PDA

View Full Version : Meet Napster, my rescued ferret. :)

luckies4me
07-21-2005, 01:10 AM
I thought it's due time to introduce my newest rescue, a lovely fert boy named Napster. Unfortunately Napster didn't have the best care before coming to me. He had been fed Friskies canned cat food (1 can once a day) for two years. I believe that is what the last "owner" said. I have had him for four days now and I cannot tell you how much he has improved since coming here. When I first got him this is what he looked like:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/BengalsBuddies/IMG_0006.jpg

He had diarrhea really bad so I fasted him for a night and a day. The next day I started him on Authority kitten food, as that was what I had available at the time. He was literally skin and bones. You could feel every bone in his body. He is now eating Zupreem ferret food mixed with Authority, as well as fresh chicken, veggies and fruits and plenty of clean water. He is an absolute DOLL!!! He belonged to small children so was picked up and rough handled quite a bit I would imagine. He is so laid back. He's a little slow now, as he needs to get some energy and gain some weight. He doesn't stash anything, which is odd. :confused: He loves attention and comes to me when I call him, even if he is in the other room or down at the end of the hall. He always comes running. :)

So supposedly the children lost interest in the poor guy so the mom found him a new home. His nails were also very long for a ferret. The lady gave me his one story cage, and I will not be getting him a larger one as I am letting him be a free roam ferret. I think of ferrets as cats, they shouldn't be locked up at all times. He stays in his cage for a few hours each night to get some rest, and during the day when I need to run errands. Other than that he is out all the time.

He likes when people take pictures of him. He is very curious about the camera. Whenever I have it out he gets really close to the camera, as if to say, "Cheese!" He's such a silly guy.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/BengalsBuddies/5d446452.jpg

Here he is in the bathtub getting close for another photo, LOL. I leave the tub water running a little as he likes to go in there to drink and lay down.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/BengalsBuddies/IMG_0008.jpg

Relaxing in the computer room.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/BengalsBuddies/IMG_0021.jpg

Time for a nap!
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/BengalsBuddies/cd786b16.jpg

He knocked over the kitten food and started munchin away. The lady said he wouldn't eat kibble. I bet she never even tried giving him some! Anyways, the kittens were a little confused. They didn't know what the long furry thing eating their food was.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/BengalsBuddies/IMG_0025.jpg

Well time to check on Chloe to see if she had her babies yet. More photos of Napster later.

CathyBogart
07-21-2005, 01:28 AM
What a cutie!! He's very lucky to have ended up with you!

lv4dogs
07-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Kudos to you for saving this boys life. He sure is a cutie!

ramanth
07-21-2005, 09:26 AM
I love that pink nose! :D He's so cute. :)

Suki Wingy
07-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Aw:D :D He is just so cute! I'm glad he's with you now!

Fur&Feathers
07-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Wow!!! He looks so much better in the "after" pictures!!! Thank you for saving this little guy. I know he's found a perfect home and he's such a cutie! :D

luvofallhorses
07-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Congrats :) What a cutie pie! :)

tikeyas_mom
07-21-2005, 06:03 PM
congrats!!!!
what a sweet lil face you have Napster!!!
I lurv ferrets.

jesse_3
07-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Napster is SO cute! He is very lucky to have ended up with you!-I bet he feels a lot better with a big, full, tummy!;)

Have fun Napster, can't wait for more pics!

Steph and Jes

CagneyDog
07-21-2005, 07:10 PM
YAY!! Ferret pictures! I love ferrets!

Napster is adorable! He looks like such a sweetie!!

xVelvet_FuzzButtx
07-21-2005, 10:05 PM
aw hes precious!! thank goodness you got him.

but please please stop feeding him fruits & veggies,
A. ferrets are carnivores
B. they can cause blockages as they arn't properly digested.
C. fruits are high in sugar, and sugar is not good.

even raisens shouldn't be fed, there loaded with sugar..

Mad Mags Moo
07-24-2005, 03:05 PM
What a sweetie pie and thank god you are now looking after him! I used to have a ferret when i was younger...long time ago! He was called Flip and we use to walk him on a harness and he loved to play too, sadly he got a tumour and was put to sleep, my mum was broken hearted as it was her pride and joy. Would love to get another ferret but not sure how my cats would like that!!:D

luckies4me
07-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Mad Mags Moo
What a sweetie pie and thank god you are now looking after him! I used to have a ferret when i was younger...long time ago! He was called Flip and we use to walk him on a harness and he loved to play too, sadly he got a tumour and was put to sleep, my mum was broken hearted as it was her pride and joy. Would love to get another ferret but not sure how my cats would like that!!:D

My cats love the ferret. :D Proof of that later when I post more photos. hehe I'm sorry about your loss. It's been about 5 years since I've last owned a ferret, and I am so in love with this little guy already. He is truly my pride and joy. He's just so darn cute for words sometimes. :)

luckies4me
07-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by xVelvet_FuzzButtx
aw hes precious!! thank goodness you got him.

but please please stop feeding him fruits & veggies,
A. ferrets are carnivores
B. they can cause blockages as they arn't properly digested.
C. fruits are high in sugar, and sugar is not good.

even raisens shouldn't be fed, there loaded with sugar..

I already know this. ;) I don't give him fruit or veggies everyday. He gets a tiny apple slice as a treat ONCE a week. That's all I have given him so far. In such small quantities it shouldn't have serious consequences to his health. As far as veggies, he likes to snack on a few baby carrots, more like chew them up. Again I'll be doing this once a week, and that is all. I'm not going to load him up with anything unhealthy. I've owned ferrets and mink in the past, and have researched their diet into the ground. Having worked with a zoo vet seemed to have helped a bit as well.

As far as your ferrets, have you ever tried giving them monkey chow as a treat? I'm trying to find him something a little more crunchy than cat food to clean his teeth. Since he's been fed moist food for so long I'm a little more than worried about his dental hygiene. :p His teeth seem to be fine now, but I'm an over sensitive mommy. :D

xVelvet_FuzzButtx
08-03-2005, 01:17 AM
no monkey chow here, i don't think id even have acces s to it-plus im not sure its even healthy wouldn't it have to have fruits in it? food for ferrets should have atleast the first 3-4 ingrediants meat based.

For Dental care,
you'll want to get an Enzymic cat/dog tooth paste and either eye-makeup appliqators or a baby tooth brush. and brush his teeth weekly.

I know this is going to sound rude but why give your ferret somthing that has no nutritional value for him? giving him sugar on a regular basis his whole life(if you did) can add up. Theres such a variety of treats that are either benificial or non threatning for Ferrets these days. :)

-petite Greenies bones (good for cleaning teeth)
-N-bones
-cheweasels
-Bandits(cut in half)
-pieces of cooked or raw(must be clean) unseasoned meat
-Duck soup(needed)
-handfed pieces of kibble
-rosies rewards
-foamy fries
-Ferretone(cut 50/50 with olive oil)
-Ferrevite (givin once weekly if that often)
-Lax or vaseline

and im sure im leaving somthing out..can't think of it though.

lv4dogs
08-03-2005, 08:32 AM
no monkey chow here, i don't think id even have acces s to it-plus im not sure its even healthy wouldn't it have to have fruits in it? food for ferrets should have atleast the first 3-4 ingrediants meat based.

For Dental care,
you'll want to get an Enzymic cat/dog tooth paste and either eye-makeup appliqators or a baby tooth brush. and brush his teeth weekly.

I know this is going to sound rude but why give your ferret somthing that has no nutritional value for him? giving him sugar on a regular basis his whole life(if you did) can add up. Theres such a variety of treats that are either benificial or non threatning for Ferrets these days. :)

-N-bones
-cheweasels
-Bandits(cut in half)
-Duck soup(needed)
-rosies rewards
-foamy fries
-Lax or vaseline

GREAT advice!!!!!
And yeah the monkey chow is very bad for ferrets. (or at least all of the brands that I could find). They contain a lot of grains, corns, fruits &/or veggies.

Ferrets are 100% carnivores, they have no cecum. Their gastrointestinal tract lacks a cecum, appendix, teniae coli, and an ileocolonic sphincter. The cecum is what digest any and all non-meat foods.
You should not feed them anything but meat diets. A VERY VERY SMALL amount of grains or corn is kind of ok (like if it's waaaay down on the ingredient list) if thats all you can find & afford but really try not to feed them any non meat foods.

luckies4me
08-03-2005, 10:37 AM

For Dental care,

-N-bones
-cheweasels
-Bandits(cut in half)
-Duck soup(needed)
-rosies rewards
-foamy fries
-Lax or vaseline

Actually he no longer gets any fruit at all. :) I haven't had him his whole life. He was a rescue I just got. If you go back to the start of the thread you can read about how I got him. Monkey chow has no fruit stuff in it at all. ;)

Can you tell me more what some of the above mentioned items are? Rosies rewards, cheweasels, and N-bones. He already gets duck soup, cooked meat from the butches (store bought meat is YUCKY!!!) Ferretone and Ferretvite and I have some Bandits here as well. Haven't thought of trying the greenies though. :)

luckies4me
08-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
GREAT advice!!!!!
And yeah the monkey chow is very bad for ferrets. (or at least all of the brands that I could find). They contain a lot of grains, corns, fruits &/or veggies.

Hrmm, the kind we have here is mostly just meat and flower, but it's made by Zany Zoo so maybe that's why it's better. Did you ever go to Zany Zoo while you were here? Thanks for all the great advice everyone! :D It's been a long time since I've owned a fert. :)

lv4dogs
08-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Most of those items are a bit hard to find, at least out this way. Although I have noticed that petco just started to sell the n-bones. Most are available at ferret shelters, online stores etc...
Here is a link to my friends online store, she's got every treat you asked about as well as a few others including foamy fries which are great too! I've researched prices & she's averages out to be the cheapest around. Plus she offers auctions, raffles &/or donations from the proceeds to go to shelters.
http://ferretville.net/store.html

lv4dogs
08-03-2005, 11:17 AM
And yes I've been to Zany Zoo, thats the one on 11th isn't it?

xVelvet_FuzzButtx
08-03-2005, 11:42 AM
you can get Free samples of ferret N-bones and rosies rewards!
just write and ask for samples. i don't know how to explain them, well rosies are just dry 100% meat jerky.
email for N-bones:
[email protected]

email for rosies rewards:
[email protected]

Cheweasels and foamy fries are:
http://www.hyperfur.com/cheweasel.html
http://www.hyperfur.com/fufofr.html

i'll post the list o emails for Free samples of food soon!
Dresden

luckies4me
08-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
And yes I've been to Zany Zoo, thats the one on 11th isn't it?

Yeppers. :D When you gonna come visit? :p

luckies4me
08-03-2005, 12:32 PM
you can get Free samples of ferret N-bones and rosies rewards!
just write and ask for samples. i don't know how to explain them, well rosies are just dry 100% meat jerky.
email for N-bones:
[email protected]

email for rosies rewards:
[email protected]

Cheweasels and foamy fries are:
http://www.hyperfur.com/cheweasel.html
http://www.hyperfur.com/fufofr.html

i'll post the list o emails for Free samples of food soon!
Dresden

Cool. Thanks! :D

lv4dogs
08-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Yeppers. :D When you gonna come visit? :p

UGH I want to go oh so bad. I'm hoping to move back out there in the spring!!!