PDA

View Full Version : Is it easier to train dogd than cats?

jtj0026
02-22-2002, 08:00 PM
My 10-year-old son needs to complete a research title named "Is it easier to train dogs than cats?" We tried to collect information from library books but couldn't find much information comparing dogs vs. cats. Can you pets lovers/experts help?

Is it really easier to train dogs than cats? Why?

How do you train a dog and how do you train a cat? What are the differences?

Why dogs respond to human commands while cats don't care?

Thank you in advance.

John:confused:

aly
02-23-2002, 01:02 AM
This is a really interesting topic and I will be looking forward to reading some of the responses.

I have trained both my dogs and my cat. I am going to have to say it is easier to train dogs but it was not hard to train my cat. I taught my cat to sit on command the exact same way I taught my dogs. When teaching other commands, I sometimes had to get a little more creative.

I believe dogs are more people oriented and eager to please than cats. I think thats why they are easier to train but I could be(and probably am) totally off base.

MichelleN
02-23-2002, 02:18 AM
As far as I know (which isn't much, no expert!!), dogs are easier to train because they are used to living in packs and respond to an alpha figure (leader of the pack). Cats on the other hand, don't have a pack and live on their own or in small packs (like mother and daughter). Also, I know my cats could probably fend for themselves a lot easier than my dogs, so they also don't NEED to listen as well!!

Good luck with the assignment, have you searched internet as well, google always works well for me?

Pam
02-23-2002, 07:01 AM
I have both and although my cats probably know what I want them to do they really don't care about what I want them to do. :rolleyes: I did go to a cat show once and the cat that does the Friskies commercials was there and performed for us. That cat did every trick you could think of. I had to keep reminding myself I was watching a cat instead of a dog. I think these instances are extremely rare though! I think a dog is driven by a desire to please their humans and responds well to the praise that goes hand in hand with the training. Cats don't feel the need to please anyone I'm afraid and aren't impressed with praise. :rolleyes:

Bunnicula05
02-23-2002, 09:22 AM
i don't know....i've never tried to train my cat.