PDA

View Full Version : How can one person be so miserable?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-21-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm not one to complain, but this is really getting to me lately.

My boss is cranky every single day lately! I know we have a lot going on at work, but we always have a lot going on at work. This guy has to have a million things going on his life or he's not happy, so why all the crankiness? I try to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he has things going on personally that are affecting his moods, but give me a break already!

I've been bored at my job for awhile now (thus the reason for going back to school), but I'm really starting to hate coming in. It's just one miserable day after another around here. It's affecting my work too because I just feel like why bother when I'm going to get cranked at anyway....:rolleyes:

Customers are cranky because he's not returning phone calls, he's cranky because material has to be back ordered, our vendors are cranky from dealing with his crankiness. And then he wonders why I'm cranky too. :rolleyes:

JenBKR
07-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Bleh, it's such a pain dealing with people like that...they bring everyone down. How can anyone stand to live like that?

Lobodeb
07-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Don't let him get you down! Remember, misery loves company. I was having a really bad day the other day. Everything that could have gone wrong, did. I was it wits end and about ready to call it quits. Then I remembered that on old boss of mine said when all else fails, try to smile and take a deep breath. It is physically impossible for your body to retain stress when you exhale. Well, I did that and it worked, I felt so much better.

Keep you head up and don't stoop to his/their level.

Barbara
07-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Could he be jealous because you have a life?;)

tikeyas_mom
07-21-2005, 12:50 PM
maybe your boss is depressed.. ever thought of that?
dont judge people till you walk a mile in their shoes.

catlover4ever
07-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Gee for a minute I thought you worked in my office. I too have a boss like that. She has way to many things going on personally and takes it out on myself and my other co-worker. It's to the point where I hate coming to work except on Thursday's when it's her day off.

Kfamr
07-21-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm so sorry you're in this situation, Debbie. I can't handle being around miserable and cranky people. They just make me feel old and cranky. Your boss sounds like he needs some mental and personal help. Some people thrive on being like that.

ramanth
07-21-2005, 01:08 PM
I have a co-worker who is a very negative person. Even if she's having a good day she will sound whiney and will sigh over dramatically because she thinks there is always something wrong.

Just having her near makes me tense and uptight.

wolflady
07-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Wow, this also sounded like me in my office. I'm sorry that you're going through that, because I know how unmotivating it can be. For me, I have a very un-empathetic boss who isn't happy if I'm not in my chair in the office for more than 9 hours in a day. Plus I have a 3 hour commute (1.5 both ways), plus I log in from home at night and on weekends! It's getting rediculous and I'm starting to feel burnt out. I'm underpaid and way under-appreciated. My India team gets praised and gets spot bonuses for their hard work...but what do I get? Nada.
Plus, the micro-managing thing gets really bothersome sometimes, and I know one of our lead gen guys has had it and is ready to leave :(

It's so hard for me to get up in the morning. My alarm goes off, and I just dread getting out of bed. I hate being like that, you know?

**hugs**

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Gee, I didn't know there were so many of us in the same situation! Misery must love company because I feel better already. ;) :D Could be that he hasn't been in the office yet today and is not calling me every 5 seconds like he usually does.

Barbara - I think that's part of the problem! He always has to make some kind of negative comment when I'm taking time off. He could take time off if he wanted to, but you know the business would go to hell if he took even 2 hours off - much less a long weekend or god forbid - a whole week! <gasp>

Kay - I hate being around people like this too. I'm normally a happy upbeat person, and if someone is down, I try to lift their spirits and tell them things aren't as bad as they seem. I usually just shrug him and his attitude off, but like I say, it's just getting to me lately.

Kimmy - OMG! The overly dramatic sigh! I think he has perfected it! :rolleyes:

Everyone else, thanks for your support! I've got a great idea. Why don't we all head over to Thursdays? We're sure to find a smile there. ;)

anna_66
07-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Sorry to hear about all the crankiness Deb, but I know the feeling.
We are going through some major changes at work and new bosses coming in. It's really chaning and most of us have been there for many years and hate to deal with it.
I just say hope for the best and things have to start going better soon (but it sounds like your day had been going pretty good since Mr boss man hadn't been in yet:D)!

wolflady
07-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
...Barbara - I think that's part of the problem! He always has to make some kind of negative comment when I'm taking time off. He could take time off if he wanted to, but you know the business would go to hell if he took even 2 hours off - much less a long weekend or god forbid - a whole week! <gasp>

Gosh, isn't this the truth! I always get negative remarks when I want to take time off (which is rarely...actually, come to think of it...I could say never, because I'm still logging in to do stuff on my "time off") or if I want to work from home.

Heck, I was in an accident a couple of weeks ago, and when I wanted to work from home because I had to deal with my insurance and collision stuff, he made lots of snide remarks about it! *sigh*
:(

catnapper
07-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Gosh, that was my life two years ago! Talk about an evil environment. It affected me so much that I turned into a completely different person. I expected everyone to automatically think negatively about me or my work. I expected the worst from a person because thats what I was used to get at work. Just the other day my husband was saying how he prefers me now (broke and desperately trying to get my artwork going) compared to before. I'm the person I WAS before that poisonous office. It took nearly two solid years for me to gain back my confidence and self esteem.

K9karen
07-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Happened to me too. She was a total *B*, not even an *hello* in the morning. No smiles, played favorites, left on time, but God Forbid WE didn't stay to complete our work. Never a word of thanks, nuthin.. and despite complaints to HR, she still kept her job. I finally left. She was so shocked and surprised that she actually started to cry. She told me she adored me, I was her best worker etc. I finally had the guts to tell her she had a funny way of showing it and I'd hate to see what she'd do if she really didn't like me. It was her loss. Found out later that she quit her job because she didn't like the way her new boss was treating her. What goes around comes around.