PDA

View Full Version : God, I hope I did the right thing.

Don Juan's mom
07-22-2005, 04:52 PM
A few hours ago, a man from the building next door knocked on my door. He had a CUTE CUTE CUTE kitten, white with tabby patches. There were a couple of kids with him, and they asked if the kitten was mine.

There's a small cabinet in back of my building, discarded by tenants who moved. The man told me they had found the kitten shut inside the cabinet with some food and a bowl of milk (which had already gone bad in the heat). They'd heard it meowing.

And the kitten is so cute and sweet. A little boy. Apparently belongs to someone, as he had a nice collar, but no legible information on the tag. He purred mightily when I held him. But my apartment is small, and two cats is the absolute limit. But I told the kids that I would take the kitten if their mom said they couldn't keep it.

Word from Mom was that the kids could have the kitten. She just didn't want them taking it if it was mine. The little fellow is going to a house with several animals, including a dog :) , a hamster :eek: and two birds. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I gave the kids a small litter box I'm not using and a container of litter, just to get them started on the right paw.

Just a few minutes ago, I saw two other kids from the block go to the cabinet, then walk back looking a little sad and confused. I'm wondering if they found the kitten, put it in the cabinet for safekeeping and came back for it.

I like to think I let that kitten go to a loving home. But I sure hope I did the right thing.

Liz :confused:

catmandu
07-22-2005, 05:03 PM
I THINK,THAT YOU CERTAINLY DID THE RIGHT THING,AS THAT KITTEN,COULD SUFFOCATE,IF HE HAD BEEN LEFT,IN THAT CABINET,IF THE HEAT,IS ENOUGH,TO CURDLE MILK.
AT LEAST,THERE IS A FAMILY,THAT WANTS HIM,AND WAS CONSIDERATE ENOUGH,TO CHECK AROUND,TO SEE IF HE,IS SOMEONES CAT.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/FoundCatFollies104.jpg

jenluckenbach
07-22-2005, 05:07 PM
As long as the family that has the kitten now is a loving responsible family, I would say you did the perfect thing. Who on earth could know that someone might come back for a kitten in a cabinet. And any way, if that is how those children are taught to care for their pets, I don't think they are learning and this might be a lesson. If that second set of children are interested in findaing that kitten, they can certainly ask around, right?

King Spartacus
07-22-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm sure you did... those people sound caring and loving, and they saved the little one from a horrible death.

QueenScoopalot
07-22-2005, 06:51 PM
I'd wonder if the second set of kids who came along and looked in the cabinet, stole the kitten from someone?:confused: Granted a kitten should not be outside alone, even with a collar, someone may be missing the kitten. That's what popped into my head anyway. I think I would have put a "Found" ad in the paper with a vague description..not putting a complete description in, and have it say "rightful owner ID other details".

momcat
07-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Considering how bad the heat has been everywhere, there's no question that you did the right thing. Putting that poor baby in a closed cabinet and leaving bad milk in there is pretty cruel. Thank God those kids heard him and brought him to you for help. In my mind, this baby is better off where he is now. But somehow I have to agree with QueenScoopalot, someone may be missing their baby.

furrykidsmother
07-23-2005, 03:08 PM
I would say based on the information you had, you did the right thing. What else could you do? I do hope that the other kids didn't steal the kitten from someone though, that would be terrible. However, if the first children hadn't found it and been willing to keep it, it might have died in that closed in space without any air and bad milk. Then noone would have that precious little boy. At least now he has a loving home.

janelle
07-23-2005, 03:50 PM
The first kids may have found it and was keeping it until they could go home and ask permission from their parents to keep it. They came back but not too good a decision to but it in a hot cabinet.

I think the kitty is in better hands now with the other family. The adults were with the kids to supervise them and the kitty will be treated better.

krazyaboutkatz
07-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Yes, I think that you did the right thing because now the kitten is out of danger and in a good home.:)

Barbara
07-24-2005, 04:57 AM
It could also have been the other way round. The kids went back with the kitten and met some other kids. They hoped there would be another kitten in the place and went to look.

Anyway that family sounds sweet- and so we hope little kitty will be fine- that's all that counts.:)

Randi
07-24-2005, 05:08 AM
I think you did the right thing. :) Leaving the kitten in the heat would have been horrible. Why would an owner leave the kitten like that anyway.

Hope the kitten will be happy with the new family! :)