PDA

View Full Version : A/C is broken...and guess where I live...

shutterbug0303
07-21-2005, 05:36 PM
SOUTH CAROLINA!!!!

**Update on page 2**

(well, kind of...right on the border of NC and SC...)

Anyway, the temp today with heat index reach the high of the summer at 110 degrees! And today our a/c decided to break! The dogs are sooo hot - as well as the humans! And no repair person until tomorrow!!

Right now we are a steamy 90 degrees inside according to the thermostat! :eek:

Fingers crossed that something is fixed...and QUICK!!!

catnapper
07-21-2005, 05:44 PM
That sounds awful! Just like my own personal nightmare! Hoping you survive the night!

GoldenRetrLuver
07-21-2005, 05:44 PM
YIKES! I'm so sorry. :(

It's REALLY hot over here, too.. about 104*. But, that's an L.A. summer for ya. They've put up warnings around here about not leaving the A/C down too low, because there have been many power outages which equals no working air conditioning.

Hope you guys can get it fixed quickly!

dukedogsmom
07-21-2005, 06:10 PM
You definately have my sympathy! I hope you can get it fixed soon. My brother and I about burned up driving the old pickup to the dealership. I didn't realise it got that hot up there. Good luck on getting cool really soon!

anna_66
07-21-2005, 06:13 PM
Oh that stinks! I'm hoping you get it fixed soon and are back to a cool state of mind soon:D

kuhio98
07-21-2005, 06:27 PM
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear this. Can you and the dogs stay with a friend or family member tonight to stay cool? Hope they fix the a/c asap.

Uabassoon
07-21-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your a/c. I know how horrible that can be. ABout 2 months ago Alexa's a/c broke thankfully her house is very well insulated so it didn't get too hot. However I would be doomed if mine broke. I once forgot to turn it on and it got up to 102 in my apartment!

If you have any 1 gallon water jugs lying around fill them with water and freeze it, put them in the areas where the dogs like to hang out. It will help cool down the area a little bit.

Kfamr
07-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Oh gosh! I would just peal over and die. I bet you'll be spending a lot of time in your vehicle. ;) Hopefully you have some fans to atleast move around the air some.

Fingers crossed it gets repaired soon, hopefully it doesn't take too long.

popcornbird
07-21-2005, 07:09 PM
A/C's always decide to break at the worst times, huh? ;) I'm so sorry to hear your AC broke when its so hot. :( Is it central? What happened? Did it just stop working? Our's has done that before, but my dad discovered there's something outside in the backyard that 'resets' the air conditioning unit. Resetting it fixes it up. It just gets over-exhausted at times and shuts down. Hopefully you'll get your AC back in no time!

CagneyDog
07-21-2005, 07:16 PM
That sucks!! I hope you can get it fixed!

We don't have air conditioning at all. Thankfully it hasn't gotten really hot this summer.

moosmom
07-21-2005, 07:40 PM
You poor thing!!! May I suggest putting a wet washcloth in a ziplock bag and keeping it in the freezer. Believe me, it works!!!

Stay cool, chickie!!

lizbud
07-21-2005, 07:56 PM
You have my sympathy also.:( Make sure you & the puppers
drink plenty of water. The wet wash cloth kept for awhile in
the freezer sounds like a good idea too. Do you pups like ice cubes? It's been unbearably hot & humid here also. Almost
no air moving at all. :( Prayers you can get your A/C fixed soon.

jesse_3
07-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Wow! MN usually only goes up to 105 degrees...That is HOT!! It would suck to loose the a/c at that time!! Good luck and I hope you can keep cooler somehow!

Steph and Jes

CountryWolf07
07-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Ahhh! Judy, that stinks! :( I hope you get it fixed soon!

luvofallhorses
07-21-2005, 08:41 PM
Yikes! I am sorry :( I hope it is fixed soon!

Chica
07-21-2005, 08:56 PM
That is sooo bad! :eek: I hope you and the fur kids will be allright until the a/c is fixed?;)

BitsyNaceyDog
07-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Oh Judy, I feel your pain. Last summer our A/C broke during hurricane Charley and we had to live two weeks without it. It was beyond dreadful.
:(

shutterbug0303
07-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

My mom and I escaped for dinner this evening so that kept us cool for a while! The a/c man told us to reset the breaker and that may help...so we're supposed to see how it goes and calls in the morning. It must be working a little better now because the temp went from 90 to 85 in here - but that still isn't such a wonderful temp! I can't wait to go to work now! LOL

The girls are laying on the hardwood floor to keep cool. We're sending plenty of ice cubes their way and going outside a lot where it is cooler since it rained. I'm sure we'll making it through the night somehow! Thanks for the washcloth and frozen water jugs! Good idea! I'll get working on that now!

K9karen
07-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Our a/c went on the blitz last week and it took 3 days to get the company to come over, just to look, despite the fact we've been their customer for decades and have their water heater, duct cleaning, new heater etc, all because I didn't renew the contract on a 20 year old condenser! How did we ever live without air conditioning! I feel your pain! Of course it has to be on the hottest days of the summer! Anyway..when I decided to splurge and buy a new condenser for a few thousand bucks, funny..they came right over! I let them know about it too! I even pleaded with them...back surgery, back brace, dog etc..but milking it didn't help one bit! :mad: I hope the girls are keeping cool.. you too! *Blows cold air on you*...

lizbud
07-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Karen,

Sorry to hear about the extra bucks you had to spend, just to
keep a little cooler.:( Those AC repair people must be rolling in
dough with all this hot weather.;)

Of the too extremes of hot & cold, I think I'd choose cold. At least
folks can wrap up & snuggle with the fur kids to keep warm. But
with heat, they're not many ways to escape it. Stay cool.:)

shutterbug0303
07-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Just a little update....

flipping the breaker didn't work! We are now up to abou 90 inside again and 90 + outside!! Oh man, how I miss the a/c!

My poor mom had some teeth extracted this AM, so she's duely suffering!!

We are dispensing tons of ice cubes and trying to keep everyone cool - looks like the dogs and water hose are going to become friends today (they'll hate that!)! ;)

Hurry up A/C Man!!!! Get here fast!!!!!!!!!!

luvofallhorses
07-22-2005, 12:06 PM
:eek: I am sorry Judy, I hope he is there soon!

robinh
07-22-2005, 12:14 PM
This sounds strange, but if your critters will let you roll them on their backs you can use a cool/cold wash cloth on their tummies. Max our black and tax doxie get too hot sometimes and that's how we bring his body temp down quickly. Really seems to help.

If our air goes out, we retreat to our basement. It stays 10-15 degrees cooler down there and we could make it until the air is fixed. But (knock on wood) we haven't had any problems lately.

Take care!

shutterbug0303
07-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Well, the a/c people say there is no hope for our "old" (only by 5 years) unit. They have to replace the whole thing - plus vent and duct work in the attic...know what that means?!?!?

Major bucks! They gave an estimate of $4,100!! :eek: *sigh*

The worst news...they won't be here to install until Monday morning! Yup - and entire weekend without a/c! Geesh, why can't I live in Antartica right now?!?!?

The weekend forecast...in the mid-90's with heat index into the 100's both days! :( :(

beeniesmom
07-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Oh My! Sorry you have to endure that expense!
Sorry you are roasting too! Keep hydrated!

kuhio98
07-22-2005, 08:01 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOSH!

(That's me blowing as hard as I can to send some cool Alaskan weather down your way). I'm so sorry that you guys have to wait until Monday. If I were you, I'd be packing up the puppers and staying with some relatives this weekend.

luvofallhorses
07-22-2005, 08:11 PM
:eek: Stay cool until then, I am thinking of you!

sammy_3
07-22-2005, 09:11 PM
That majorly sucks!!!!! I have a pool in my yard that we (including my dog) loves.

anna_66
07-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Oh man, that stinks!

I just talked to my mom and she lives about 30 miles north of Charlotte in Rock Hill and she said the weather had been absolutely miserable.

I can't imagine not having ac right now:(
Try to think cool thoughts and I hope it's fixed asap monday!

dukedogsmom
07-23-2005, 11:15 AM
I don't know if it's too late or not but I believe I would get a second opinion on a whole new unit. They could very well be taking a huge advantage of you both. Anyway, hope you get cool soon.