspecified amount of time.

kittycats_delight
07-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Is your local humane society no-kill? If no then I think you need to ask your neighbor how has set the traps to find a no-kill shelter. Like you said it's not the cats fault and she deserves a good life. If you local humane society is a kill shelter she may not get her chance at one. The owner will have learned nothing I am sure and the cat will be gone. Please, find out if your neighbor can get the kitty to a no-kill shelter.

momcat
07-22-2005, 08:29 PM
How terribly sad to hear about this poor kitty and those totally indifferent (and am I out of line to say irresponsible) owners! Is there a rescue group available to help get the kitty to a no-kill shelter? If you can please let us know what happens?

Laura's Babies
07-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Pet owners like those will just get another one when that one is gone... If it bothers you to see it kill birds and things, why not put food out for it yourself? That is what I would do and if all the neighbors fed it, it would be a fat happy cat. Cat food is not expensive and this poor baby could have a somewhat decent life. The shelter I helped out at would put all the ones brought in, in a trap to sleep.. Having helped at a kill shelter, I would NEVER do that to one of them and I advise anyone to do the same!

furrykidsmother
07-23-2005, 03:00 PM
I don't know what to say except poor kitty! He/she deserves to have love and food! I am not sure about the trap, as others have said the HS may put it to sleep and that would be terrible. Yes, if the cat turns up missing they will get another and probably do the same thing. What terrible people! They don't deserve to have animals!!:mad:

LaRana
07-25-2005, 11:12 AM
The cat is killing "everything in sight, he has killed so many bird and it is really getting out of hand" because he's not being fed properly. He's having to forage for his own food. Obviously the cat isn't being taken care of, & as you said the owners "don't give a hoot". They've been given a chance by being talked to & since they still don't give a hoot, then maybe this little guy can go to a family that will give him a hoot & a then some & a much better life. All the nicety steps have been followed, & it's time for action. But I do agree that maybe taking the little guy to a no-kill shelter - or even if you know someone willing to adopt him right out might be best.

Denyce
07-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Actually the theory that the cat is killing because it is hungry is not necessarily true. Cats are natural born killers/hunters. Some have the instinct more than others. I have 5 cats. Deirdre is my Mighty Huntress. Trust me, my cats are always well fed, however Deirdre doesn't hesitate to take down whatever prey she can get her claws on. In fact a well fed cat hunts much better than a hungry one. Their reflexes are better because they are not weak from hunger. Now I am not saying that this cat doesn't need some more assistance in the food department I am just trying to dispel a myth about cats.

For me...I love and appreciate all animals and their instincts, including being very proud of my Deirdre when she has prey in her mouth. That doesn't mean I don't try to save the chipmunks when they are still alive but I certainly would never look down upon a cat or not like it because it is a Mighty Hunter. That is what they are.

Denyce

K & L
07-26-2005, 11:07 AM
The cat is doing what comes naturally. Sorry I don't agree with this.