PDA

View Full Version : I know I've done the right thing...so why do I feel uneasy about it!

Jennsen
07-22-2005, 11:04 AM
This is about my neighbor and the way she treats her 4 children. Their ages are between 8yrs and 8mo.
I have had to keep my windows closed all summer, so I wont hear her constantly screaming and swearing at them. She has a very deep raspy voice and she screams the worst things at them that I could never repeat! I witnessed her hitting them, grabbing them by their arms and throwing them into chairs(outside)yanking and dragging them by their hair, and chasing them around while they cry in terror...not to mention what she does when she catches them. I have said a few things to her, and she will stop for a few hours, but then it seems to get worse, or I wont see one of the children for a day or two.
The husband drives a semi and is gone most of the time, but when he drives up to their house, they all come out running to him. He seems to be a good man, and talks to them, never screaming like she does, but never stops her either.
Last night while I was at work around 5:30pm, my daughter(who's 15yrs old) heard the little 3yr old girl(Emma) crying and begging for help outside their front door for over half an hour. She finally went over to see if she was OK, and asked her where her parents were. She said they were sleeping and she couldnt get inside. My daughter opened the door for her and gagged at the smell coming from inside the house. She let her in and ran for home...because she was scared this lady would scream at her too! Then she called me at work to see if she had done the right thing. I told her yes, but make sure the little girl wasnt alone.
This morning I called the Child Welfare and Abuse department and reported this situation....and they are over there right now.
I really feel uneasy about all this and do not wish to cause trouble with my neighbors, but something has to be done for these poor children! I just wish people, parents, pet owners(I'm feeding a little stray outside my door right this moment) could be more responsible, caring, mature, and not think this behavior is OK just because they're feeling no pain, or fear, or hurt feelings, or hunger! Sorry to vent like this, and the length this has become.

Karen
07-22-2005, 11:07 AM
You absolutely did the right thing. You are to be commended. And even if the neighbor is mad at first, her children will one day thank you for any amelioration of their current conditions.

King Spartacus
07-22-2005, 11:12 AM
You did the right thing! Well done you, for standing up for those who can (or aren't old enough) themselves!

JenBKR
07-22-2005, 11:15 AM
You did the right thing, although I know how hard it was for you. Feel good about yourself, you may have saved those kids when so many others may have turned their backs. Have you ever heard the song "Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride? You should listen to it, you'll feel better about your decision.

Jadapit
07-22-2005, 11:20 AM
You did the right thing!! We as adults have to be the voice's for the children sometimes. No child deserves to live or to be treated like that.:(

luvofallhorses
07-22-2005, 11:30 AM
You absoulutely did the right thing! Don't feel bad about it, those children will be better off because of you. ((hugs))

mruffruff
07-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Hooray for you!

You definitely did the right thing. More people should be willing to do the same.

Give yourself a pat on the back and sleep well tonight.

grybai
07-22-2005, 11:35 AM
As everyone else said, you did the right thing. The situation with your neighbors sounds horrible and hopefully something will be done to improve the lives of those kids.

lizbud
07-22-2005, 11:40 AM
You certainly did the right thing & good for you for doing it.
This woman needs help even if she doesn't admit it or know it
herself. You contacted the right people to help her & the children.
Too many people want to hold back & not become involved, but
it might save a life if we did. Thank you for stepping up to help.

Jennsen
07-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Thank you all so much for your support! The Child Welfare Dept. just left their house about 15 minutes ago, and now she's screaming over towards my house and slamming doors....
I now have my cam-corder turned on and recording everything she does! It really sad that I've had to resort to doing this...all she has to do is be a loving caring parent, and a respectable neighbor! I find myself driving through other neighborhoods and thinking how lucky those people are that these people didnt chose a house near them! I'm sure things will settle down here, but I'm bracing myself for the worst!
Thank you again, your thoughts mean the world to me!

Jenn

robinh
07-22-2005, 11:48 AM
You did the right thing. {{hugs}} You are a caring person who made a very difficult decision.

Just be careful and keep that camera on. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

ramanth
07-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Good for you! I know how scary it is to get involved, but you did the right thing.

And it's obvious you are thinking ahead by video taping.

Be safe! *HUGS*

Glacier
07-22-2005, 12:52 PM
I used to be a child protection social worker. Without people like you, who are brave enough and care enough to call in concerns, the system wouldn't work at all. It's not great the way it is, but so many more kids would live in terrible situations if concerns weren't reported.

Your identity is protected legally. The social worker can not reveal who reported the concerns. Even if the case ends up in court, your name can't be revealed.

You did the right thing. The system is slow sometimes. If you see anything else that worries you, call again. They can not have too much information. Every report helps them build a case and understand what is happening in the family, help the kids and hopefully change the parents behavior.

catnapper
07-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Great job! someday those kids will have you to thank for gettign them the help they themselves weren't able to get. Please let us know what happens

Christiansmommy
07-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Wow, those poor poor children. My heart goes out to them. How sad to grow up in a house like that. Good for you, for stepping in!! I agree, keep calling if it continues. The video taping is a good idea as well. I hope the mother wakes up and realizes what she is doing and gets help...or those 4 kids may end up getting seperated into seperate foster homes...I will keep those kids in my prayers.

Daisy and Delilah
07-22-2005, 01:52 PM
As everyone has already said; you did the right thing. Did they take the kids? It makes me sick to think what could have happened if you hadn't stepped in. Enough has happened already and somebody had to stop it. Great job!! Bless those poor little children who have been prisoners in that house. We need more people like you in the world.

Terry

Muddy4paws
07-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Definatly done the right thing, that lady doesnt deserve the children if shes to treat them like that, They will have to to thank in the long run.

Jennsen
07-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Well...it's been really quiet over there all afternoon. I thought they were home, but she just now pulled up in a very run down old van(I've never seen her drive, they walk everywhere rain or shine. Not to get off the subject here, but my nice neighbors offered to buy her a car last month and she very rudely refussed) She and all 4 kids just piled out of the van, all 4 were bawling, and she was behind them screaming to hurry up the stairs(there are 12 very steep wooden stairs to their front door).
I must say I'm quite disappointed that she still has little Emma(the one locked outside), but now that I've made the first step as to calling her in, I will not let her continue this abuse...I'm going to call DHS until they do something there!
Thank you for all your replies! For everyone I read, I feel better about what I've done, and I feel stronger to continue until they're safe!

Jenn

Jennsen
07-22-2005, 06:47 PM
P.S. I just found out they had a 3 month old baby die a year ago. They said it was from a high fever and the doctors in Alabama, where they are from didnt treat him correctly. Hmmmmmmm.....makes you wonder what really happened:( Last I heard doctors in Alabama had to pass the same medical exams and take the same kind of college medical studies as any other doctor:confused:

Glacier
07-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Jennsen

I must say I'm quite disappointed that she still has little Emma(the one locked outside),Jenn

It takes an extraordinary amount of evidence to remove a child from their home. If Emma denied it or didn't give details, they wouldn't have had enough to remove her. Child protection laws are written, in most places, to keep kids with their families as much as possible. It takes tons of solid evidence and court appearances to remove a child--even in a life or death situation a social worker has to appear in front of a judge to get a warrant to remove a child. (can be done by phone in a dire emergency)
Keep calling if you see anything else. Every little bit will help those kids in the long run.

jenluckenbach
07-22-2005, 08:23 PM
What an utterly disgusting example of the human race. :mad:

You did the best thing possible. Keep track of all evidence you see or hear. Don't give up! Those kids need you!

Pam
07-22-2005, 09:29 PM
You absolutely did the right thing. Now let's hope no one *drops the ball* on these kids. I was just reading tonight in my local paper about a woman who was abusing her stepchild. It started out with her putting her outside in the rain without the proper clothes on and escalated. The child was eventually sent to live with her natural mother, in another state, and then returned to her father and this horrid woman. How incredibly awful is that!! :mad: She eventually killed the little girl (4 years old). I don't even want to tell you how the little girl died. Please try and stay on top of this situation. You may save a life. Thank you for caring.

Oggyflute
07-22-2005, 09:41 PM
The bottom line is, is that those kids are being abused, so you did good Jenn.

king2005
07-22-2005, 11:59 PM
I tried to read all the posts, so I hope I'm not repeating something.

If u want to get those kids out keep lots of tape for that cam corder around & keep it pluged in with an extention cord..
Everytime u see her yelling or harming the children, record it. If the little girl is outside, take the came corder over to her & ask her whats wrong & where r ur parents & so on..

Thats hard evidence. Just remember to keep the date & time stamp up to date & mark each tape for day & time.

Also if u can, make copies of the tapes. I don't trust anyone & it would be terrible if the tapes went missing or broke.

If she says anything to u, record it & call the cops right away. Give them ur tape & show them the other tapes. Cops don't like child abuse & should help u out by keeping evidence & a record of all the terrible stuff going on over there.

finn's mom
07-23-2005, 06:49 AM
Good for you. Keep a journal, too, of everything she does, that you don't catch on your camcorder. Just protect yourself, too, and, your family and property. Good luck, I think you are doing the right thing.