PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here with deployed loved ones?

sirrahbed
07-22-2005, 01:52 AM
My daughter Missy (sirrahsim) just learned that she is about to be a "waiting wife" beginning September and I wondered if any of you are in this situation too? I was thinking it might be good to have a thread about it so folks can support each other. Missy will face some tough times here since she is in Japan and has her new son. We are trying to get her home with family but it will still be long and hard.

Anyone else?? Her mom is sad too and Missy's hubby's mom is very worried. She is Carol (persianmom) who post here. We both could use this thread I am thinking.

GraciesMommy
07-22-2005, 07:35 AM
I have a step son in the Navy who just left for his second tour..this time to Egypt..he will be there 4 months and then on to Iraq for undetermined amount of time at this point..
He has a wife and 2 babies..

I think this is a very nice thread....and we should all remember our troops daily~~

furrykidsmother
07-22-2005, 08:08 AM
I don't have anyone close to me in the service, but I think it would be a great idea to continue this thread and support everyone that does.

GraciesMommy is right, we should all remember our troops daily and all that they do for us.

persianmom
07-22-2005, 08:14 AM
Thanks Deb for starting this thread. Yes I'm very worried. I can't tell any of you how many tears I've cried alread worring about Paul's safey and Missy loniness. Missy is a very strong young woman and will get though this. She has Two great parents and me to help.
Love you
Carol

RobiLee
07-22-2005, 08:29 AM
I will say a prayer for Missy and her husband. I always wonder how people deal with this. I can't even imagine my husband or son being gone like that. It has to be a very scary and lonely time.

Be strong, Ladies! Come and visit PT for lots of support!

{{Lots of hugs}}

christa
07-22-2005, 08:59 AM
My cousin, Steve, is in Iraq right now. We were hoping that he'd be home by now . . . He writes us quite a bit.

One thing I just love . . . his wife makes a monthly newsletter that she sends out to all of the family, with excerpts from his emails & letters to her (I'm sure they talk to each other a lot more than anyone else!) . . . and she also includes pictures & maps of where he is located. It's really been great to share with everyone. Keeps everyone connected to him and helps us to remember every second of the day what our troops are doing for our country! It's something to consider. :)

Hang in there Missy! I can't imagine how hard this is for you being a new momma!!! That breaks my heart for you!

Deb, this thread is a great idea! I hope we can continue to share news & stories from our loved ones from the war.

This is my cousin, Steve:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/christa_law/SteveinIraq.jpg

ramanth
07-22-2005, 09:24 AM
I have a couple of cousins in the service but do not know where they are stationed. Last I knew, Randy was in San Diego with his new wife and baby, but he may have since shipped out.

He's in the Navy, the other is in the Marines I believe.

lizbud
07-22-2005, 10:44 AM
I was just wondering about Doggiesare the best. Souraya's
husband Andrew is in Irag now, Has anyone seen her post
lately. I miss hereing from her & pictures of handsome Drake.

katienoonan
07-22-2005, 11:15 AM
My husband is in Iraq right now and I am awaiting his safe return.

sirrahbed
07-22-2005, 12:13 PM
Oh it is so good to have this thread! I am thankful that it will help the families still waiting and I feel better already reading here. Thank you for posting and anyone who comes here and needs it.

Christa - neat that you could post Steve's picture. We do not know exactly where Paul is going yet. He leaves the first week of September.

katienoonan - how long has your husband been gone? Are you staying where you are stationed or home with family? Are you able to e-mail contact??? I hope you "meet" my daughter Missy here soon:)

I know we all need to keep the military in prayers everyday and also the ones still at home waiting. Thanks you to all of you who are supporting this!!

Something good! We got Missy and Tyler's ticket today and she gets to fly home with Carol!! Carol will get a few days with Paul, too:) She already had this trip planned and leave from work but of course that plan was to do things with everyone but she decided to go anyway:) This makes me soooo relieved that Missy will not make that long trip alone with Tyler!! And maybe, just maybe when Paul's remote is over - he plans to take his leave here in the states and can maybe fly HOME with Missy, too! That would be a great and happy day for them. Continental got me a ticket that Missy can change without a fee! Tyler even has his own "ticket" even though he will be in Missy and Grammy's lap.

We live near a base because we are also retired military and I hope to find a support group Missy can join while she is hear - to be with other wives, moms etc - who have their loved one away at the war.

One more thing for all of you who read the thread - the names in my family get complicated and here is why:
I am mom to Missy(sirrahsim) and two sons - the oldest is Bryan
Carol (persianmom) is mom to Paul and Christine (chrangharris)
Christine is married to my Bryan and my Missy is married to Paul

So brother and sister married brother and sister see? Carol and I now have the two granbabies - Paul & Missy's TYLER and Bryan and Christine's MISHA:D Got it so far?

My other son is Jason and he is married to Devon (sirrahved) who also is a PetTalker. Are you confused enough? That is why all the "sirrah" names here:eek: :confused: :p

Kfamr
07-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
I was just wondering about Doggiesare the best. Souraya's
husband Andrew is in Irag now, Has anyone seen her post
lately. I miss hereing from her & pictures of handsome Drake.

Liz, this is the last thread i've seen from Souraya...
http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=79648

sirrahbed
07-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Liz, this is the last thread i've seen from Souraya...
http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=79648
Thank you for looking that up Kay. I do not know Souraya but I e-mailed and PM'd this link to her and maybe she will post here, too. :)

GoldenRetrLuver
07-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Yep.. we have a very close family friend who is The Marines and is currently in Iraq.

I'm writing him a letter, along with sending him another box of "goodies" that he likes (tuna, gummy bears, sunflower seeds, kool-aid mix, and some others).

We exchange emails as often as time permits him to do so.

I'm really worried about him, but I know he's going to be fine.. I can't wait until he'll be able to come home.

jennifert9
07-22-2005, 02:52 PM
I have spoken to Souraya and she is doing well! She is in Georgia with her brother and going to school. I looked for her last email to me so I could post an update in her words but apparently AOL took it upon themselves to delete it already!!

Anyway, her mom is visiting right now and I believe they are all going to a family reunion this month. Drake is with her and doing well, even getting along with her mother's dog Ripley!
She had some trouble at her house with flooding after Dennis came through but she is getting it all fixed up thanks to insurance.
Andrew is still in Iraq but I believe she said he would be home for a visit in September? I'm not sure if I have the month right...

So yes, please keep her and Andrew in your prayers! I'm sure she will post once she gets some time!

DJFyrewolf36
07-22-2005, 03:26 PM
My brother is in the Army Special Forces and is right now deployed. We don't have any contact with him while he is away due to the secret nature of his job. He has a wife with one daughter and a son on the way.

I pray every day for his safety. He has already been wounded once in Afganistan.

Sirrahsim
07-22-2005, 03:38 PM
thank you Mom for starting this thread. I may not post a lot, but I am certainly here lurking and reading a bit each day. I am so glad that I will get to go to my other home while Paul is gone. Four months is long enough, I can't imagine a whole YEAR in the desert...
I plan on sending Paul boxes as often as possible. Are shipping rates horrible? I'm always making cookies for the people he works with so I'll have to keep that up for him to share with the guys in his tent? dorm? whatever he lives in:)
I knew that him being sent away was a possibility when I married him. I've been a military brat all my life, so I know the drill.
At least the deployment is now when Tyler is too young to remember it. WE will remember it, but he won't have to deal with the stress of not having daddy around. I know my family, Tyler will be spoiled ROTTEN when I'm in the states and as long as I don't stress to much he won't know anything is wrong.
Thank you for everyone's support

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Missy, I am sorry to hear about Paul deploying. This our second time around to the same place and it doesn't get easier. But we talk on the phone almost evey other day and they can email daily as well. It is a good thing that you are coming home to be with family. I spent the first half of Andrew's first deployment alone and it almost killed me. So, I went home to stay with my parents as well. This time around, I left Germany all together and had my brothers move in with me.

I do not have much advise to give you other than try to do something you like when he is gone. Keep busy so that you don't have time to mope and be depressed. Nothing can make the worry and loneliness and missing him go away, but staying busy with something will keep you occupied and make it easier on Paul. The last thing they want is to be sad because your life has been put on hold because of their tour.

I am back at school for my culinary degree and I love it. The nights are the worst and I still cry daily. Hold on to all the wonderful memories you have made together and look forward to the ones that you will have when he returns safely to you.

Andrew will be back in December on R&R. I can hardley wait!!

Just thought of something, when you send packages, be sure you send them MPS (Military Postal Service). It is cheaper and will arrive the same time if you sent it any other way. If you ever need to talk to anyone or have any questions, PM or email.

I have been terribly busy here. With class and a house full of guests: Mom, grandparents, and best friend that was here for 10 days when she returned from Tokyo, I hardley have time to do anything. And then the basement flooded!

Drake and I are doing well. Drake is a bit lathergic these past few days since Ripley left. He will be back in 2 weeks and hopefully, Drake will perk up in a few days. I plan on taking him hiking tomorrow on the Applachian Trail, Maybe that will cheer him.

Hope eveyone is doing well.

katienoonan
07-22-2005, 05:26 PM
[i]

katienoonan - how long has your husband been gone? Are you staying where you are stationed or home with family? Are you able to e-mail contact??? I hope you "meet" my daughter Missy here soon:)
[/B]

My husband has been gone since last december and he will be home for R&R in September and will hopefully be home for good in December. I am at home and not on base because he is in the National Guard. I am able to talk to him a few days a week on the computer, it's great! I miss him sooooo much and I can't wait for him to finally be home.

jennifert9
07-23-2005, 01:16 AM
Souraya....thank you for posting here...you were mentioned and I tried to do you justice by posting what we had spoken about but I knew it wasn't good enough....
You are a doll and a sweetheart to worry about others when you are going through the same thing.....:)

You and Andrew are in my prayers as always.....Love, Jennifer XXOOO
Talk to you soon......

rg_girlca
07-23-2005, 01:46 AM
I pray that everyone who is or going to be deployed, stay safe.

Here is a little poem for all the loved ones that will be thinking of you for when you come home.

.........................You're Home..........................

Oh, what a beautiful Day!
The sun is shining
The birds are singing.
You're home.

My body is alive
For the first time in months.
My heart is beating fast.
You're home.

I look at the phone.
I watch the door.
For now I have something to look for.
You're home.

And now, as I look into your eyes
And feel your arms around me,
I thank God that
You're home.

By Jonie M. Adams Hiser

Toby's my baby
07-23-2005, 01:31 PM
I dont have anyone related to me, that is deployed. But we just found out that our basketball coach is in Iraq. He said last year, that he was quiting, because he thought that nobody liked him. It was partly true, the older girls hated him, but my team, absolutly loved him. He was the best basketball coach that we had. And he pushed us to our absolute limit. We cried at our last game because he was leaving. That night, every single one of our parents called him AT HIS JOB, and begged him to come back next year. He agreed and told the school he was not resigning. We were all very very happy. But now, we found out he is in Iraq, or is going soon. We are all devestated again. But we know that he is doing something good for our country, and we all hope that he comes back safe, and unharmed, even if he wont be our basketball coach again. :(

BEST WISHES, TO EVERYONE WHO HAS SOMEONE CLOSE TO THEM, DEPLOYED, I HOPE THEY ALL COME HOME SAFE AND SOUND.

shutterbug0303
07-23-2005, 02:09 PM
Although he is not directly related to me.....

My best friend's husband is in the Marine Corps and has already served twice in Iraq and also has to go to Alaska and Arizona frequently. They have only been married for a little over a year and he has been gone for more than half of that time. She stays on base in their house and works, but I know it's lonely for her.

Her husband is scheduled to leave for California on August 20th and then on September 20th, leave to Arizona from California for another 6 weeks. Unfortunately, their first baby is due to arrive September 16 - while hubby is in California :( I feel horrible that she will be going through her last bit of pregnancy and first few months with the baby alone. She cannot come home because their insurance will not pay for the delivery if she leaves the area! So I have been travelling weekly to be with her for her labor and delivery classes - I get to be the labor coach! :D What an honor, but still so sad that he will not be there for his first child's birth :(

When he returns in November, he will stay home until around January or February, when he will be deployed to Iraq again, for 6 months to a year! :( He will be missing the first year of his daughter's life.......

God Bless our Troops - Keep them safe and bring them home soon!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-23-2005, 02:31 PM
At first, I didn't understand what Debbie meant by "a waiting wife". But after reading all the replies, I think I got it! So, Missy and Tyler are coming to the States, while Paul will be going to aother mission? Do you know where he will be going to, Missy?
And, will you be going back to Japan afterwards? Sorry, so many questions....:o

I have much admiration for all military's!!

Sirrahsim
07-23-2005, 04:54 PM
That's right Lut. Paul is being sent to the desert (I can't be more specific than that) and while he is there Tyler and I will stay with my parents in the states. We could stay here in Japan, but it would be terribly lonely. When Paul gets back from the desert he will take a vacation to the states and then we will fly back to Japan together next year.

Almita
07-24-2005, 01:11 AM
I don't have anyone close in mind but this is a wonderful thread and idea for people on here.;)

sirrahbed
08-24-2005, 04:37 PM
I thought it might be a good idea to bring this thread back up to the front for those families who have loved ones deployed. I will try to bring it back now and then.

Could some of you who are currently waiting for your loved one - could you maybe share some ideas about...

♥ ♥ what you send in carepackages?

♥ ♥ things you do to stay busy?

♥ ♥ what have other people done for you that helped you cope?

Also - please join me in daily prayers for the safety of our deployed troops and for the loved ones they have waiting for them. Thank you so much!

I found this very nice site!! (http://www.geocities.com/tiffao2001/)

DJFyrewolf36
08-24-2005, 04:50 PM
We send care packages to my brother all the time. He LOVES chocolate, but never gets it so we like to send him it. Cookies are a favorite for him too. One time, I sent him a Troll doll in a army outfit. He still keeps it in his pack with him wherever he goes along with a little stuffed frog my mom sent him (He's obsessed with frogs)

Right now he is going through a very rough time. The injury he sustained in Afganistan is affecting him still, even though its been two years or so since it happened. It gives him a lot of pain. Also, his wifes family is very upset and is saying some hurtful things to him because he hasn't been around his daughter and he will more than likely miss the birth of his son. They are telling him that if he really WANTED a family, he would just up and quit...I don't think its fair to expect him to quit. His wife met him after he had been in the Army for 6 years, so she knew what she was getting into (He was in special forces even then). He says that the Army is his lifes work, and that he doesn't envision himself doing anything else. He loves his family, I can tell that from talking to him, but his wifes family is making it hard. Now, they are talking about divorce...and I don't think that he needs the stress of worrying about his wife leaving him on top of his duties.

Pray for him...and others in his situation.

katienoonan
08-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
♥ ♥ [/COLOR] what you send in carepackages?

I send him lots of wrapped candy and wrapped beef jerky. I've sent him some socks and boxers. I send cards and letters all the time. I also sent a blanket and some hygene (sp) things. Lots of pictures. So many things lol.

♥ ♥ things you do to stay busy?

Pet talk of course. I also hang out with my mom and play with Lucy a lot. I watch TV and movies(which always remind me of Rob*my husband*) I hang out with my friends and family quite often and I get to talk to him on the internet a few times a week which is always nice.

sirrahbed
08-24-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Katie :) - I am sure my Missy will peek in and get some ideas. I found another site called Half My Heart (http://www.halfmyheart.com/) and there are some great tee-shirts and other gift ideas there. I like the ones that say "Half my heart is in Iraq, Afganistan, etc" and has a heart that is half red, white and blue and half camo.:D

Kristina - I am so sorry to hear about the family problems that your brother is having now:( He needs support so badly and having to deal with that seems so.....don't know what to say. I have prayed for him just now - can't do better than that.

DJFyrewolf36
08-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Prayers and good thoughts always help. I hope for his and his kids sake that my brother and his wife can work things out. His daughter is 5 and starting pre-school soon. She is really smart, and understands why her daddy has to be away but is upset now over the fighting.

I can understand his wifes hardship too, though. Being only 3 weeks away from having another child plus having to worry about her family having a caniption fit. Also, he never knows when they will deploy him, sometimes they call during the middle of the night and tell him he has to go. I can't immagine how hard it would be to know that each time he walks out the door could be the last time she sees him.

It bugs me and I hardly ever see him. I've seen him twice in 12 years. He calls me, and I get to talk to him every once in a while but if he is on assignment, there is no communication from him at all, even to his wife and kids. :(

sirrahbed
08-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
I found another site called Half My Heart (http://www.halfmyheart.com/)

Missy - did you see this site and also the suggestions that Katie posted? Goodie boxes are the best!:D

sirrahbed
08-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by christa
My cousin, Steve, is in Iraq right now. We were hoping that he'd be home by now . . . He writes us quite a bit.

One thing I just love . . . his wife makes a monthly newsletter that she sends out to all of the family, with excerpts from his emails & letters to her (I'm sure they talk to each other a lot more than anyone else!) . . . and she also includes pictures & maps of where he is located. It's really been great to share with everyone. Keeps everyone connected to him and helps us to remember every second of the day what our troops are doing for our country! It's something to consider. :)

Christa - I love that newsletter idea! I bet everyone appreciates it very much:) Hope Steve continues to be well!!

BitsyNaceyDog
08-26-2005, 10:23 AM
I don't have anyone close to me in the military. I will pray for strength for all of you and for all your love ones to return safely. I pray that all the troops will soon return home to their families.

Missy- Have you found a home for Boomer yet? I did a quick search and didn't find anything saying you had. I know bringing him to the states wasn't the best option for him, but since you will be traveling with Carol (and then Paul on the return) could that now be an option? I know it's costly, but I'd be willing to help out a bit and I'm sure others would too. I know that your thinking of what's best for Boomer and I wish you the best with what ever you do.

pitc9
08-26-2005, 11:38 AM
I do not have family serving, a friend is in the National Guard and will be shipped out the end of September. He does not yet know where he'll be going for sure. I will be at his wedding on September 9th.

I pray for strength for you all with loved ones over seas. My heart goes out to you and your families.