PDA

View Full Version : Sad news

Sirrahsim
07-20-2005, 07:44 PM
We recently found out that my sweet husband is going to be deployed very soon. Because of the length of the tour (about 4 months) Tyler and I will be flying back to stay with my parents for a few months.

We've been thinking about Boomer and his eventual flight to the states for a long time and have decided that it is best for Boomer if we place him in another home. Bringing him with us to the states for this trip is not an option because I will be flying alone with Tyler and wouldn't possibly be able to handle both of them. I also wouldn't want to subject him to that plane trip even if I could manage somehow. Finding him a temporary home during my trip would only make things harder on an already skitty kitty. So we will start looking for a loving family for him immediately. We will be VERY picky about who we give him to.

I want you all to know that it breaks my heart to have to give him up, but I TRULY have *his* best interests at heart.

If you disagree with what I am doing, please KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!! My self and my family have quite enough on our plates to worry about right now..

Just filling everybody in...

moosmom
07-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Oh Missy!

I am so sorry about the whole situation. You are strong, girl. I know how you feel though and can sympathize. The last thing you need is Boomer stressing out and getting sick. I know you'll find him a great home. At least that'll be one less thing to worry about. I'm glad you'll be able to stay with your parents. It'll give them both a chance to spoil both you and Tyler!! ;)

Hang in there, Melissa. I'll say a prayer for your hubby's safe return home and Boomer's finding another wonderful furrrrrever home.

((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))

Donna

catmandu
07-20-2005, 07:53 PM
WE KNOW,HOW MUCH YOU LOVE BOOMER,AND HOW MUCH,THIS IS HURTING YOU.
YOU ,ARE IN OUR PRAYERS,THAT YOUR HUSBAND,WILL BE SAFE,IN AN INCREASINGLY TENSE SITUATION.

AND THAT YOU CAN FIND,BOOMER,JUST THE RIGHT FURR EVER HOME.
OUR PRAYERS,ARE WITH YOU ALL.

catnapper
07-20-2005, 09:17 PM
I am so sorry Missy! I know this is something you've been very concerned about for a long time. I am sorry to hear that the time has come to make ths decision... and the reason behind the decision! I will pray that he is safe the entire time he is away!

{{{HUGS}}} I know a good home will be found for him

kuhio98
07-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Missy ~ I would never second guess your decision. We all know that you have Boomer's happiness at heart. If your mother-in-law is still planning a visit to Japan, could she travel back with you? While you are busy with Tyler, maybe she could handle Boomer? Just an idea. And if you're passing through Anchorage on your way back from Japan, please know that you are always welcome in our home if you have a long layover or need to rest between between flights. Lisa

Just wanted to add that as much as I'd love to meet you and baby Tyler, I hope they route you through Hawaii instead. Given a choice, I think most folks would much prefer to lay over in Paradise instead of Anchorage. :p

catcrazylady
07-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Missy I know this must be so hard on you.:( You have a new baby and now daddy is going away for awhile and I know how much you will miss him and worry.

I know you will find Boomer a good home. If all else fails then maybe you could find someone to keep him while your gone. It's just a thought for an option in case the right home doesn't come along.

This has to be so hard on you. Please know that we will be praying for Paul, you, Tyler, and for the perfect home for Boomer. Don't worry Missy, things always seem to somehow work out right.:)

Pawsitive Thinking
07-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Lovely lady - you are doing a very selfless thing in putting Boomer's needs before your own. I hope you will all be safe and happy

Laura's Babies
07-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Awe Missy, I know you are heartbroken but we DO have to do what is best for our babies. I know first hand what it is to have to be away from my babies and I know how bad it hurts. In this case, I know you are doing the right thing so don't ever question what you are doing for Boomer. Sometime "love" means having to let go.

This has to be a doubled edge sword for you. Happy to get to go home to your family but sad at having to leave Boomer behind. You are doing the right thing.

furrykidsmother
07-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Sorry to hear that you have to make such a difficult decision, but you have to decide what is best for all concerned including Boomer. I am sure that he will miss you (and you him) very much, but I hope that he will be able to find a new home and be happy there. You do have alot on your plate. We will keep good thoughts for you, Tyler and Boomer and for hubby too that he will stay safe.

caseysmom
07-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Prayers to keep your hubby safe. I am sorry you have to worry about so many things right now with a new baby it should all be easy and happy but sometimes thats not how it works out.

catmandu
07-21-2005, 03:43 PM
I JUST GAVE UP BIG RAGNAR,AS HE NEVER WAS ALL THAT COMFORTABLE HERE,THE ONLY ONE,HE LIKED WAS SCRAPPY 2,HE BASICALLY,WAS A LONER,HERE.
HE IS GOING,WITH THE FINE YOUNG LADY,HE WAS THE KITTEN FOR,AND THEY LOVE EACH OTHER,MORE THAN A BIT.

I KNOW,THAT BOOMER,WILL FIND JUST,THE RIGHT FURR EVER HOME.THERES A VACANCY,AT THE FOUND CAT HOTEL,I THINK,THAT BOOMER,WOULD FIT RIGHT IN HERE.

jenluckenbach
07-21-2005, 06:44 PM
I am so sorry that you have to give up Boomer. It is understandable, the reasoning, but still very VERY sad. Such a hard thing to do.

But once you find that perfect family for him, you can feel a little better knowing he is safe and loved.

I suppose, you could always check on him when you return to apan (if you thought that would be OK for him)

Take care, and prayers for your husband for a safe tour of duty.

Kfamr
07-21-2005, 10:03 PM
:( :( That's such a sad situation for both you and Boomer. I know you will find him a home that's nothing but perfect.

I'm so sorry your family is going through rough times. {HUGS}

NoahsMommy
07-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Oh no!! This must be heartbreaking for you...not only to have hubby shipped out, but to also have to find a home for sweet Boomer as well. I know how much you love that little guy.

I wish you lots of luck in finding him the perfect home.

Hugs,
Kelly

Corinna
07-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Every one has said it all, so I just will say prayers to you all and continued ones for hubby and the men and women he will be with.

sirrahbed
07-22-2005, 01:47 AM
I have been so worried that there would be something negative here and am glad there was not. Boomer can't fly out of Japan without being accompanied. Just getting from base to the Tokyo airport can take up to six hours. Missy and I talked so much about it and she worried that leaving him to a foster home and then coming back to her house would be harder for him too - he is very sweet but so skittish of new things. If he has to go to another home - I hope it is soon so she does not have to worry. She will be very picky though so it may take time - though a (both) working couple they know wants a cat - an only cat - but they are both gone so much - I really think that is fine though - lots of kitties are home all day and don't have someone with them all the time like Missy is. Oh well, that is all I wanted to say I guess.

Missy - I wish you would just delete this now. Folks have been so sweet to you so maybe take it down before anyone is critical - what do you think? You don't need approval for what you decide because I know how you have planned, bought the airline carrier a long time ago and tried to call all over about him being sent and it is not an option to just send him to us. Love you.

Those of you who posted support for Missy I want to thank you so much - I know it eased her mind to finally decide what to do - and so many more things are ahead to deal with. Our whole family on both sides back to her grandparents - grew up in the service and it can be a hard life but it is worth it. Wives just have to cope and we know this. Sometimes, folks don't know how it feels to pack up and move so often and we have hurdles that some do not know. We knew what we were getting into when we all married our spouses and it is rather like dependants are military as well sometimes.

Sorry so long winded here.:(

persianmom
07-22-2005, 08:03 AM
Missy and Paul

You are doing what is best of all of you. I know it is hard and you will miss Boome, but as everyone else has said you are making the best of a ruff sitution. Looking forward to see you all. Missy please let me know how long you would like me to stay. Right now I plan on coming home on the 22. I pray that you will be able to travel with me. If that is to long let me know here soon. I plan on buying my ticket by saturday. You may want some time to your self. My feeling will not be hurt in any way.
I love you all
Mom

sasvermont
07-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Missy, I don't post much on your threads although I do read them and love doing so. I loved watching you develop into a terrific Mom.

You are a special person, and you and your family deserve all the support necessary to get through this stressful time.

I think everyone here knows how much you love you hubby, baby and Boomer. Do what you think is best. You are such a "cool and collected" person - you will do what is the very, very best for everyone concerned.

You will be supported 100% dear one.

Take it easy,

Sallyanne and her campers....

(P. S. Rehoming is a good, good idea in my estimation.)

momcat
07-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Missy and Paul,
Please know that, as hard as this is, you're doing the best thing for Boomer. Find comfort knowing that Boomer knew nothing but love from you and he responded by being such a wonderful companion. I won't say I know how you feel because I've never been there, but I do understand that this is a tough time for all of you. I'm a deacon of my church. With your permission, I would like to include Paul to our prayer concerns. Every Sunday during our service, Paul will be held in prayer, along with others in military service. In addition, he will be remembered by our prayer team every day. My thoughts and prayers are now and will continue to be with all of you. Please know that you can count on my full support and I do mean 1 million percent! God be with each of you.....

King Spartacus
07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi Missy! I might not have replied on all your threads, but I've read most of them... Boomer is your "baby" too, and I know how hard is must have been for you to come to this conclusion, but like you, and everyone else, I also feel it would be in the best interest of Boomer in doing so. Leaving him will be hard, but atleast you know it will be the best thing for him.

I shall wish you luck in finding him a wonderful forever home! Also good luck travelling to your family back home in the states with newborn Tyler!

Best wishes to you, Tyler, Paul and Boomer.

Hugs from Sylvie, KS' mom

sirrahbed
07-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Something good! We got Missy and Tyler's ticket today and she gets to fly home with Carol!! Carol will get a few days with her Paul, too. She already had this trip planned and vacation from work but of course that plan was to do things with everyone in Japan but she decided to go anyway This makes me soooo relieved that Missy will not make that long trip alone with Tyler!! After Paul leaves, Carol will spend some time with Missy! And maybe, just maybe when Paul's remote is over - he plans to take his leave here in the states and can maybe fly HOME with Missy, too! That would be a great and happy day for them. Continental got me a ticket that Missy can change without a fee! Tyler even has his own "ticket" even though he will be in Missy and Grammy's lap. They have seats together!
Also, Missy's dad (sirrahNED) gets to meet his grandson finally!

caseysmom
07-22-2005, 12:25 PM
I don't think a kitty would mind a two working couple at all. Cats are very independent and he would probably sleep while they were gone.

My uncle just passed away and he was in the service his whole life, my aunt did and excellent job of speaking about the hardships of their life and I have a new appreciation for it.

rg_girlca
07-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Missy, my heart goes out to you on this difficult decision that you have to make, but like the others, I am behind you 100%.
To make such a long flight and long layover would be so traumatic for Boomer, knowing the type of cat that his is.
You are such a GREAT pet owner to put his welfare first. I know you will find the best home for him.

Prayers going out to your hubby, Paul, that he stays safe and prayers for you that you have the strength and faith to get you through these trying times.

I just read your post Debbie and this is such FANTASTIC news that Carol will be able to be with Missy and Tyler on such a long flight. This will make it so much more easier for the both of them.

YYYAAAYYYY that Dennis will be able to see his grandson for the first time.

(((((HUGS)))))) and prayers for everyone. :D

Sirrahsim
07-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words of support! I will be asking around at church tomorrow about a possible home for Boomer and will also be dropping a line to the couple from work. Ideally I'd like to home him with a local couple so that he NEVER has to make that transpacific flight. I'm not sure how that will go though as most cats here are indoor-outdoor and Boomer must be indoor only. We'll see. I'll be sure to pass along his window hammock and his scratchers that he loves so much. He spends most of his day in his hammock and it would be a real shame for him to have to part with that! Maybe I'll even buy a new one for them to show how important it is that he have it.
Boomer seems to know that something is up. He has been very clingy these last couple of days. I'll keep you all updated on his future.

DJFyrewolf36
07-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Just to let you know...I support you 100% too!!

It isn't fair to put Boomer through all that stress, as it seems he can be the skittish sort. I respect you for putting his needs first and foremost.

:) I'm glad you don't have to fly to the states alone. I've seen people with small children alone on airplanes and it looks like it's not an easy thing to deal with!

Have a safe trip!