PDA

View Full Version : Does this annoy you?

jesse_3
07-21-2005, 12:52 AM
Have any of you ever noticed that there are a lot of people who join Pet Talk, but are never actually on? It annoys me and angers me! If you join something, stay with it...

furrykidsmother mom is an exception, she lurks around Pet Talk, so that is fine with me...Do any of you know anyone who lurks, but never posts? If you do, please share with us..

Steph and Jes

MariaM
07-21-2005, 12:54 AM
It doesn't bother me. Sometimes people have good intentions, but then something happens and all. I don't know. I guess I do the same thing sometimes. It's hard to keep up with a lot of forums though.

carole
07-21-2005, 01:01 AM
It does not bother me either, It certainly does not anger me at all, each to their own, if people choose to stay or lurk it is entirely up to them, I have no problem with it either way.

Giselle
07-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Ehh, I guess you're going to be angry with me, then. I'm part of many boards, many of which are filled with intelligent people who've already addressed the issues that I see are important. Therefore, I rarely post on many of those boards and am considered lurker-ish :p See, the thing is, just like the world, the forums are so wide that I prefer to wait in the shadows until I see something that urges me to post. (Hence, my pitiful number of posts. What is it? Like looming towards 500 or something?) Instead of being angry, just think "It's their loss".

Edit to add: Hey, I'm actually doing pretty good! 600-something :-P

popcornbird
07-21-2005, 01:58 AM
No. It doesn't annoy me, or bother me at all. In fact, I can't even understand how this could upset or anger someone. :confused: I'm not a lurker on this site...obviously...but I am on some others. People don't always have time to post on every site they join. Some may not want to. Its a personal choice........nothing that I feel 'should' anger or upset anyone else. :)

kuhio98
07-21-2005, 02:14 AM
Nope, doesn't annoy me or make me angry. In fact, I've never noticed that some people do that. I'm sure they have their reasons.

NoahsMommy
07-21-2005, 02:56 AM
I don't think people do that to be mean or rude...sometimes life gets in the way of things like forums.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-21-2005, 04:05 AM
Nope - doesn't bother me at all....

G535
07-21-2005, 04:25 AM
I think you'll find most forums have more lurkers than posters, some people just like to read. :)

chocolatepuppy
07-21-2005, 05:11 AM
Doesn't bother me...lurk away! ;)

neko1
07-21-2005, 05:46 AM
I am mostly a lurker because 1. I don't really have much time to read through all the posts, and have even less time to actually post and 2. everyone's got their little groups that they are friends with and I am not a part of anyone's circle of friends.:( But I understand that it's my choice to post or not and to be a loner, but I don't think that it would really bother someone if I just lurked most of the time.

Logan
07-21-2005, 06:13 AM
If I had to try to keep up with any more names and who belonged to whom, my head would be spinning! LOL!!!! :o I agree with you on one point you made, though. Why join up if you're not going to post, when you can read all day without joining? That's the only part that I always wonder about on some of the sites I visit, but I don't get angry about it at all. The way I see it, it's their loss! :)

Pam
07-21-2005, 06:17 AM
To be honest I would rather people just lurk if they don't have something to contribute. I read more threads than those that I post to, and that is because I don't think I can bring anything to that thread. I think we have all read posts where we would have preferred the person who posted to have just lurked. :p :p

Joannie
07-21-2005, 07:28 AM
I admit I am a lurker, the main reason I like this group, is I love the pictures of every ones babies. Sorry if I bother anyone. Joann:(

JenBKR
07-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Doesn't bother me...in fact I have joined forums that I lurked in for a while just to ask a question (well I only did that once). After that one question I never posted again. I never actually thought that would bother someone...here I post sometimes, but I keep pt on my computer all day while I'm at work, and just flip over when I have a few minutes to look around or post. Hope that doesn't bother anyone! :)

finn's mom
07-21-2005, 08:16 AM
Doesn't bother me, I guess I don't even notice if someone's not posting once they join. I don't pay attention to the joining people, I guess. I notice if a particular frequent poster sometimes isn't around, but, even then, sometimes it takes someone else pointing it out. Why do you think it annoys you? Is it just a pet peeve? I mean, pet peeves usually are kinda petty and never make sense, and, can't be explained.....but, I was wondering if it was more than just a pet peeve and it really, genuinely upsets you. I don't really understand why it would, but, if it does, then it does. Me getting it isn't hardly the point, but, I'm curious. ;)

K9soul
07-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Can't say it ever bothers me really, but sometimes I see the family of a dog, cat, or pet of the day join and wish they might come share more with us about their pet! Some people join specifically to say something about one of the pets of the day, ask a health or behavior question, or even just post a memorial for their RB pets, but don't have the time or desire to make PT a regular part of their lives, and I understand that. :)

lv4dogs
07-21-2005, 08:46 AM
It doesn't bother me one bit, heck I don't even notice. I don't have the time to go & look & see who has or has not been posting.
I understand that everyones lives are different. A lot of folks have their own reasons. Some may be too busy to post often. Some may not have need to post often. And there are a lot of forums out there that are not so nice so if they want to take their time & look around to make sure all is safe & happy then so be it.

CalliesMom
07-21-2005, 08:47 AM
I must admit I'm a lurker and have been for years. I come here everyday, several times a day but just never post. I guess I just don't feel I have much to contribute and would prefer to see pictures of everyone else's furbabies.

smokey the elder
07-21-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't see what difference it makes. I lurked for over 2 years before I joined. About the only nitpick is that they might use an ID you wanted.:p

cloverfdx
07-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Nope it does not bother me at all, there are more important things to worry about in the world.

iceyshiver21
07-21-2005, 10:55 AM
I go from loads of posting to just reading depending on the time I have... it is rare that I have enough to post anymore.

luvofallhorses
07-21-2005, 10:58 AM
It doesn't bother me at all :)

beeniesmom
07-21-2005, 11:16 AM
don't really care.... it's thier loss.... not participating.

Anita Cholaine
07-21-2005, 12:11 PM
It doesnt bother me, I think some people just join forums and then they dont feel interested in them... When I joined PT I tought I would never have even ten posts...I joined lots of forums in wich that happened, but here I am....almost 300 posts!!!:D Hope some day I get the 1000...

furrykidsmother
07-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Hmmm!!?? Not sure how I came up in this post, I've only been here a few months and I think I have contributed quite a bit with replies and I have posted a few threads. I didn't think of myself as a "lurker". There are threads that I don't respond to because I don't feel I have the knowledge to and there are some I simply don't see at the time. Sometimes I log on and forget to log off, so it may appear that I am browsing when I'm not. Sorry, if I have given the wrong impression to anyone.

I didn't realize that there were people posting under different names. That doesn't seem right.

JenBKR
07-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by furrykidsmother
Hmmm!!?? Not sure how I came up in this post, I've only been here a few months and I think I have contributed quite a bit with replies and I have posted a few threads. I didn't think of myself as a "lurker". There are threads that I don't respond to because I don't feel I have the knowledge to and there are some I simply don't see at the time. Sometimes I log on and forget to log off, so it may appear that I am browsing when I'm not. Sorry, if I have given the wrong impression to anyone.

I didn't realize that there were people posting under different names. That doesn't seem right.

i see you around all the time, you post WAY more than me! Not sure how you got mixed up in it...

grybai
07-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Eeep, I'm a bit of a lurker though I don't see why it would bother anyone. There's a plethora of information here and mainly I do searches when I'm trying to learn something whether it be on recommendations on cat food or how to properly crate train my dog. I've made a few posts, but a big reason I'm here is because my girlfriend is very involved.

I also enjoy looking at pictures of other people's pets. :)

However, after attending the CA BBQ I am posting and lurking a bit more than before... though honestly, when school starts up again and I'm taking 18 credit hours and working part time I doubt I'll have much time to post.

Kfamr
07-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Doesn't bother me at all and certainly doesn't anger me. Some people just have less time than others. I know there's sometimes when i've joined a message board I felt weird just reading it without being a member. It kind of feels like trespassing. While I may only post once or twice a month, I lurk often.

Fur&Feathers
07-21-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm definitely a lurker. I know it doesn't bother anyone. But I'd like to apologize for sometimes making threads, then not having enough time to come back, check on all the replies and reply myself.

Muddy4paws
07-21-2005, 03:43 PM
I lurk around pettalk everyday its addictive but I've tried to join in with the topics but I never seem to get noticed so I rarely bother anymore but I still enjoy seeing everyone pets

anna_66
07-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Nope, can't say it bothers me a bit. Although I'm not a lurker on pt (that's obvious:o) I am at a mastiff board. There are times when I've had a question so obviously I needed to join.

What saddens me (not annoys) is when people join, you get to know them and their pups and they kinda fade away never to be heard from again. I know people's lives get busy, but I miss them:)

pipersmom
07-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Some of us do not have time to post as much as we would want to. I look at the sight several times a day, but I can't sit on the computer at work and chat all day (much as I'd love to)! :D

At night, there are puppies to feed and walk, dinner to cook, showers to take, dishes to wash, laundry, and a myriad of other chores that get pushed to my next day's "to do" list. Every other weekend is spent traveling to the eastern part of my state to visit with elderly parents.

I think most of us who fall into the category you refer to love seeing everyone's pets and that's the BIG reason we come here. Everyone doesn't have the time that you might have. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

I wouldn't waste too much energy being angry with us. There are more worthy targets. ;-)

catnapper
07-21-2005, 05:29 PM
I never stopped to think of it. I've joined several other message boards when I had a question pertaining ot whatever the board was. I posted, got my answer, never went back. So what if that's what people do? Not everyone is into sharing their lives with the whole internet world. Perhaps they just wanted to find out a specific thing about their pet... got their answer and moved on.

Also consider: not everyone is seen as being online. I myself am set to invisible. I show up as a "guest" when you check out whos online.

jesse_3
07-21-2005, 07:49 PM
okay, shoot, I didn't mean like posting just one or two times, I meant joining, and NOT lurking, or posting. I don't mind if they are lurking, it honestly would be nice if they let us know they are lurking, lol!
I didn't mean this to be mean or harsh..I was just, I don't know, it was sorta dumb I guess. I am sorry if this angered anyone ( I think it did, as I read some posts..)

Finns Mom, I guess it is sort of a pet peeve. I know it's dumb, but, I weird..I guess I never really thought this whole thing through!-I should should learn to think MORE before I type..

Again, I am sorry for the little uproar..I do understand that sometimes there are good intensions for things, that never get accomplished. I do that quite a bit..I guess I wasn't thinking clearly.

Steph and Jes

ps. I didn't mean ANGRY, I meant, frustrating..

finn's mom
07-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by jesse_3
Finns Mom, I guess it is sort of a pet peeve. I know it's dumb, but, I weird..I guess I never really thought this whole thing through!-I should should learn to think MORE before I type..

Ah, i don't think you have anything to worry about. Someone truly being offended by what you originally posted (especially since you've apologized and explained a little bit more), is about as silly as you being angry at lurkers and non posters. ;) but, pet peeves usually are silly, I think you're fine. It's cool that you cleared it up a little more, though. :)

rizzy
07-21-2005, 09:04 PM
I dont post when I dont know what to say but I enjoy reading others thoughts. Overall it doesnt bother me, but most of the time I dont even notice. ***Its okay to post your thoughts.;):)

carole
07-21-2005, 09:04 PM
I honestly don't think anyone was offended by your post, everyone was just answering your question candidly, as I said does not bother me one way or the other.,everyone is entitled to their pet peeves or things that annoy them, this is one that is yours and seems to be yours alone, but hey that is ok ya know.:)

neko1
07-22-2005, 05:44 AM
What Carole said:)

mruffruff
07-22-2005, 09:54 AM
What Pipersmom said.

Some of us are single, with multiple pets to care for as well as homes. Those who live at home don't realize how much time and energy goes into keeping the everyday stuff running and still hold down a full-time job.

I've posted a few times on other boards and drifted away because I just didn't have time. Some days, I can only lurk here and other days I can post a lot. Depends on how much work I have to get out for my boss.

I don't mind lurkers. I really think some people join without intending to come back. Those are the ones I wish wouldn't bother to join. Wait until you're sure you want to be a participating member, then join.

Mary

Jennsen
07-22-2005, 11:37 AM
In some cases(threads) when I'm reading along with everyone's posts, I have every intention of posting myself but then I find a disagreement has started and it's getting a little heated, I change my mind and perfer to stay out of it. :eek: But in general I try to post and reply to as many as I have time to do:)

Freckles
07-22-2005, 11:46 AM
First I decide if I want to open a thread. If I can't tell what the topic is, I often don't.

If I do open the thread, I decide if I can add helpful information (or another picture of Freckles) and then post.

I don't really call myself a lurker, but a selective poster!:)

I approve of removing member names of those who joined 3 or 4 years ago and NEVER post.

jesse_3
07-24-2005, 02:26 AM
Okay, I feel much better now:)

Almita
07-24-2005, 02:31 AM
I know some of my friends just sign up but they never use it!! ahh! If I sign up on something I would stick with it.

Vette
07-24-2005, 04:07 AM
The only thing i dont like.. is when people join to ask a question in any of the Health boards to try and avoid taking their pet/s to the vet and getting quick fix advise from us. and then never ever post here again or even lurk.

Sus
07-24-2005, 06:18 AM
... for all the above comments! I lurk a lot myself and I have often felt kind of guilty for not posting more than I do... :( Now, that I have read this thread I actually feel better about myself - seeing that in general people on PT understand and that they don't really mind! ;)

You'll find my reasons for not posting more than I do in all the above mentioned, however, I would like to add a few of my own personal reasons...!

First of all, I'm a danish and therefore english is not my first language. Sometimes the words in english will come easy to me - but sometimes they don't. Sometimes it will take me forever to find the right words, and if so, I usually find myself facing another problem which is that I do not do "sitting down" very well! I have some troubles with my back which will really only be at peace if I walk about most of the time!:rolleyes:

My energy-level changes a lot. Yesterday I read the entire thread about what it means to be a PetTalker. Well, I'm like that, and I do all that. And sometimes I feel like I'm bursting with a lot of good stories to tell, it's just that most of the time I just can't. Either I'm too busy, too tired, my back hurts or it's too difficult for me to translate my thoughts into english. Other than that, I'm not very good at keeping it short (as you can see!:D :D ), my posts tend to be boring, I guess, because of the lack of photos (Working with photos is also new to me) - and anyway I don't really dare write my stories. Who would want to read them?? There are so many good stories out there already. And I would be so disappointed if I got no replies! :eek: Which would most likely happen, since I'm usually online at the wrong time.... that is when most of America is still asleep.

Well, there it is! I'm glad you asked this question. And by the way - what on earth is a pet peeve???

Lots of love,
Sus and the Bellacat

Cataholic
07-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Sus, if I am not mistaken, you are Fister and Randi's friend, correct? I encourage you to post away, "perfect" english or not. Most of us can read what is meant, rather than that which is typed. :D

A pet peeve is one of those little, and usually senseless, things that set us off (annoy us) for no real reason. I will let someone else search for the way this came to be.

A pet peeve might be someone leaving the cap off the toothpaste. Or, leaving just one inch of milk in the container. Or, slamming a door....little irksome things that make all of us unique, and annoying to one another...:D

finn's mom
07-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Sus
Well, there it is! I'm glad you asked this question. And by the way - what on earth is a pet peeve???

I've always thought it maybe came from the word petty, because they usually are. ;) It's usually things that consistently bug you....I'll look it up and see if I can find anything that might explain it better. Your english sounds fine to me!

From www.dictionary.com

Something about which one frequently complains; a particular personal vexation

A particular or recurring source of irritation

n : an opportunity for complaint that is seldom missed; "grammatical mistakes are his pet peeve"

I'll try to find the origin later, unless someone else finds it first...

K & L
07-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Not at all. There are times I'm able to post on a regular basis, and then times (like lately) I've barely the time. I still try and check out things when possible. I feel if we help someone who just reads and not posts, then something good has been accomplished.

new mom to a veiled
07-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Sus this is for you............;) ;)
I'm fairly new to Pt and it has only been the last couple of days I have had the pleasure to read you posts..........I thought they were great, they cracked me up. Don't worry about you english it's fine. It's my first language and you are doing a better job than I'am. By the way your kitty is sweet.......So keep your head up and please keep posting!!!! (that is great advice I got from Finn's mom and it's true)

Sus
07-24-2005, 12:01 PM
... how much it means to me that you replied to this one...! Yes, it's correct that I know Randi and Fister - they live just across the street, and I'm really happy about that. She's the one who encouraged me to try PT.... but I don't think it would be fair of me to expect that her friends would automatically be my friends! Anyhow, thanks for all your kind words - and

Originally posted by new mom to a veiled
......So keep your head up and please keep posting!!!! (that is great advice I got from Finn's mom and it's true)

WILL DO!![/I] :) :) :)

Lots of love,
Sus and Bella

Oh, and I forgot: Gosh! I think I'm pet peeve prone....!!! (At least sometimes, anyway....!) :eek: