PDA

View Full Version : Getting puppy - male or female?

manda99
02-22-2002, 04:21 PM
Hello,
I am getting a puppy in the next few months (they were born yesterday) and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice, experience, what have you...

Currently the puppy's dad is living with us - I'm wondering if male pitbulls do better with a new female or with a male? In other words, would he be more agressive with one or the other? Will he know that it's his offspring?

I used to live with 3 pitbulls - brother and sister, then another male. It seemed the female was always the one starting stuff up and the 2 males were always pretty chill together.

Anyway, if anyone has anything to contribute, please do.

Oh, just to let you know, I don't really have a preference for either of the sexes when it comes to pitbulls... In my experience the males have always been more chill and I like that... And I'll get the dog fixed either way, so...

Thanks.
-manda99-

Kfamr
02-22-2002, 05:22 PM
I dont know how he will react to the puppy, but i know i love pit bulls. Do you have any pictures of them!? id love to see. im a big pit bull fan. i guesss i seem to talways prefer the underdog( because of their bad rep , people dislike them without getting to know the true dog.) Im so happy to have another pit bull person on here!!! My Simba is a pit german shepard mix.... Welcome to pet talk and im sorry i couldnt help out

KayAnn and Simba

manda99
02-22-2002, 05:34 PM
Thanks for your response... I love pitbulls, too!
No pics of the puppies yet, maybe this weekend...
But if you want to see Pork Chop (the dad) you can check out his photo album:
http://photos.yahoo.com/obbsuperstar
(The beagle is his new friend, Bella).

-manda99-

manda99
02-22-2002, 05:48 PM
I'm trying to see if I can post a picture...

Kfamr
02-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Im in love! I just love the build of pit bulls. Their big head, and big muscular bodies! Pork Chop is a handsome fella! I love his colorings! He reminds me of this puppy Kovie i used to walk, he was the same coloring but with less white! Ahhh im in love!

aly
02-25-2002, 09:11 PM
Generally if there is a difference in gender between two dogs, there is a greater chance for them to get along. The female/female combo is the worst because if they fight, blood will usually be drawn. Males tend to fight and get over it quickly. This is of course just a general rule and there are numerous exceptions.

I would suggest adding a female would be the safest way to go. But a male could also work, depending on your dog.

manda99
02-26-2002, 09:53 AM
That's what I was kind of thinking, too. Thanks for your input.

I still haven't seen them but I'm leaning toward a female.
Name? Blueberry... maybe. Like I said, I haven't seen 'em yet.

Any one else?
Thanks again.

Stenograsaurus
02-26-2002, 11:35 AM
I was thinking along the same lines as Aly. I was waiting form someone with a little more experience dealing with dogs to give their opinion. I did have two male dogs who lived in perfect harmony for years (until I brought a female dog home). I now have a male and female and there are no problems.

Good luck with the new puppy. And, by the way, your dog is gorgeous!!! I think he looks so regal!!!

manda99
02-26-2002, 03:37 PM
A regal looking dog named Pork Chop... That's so funny.

ilovehounds
02-26-2002, 07:50 PM
I don't know much about pitbulls other then they are gorgeous :D
I just saw they word beagle and had to take a peak...lol..

Pork chop is soooo handsome and his friend bella is sooo cute.

oh I have a male and female and they get along great they have never had a fight.

KYS
02-26-2002, 09:56 PM
Congratulations on your puppy to be.
I agree with the others:
I do not know much about pits, but if their
anything like Akita's when it comes to
Dog Dominance, I would definitley add the opposit
sex and get a female. : )

irishwolfhoundlover25
02-28-2002, 11:18 AM
Hi! I don't know much about pitbulls but with most breeds if you already have a male and you get another male ... well it is just not a good combination. You see the male dog that you already have is the man of the house now so if you get another male there may be some compitition. Now if you get two males at the same time there probobly won't be any compitition. I think you should get a female. But like I said before I don't know much about pitbulls.:confused: :)

P.S. No, the male that you already have will not know that the dog you are going to get is his son/daughter

Dixieland Dancer
02-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by irishwolfhoundlover25
P.S. No, the male that you already have will not know that the dog you are going to get is his son/daughter

This is a true statement in the male dog world. On the other hand if it is a female (Mother dog) she will know it is one of her pups. At a certain point in time though they quit being mom and the pups become another in the pack. Sometimes they are even dominant over mom.

manda99
02-28-2002, 03:11 PM
That's what I pretty much figured.

manda99
03-01-2002, 01:22 PM
I saw the puppies yesterday! They are SO cute!
8 look like mini-Pork Chops and the 9th one is a big ol
blockhead white one. They are so adorable.
We took pics but on a regular camera so nothing to post yet...

Anyway, I'm excited.
Bye.

manda99
03-12-2002, 10:39 AM
I picked out my pup! She's so cute. There were 6 boys and 3 girls, I'm getting a girlie - thanks everyone for your advice. (Even though I am so in love with 2 of the boys... :) )

She's all gray except for some white on her chest; her nose is half gray , half pink. I think her name will be Blueberry (Blue and/or Bear).

I lag so still no pictures ... maybe soon.

I'm excited but nervous, I've never owned my own dog before. I've lived w/ dogs and helped take care of them, but it's never been 100% my responsibility. Anyone have any tips?
Also, what's a good age to start her in puppy skool/training?

Thanks.
xoxo
manda99

janetg
04-22-2006, 08:22 AM
I have a 17 month old pitbull and a 11 week old pitbull both males and also a mongrel aged 14 years called sheba a female and a cat called hollie. My 16 month old pit named ty loves the pup and my other pets,and the pup named tj gets on well at the moment with them all, if you get a male pitbull pup then dont leave them on their own ever even if you get a female dont let them be on their own in the same room without you being there,but as long as you make sure they know their place ie:make sure that you let the older dog be leader, and feed him first before the pup.I do not feed any of my animals together just incase, they should be fine.I had a female staffy and she was horrible to both ty and sheba she never stayed still and in the end I had to rehome her to i friend and now she is fine[the only dog they have though}so she gets all the attention,I WILL NEVER get another female of any breed they hold grudges and are very stubborn. I hope i have been some help to you and i hope everything goes ok.Just one more thing make sure you introduce them with just you and your partner in a quite place ie:So they can get to know each other first before introducing them to anyone else.

janetg
04-22-2006, 09:03 AM
Guide lines on owning a new puppy pitbull.NEVER HIT your puppy but be firm they r very intellegant.HOUSE TRAINING:when puppy wakes up take him/her outside and say pee pee or poo poo and when you have feed your puppy do the same. When your puppy wants to use the loo he/she will walk around sniffing then start to circle an area take him/her outside,In two or three weeks he/she should be crying at the door in which you let him/her out of and soon anough he/she should be house trained NOTE females are harder to train than males they are stubborn,If your puppy makes a mistake ie:puddle or even worse on the carpet DO NOT SHOUT OR HIT HIM/HER just be quicker next time IF THEY DO IT AT NIGHT IT WILL ONLY BE BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT WAIT.Please do not hurt the puppy he/she is only a baby would you HIT KICK a new born baby NO so dont hit,kick a PUPPY. RUFF PLAY: Playing with your puppy is fine but when he/she starts to nip you it is wrong correct this by filling a small coke bottle up half way with dried peas and then when he/she goes to far WHICH he/she will, bang the bottle on the floor and then say no in a gentle but firm voice,the sound alone should bring him/her to a sudden stop so there is no need to shout,then carry on playing do this 2 or 3 times and the nipping should stop.You can use the bottle for a number of things from constent barking to trying to jump on to thing he/she is not aloud.Just remember that if you learn him/her at a young age and show him/her praise and love he/she will love you and die for you if he/she had too.

Daisy Jo's Mom
04-23-2006, 05:22 PM
wow that last post was extemely helpful to me.....thank you soo much...i am gonna try that

I have had all those problems with my puppy pitt.....i have been smacking him on the nose..and obviously it doesn't do any good.....i have only had little dogs so this is a first for me...