PDA

View Full Version : Why do you hate Peta?

Amber
07-20-2005, 07:00 PM
Please, don't hurt me! [j/k] All I ask of is a simple explanation from your veiw.

Just wondering because I read it in a post here how some of you guys dislike peta. And I thought Peta helped animals...? yes? no?

possibly?

moosmom
07-20-2005, 07:58 PM
I don't like PETA because they are dishonest and they believe in euthanizing animals rather than let people adopt them as pets.

I was involved in a peaceful protest involving a cat killer in Connecticut who tortured and killed her roommate's cat. It WAS peaceful until a member of PETA assaulted one of the defendants. That's the other reason.

mugsy
07-20-2005, 08:03 PM
PETA is, if you look at it closely enough, nothing short of a terrorist organization.

1. They dress up in chicken suits and wait on the sidewalks for the elementary kids to get out of school and then hand them flyers with butchered chickens on them, basically terrorizing them. I know this happens because it happened at the elementary school across from the middle school where I teach.

2. They take dogs from shelters and kill them themselves. Rather than trying to find places for them to go, they just kill them. They say it's more humane than gassing....that may be true, but no attempt is made to find rescues or forever homes for them. And 2 PETA higher ups are being prosecuted for dumping dogs' bodies in dumpsters.

3. They give a bad name to people who genuinely love and care about animals. I have people who think I'm a wacko because I do dog rescue and their reasoning is that PETA is whacked out, so all animal rights people are whacked out.

4. They go out and spray paint women's fur coats...like that solves anything...the animal is already dead...go protest at the mink farms! GEEZ....doesn't take rocket science to figure that out.

I could go on, but, I would be here for days....

Lady's Human
07-20-2005, 08:05 PM
One:

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81797

Two:

They have been linked to the Earth Liberation Front and the Animal Liberation Front, two enviro-terrorist groups.

Three:

They are sensationalist and have no consience about what they do, as long as it generates publicity. For example, handing out pamphlets at children's events calling the children's mother killers for serving them meat, their advertisement using Rudy Guiliani on the billboard asking "Got Cancer" , and other thoughtless BS campaigns.

Four:

They are absolutists. They want all animals living in the wild, not as pets, farm animals, or in any other way dependent on a human.

Five:

They appear on the surface to be a genuine charity to help animals, thus reducing the gifts to shelters and other true animal charities.

I could go on further, but those are the main reasons.

mugsy
07-20-2005, 08:12 PM
OH yeah....and the billboard they put up here in Fort Wayne with a fat little kid eating a hamburger with the caption:

Letting your child eat meat is child abuse.

It didn't last long....lol

joycenalex
07-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Ohio State University had an absolutely brilliant research-teaching vet neurologist on staff-Dr Podell. Dr Podells' basic and published research into stopping canine seizures by use of rectal valium is the reason my dog, alex the wonder dog is alive today. without that research, alex would have been put to sleep almost 8 years ago, his seizures, when they start are almost uncontrollable, with the rectal valium, the seizures stop. by using this protocol, my vet and the pharmacist has the authority to give me the script to get a legally controlled substance.( i had the great pleasure of telling Dr Podell to his face thank you, without you, alex, my sweet dog, would be gone.still makes me teary to think about that day. his work saved alexs' life ). PETA decided that his other research project was inhumane. They hounded OSU to fire him, didn't work there, but he quit when the PETA people showed up at his kids' school, he left columbus, left the state and is in private practice now, hopefully saving one dog at a time, instead of thousands. the valium protocol has been adapted for human seizure control, and the research project that Dr Podell was working on when he was hounded? tramission of HIV with the usage of crystal meth..ever hear of crystal meth? the virus' that infect HIV appear to be stronger while using that drug, that work might have been useful in limiting a new outbreak of medication resistant HIV, but who knows? the research into it isn't being done now, SO HUMANS ARE DYING BECAUSE OF THOSE PETA MORONS STOPPING MEDICAL RESEARCH (i'll stop shouting now) . those people cost society dearly in their stupid behavior.
i don't hate PETA, but they cost us, and they cost us dearly.

dukedogsmom
07-20-2005, 08:47 PM
All of what they said. I think PETA is way too anal in their way of going about things.

LeahMM
07-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Much like Green Peace, way too radical for me.

Amber
07-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Are you guys !@#$%^&* serious?!

....wow, thanks for sorting that out for me. I didn't realise they did that! What really got me was how they took dogs, and killed them! wow!

lady_zana
07-21-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by mugsy

4. They go out and spray paint women's fur coats...like that solves anything...the animal is already dead...go protest at the mink farms! GEEZ....doesn't take rocket science to figure that out.

EXACTLY!! How is targeting one woman helping to stop fur industry? A woman may only buy one mink in her life; mink farms churn out pelts - they're the ones to go after!!

smokey the elder
07-21-2005, 08:46 AM
PETA comes across as hypocritical to me. Also, in my opinion, they are scientifically illiterate. The hypocrisy comes in the fact that I'm sure all of them have used a medicine that had to be first tested on animals.

They also act like terrorists sometimes.

mugsy
07-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by smokey the elder
PETA comes across as hypocritical to me. Also, in my opinion, they are scientifically illiterate. The hypocrisy comes in the fact that I'm sure all of them have used a medicine that had to be first tested on animals.

They also act like terrorists sometimes.

My sentiments exactly.

Pit Chick
07-21-2005, 09:35 AM
They put on a front about caring for ALL animals, but because of Ingrid Newkirks personal hatred towards Pit Bulls, PETA is all for the bannishment of the breed. Their twisted justification for this is that it would stop the cruel treatment of the breed by those who use them for fighting, abuse them, use them as a trendy ego boosters, etc. Ok, so Pit Bulls become extinct and another breed takes it's place as the dog de'jore, then what?

They send some good messages about certain issues and bring to light some things the general public wouldn't know about otherwise, but their approach for a lot of things is way too extreme and out of line. I don't agree with all animal testing and feel that for the really necessary stuff they could probably use death row inmates instead (what better way to find out how a medication will help or hender a human than testing it on another human;) ).

smokey the elder
07-21-2005, 10:41 AM
While testing death row inmates is tempting, there are many reasons why they are not suitable "volunteers". These have to do with the science of drug development.

I think using animals for cosmetics testing is out of bounds; these are not as high a priority.

Also, it's in the best interest of the industry to minimize animal testing. One of the reasons meds are so pricey is that animal testing is expensive!

(Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.:) )

Lady's Human
07-21-2005, 08:13 PM
The group that has "freed" testing animals in labs is the animal liberation front, ALF, that has been tied on numerous occasions to PETA.

PETA did, however, try to get March of Dimes shut down as they support scientific studies on birth defects that use animal testing. While there are things that animal testing should not be used for (cosmetics especially) there are some research projects that could not happen without animal testing, including most of the research in cures for cancer.

AdoreMyDogs
07-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Many, many years ago I read that a couple PETA activists went to a dog show and proceeded to slip anti-freeze into the water dishes of many of the show dogs who were in cages while thier owners/handlers were busy showing other dogs or taking a break. Thier reasoning was "a dead dog is better off then a caged dog". I read they ended up causing dozens of show-dog deaths from anti freeze poisoning.

Euthanizing an animal for humane reasons is one thing, killing several VERY spoiled/pampered/well taken care of and well-loved dogs simply because they spend a small percentage of thier lives in cages is quite another.

How could anyone call themselves animal lovers, how could they even live with themselves for doing such an ugly, totally unnecessary act of cruelty? They are an extreme, radical group of very violent people.

GreyhoundDaddy
07-22-2005, 03:01 AM
Here ya go.. this is all the reason ANYONE needs to dislike PETA:
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

LoudLou
07-22-2005, 04:05 AM
Penn & Teller's BullSh** on Showtime did a fantastic job exposing PETA... I think you can rent it on DVD. GREAT show!

lady_zana
07-22-2005, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Lady's Human
The group that has "freed" testing animals in labs is the animal liberation front, ALF, that has been tied on numerous occasions to PETA.

PETA did, however, try to get March of Dimes shut down as they support scientific studies on birth defects that use animal testing. While there are things that animal testing should not be used for (cosmetics especially) there are some research projects that could not happen without animal testing, including most of the research in cures for cancer.

Thank you, Lady's Human for the correction. It had been several years ago, when I was in high school and I thought I remembered how the story when but I wasn't completely sure. I don't want to credit the wrong group with such an act.

lady_zana
07-22-2005, 05:04 AM
I'm against animal testing in comestics. For those of you who are also, check out www.urbandecay.com They sell mostly teenage, sort of 'goth' products (or they used too! I haven't worn any since I was a teenager.) They don't use animal testing and are now selling a charity bracelet to stand against comestic animal testing. Here is the information from their website:

Stand against animal cruelty by purchasing this "How Could Anyone?" bracelet for only $2. The front of this purple cuff bracelet is engraved with the question "how could anyone?" with a little paw print. We're proud to add this to our cruelty-free beauty collection, and hope you'll support the cause by buying the bracelet for yourself...and all your animal-loving friends. One size fits all. Sorry, returns and discounts will not be accepted on this charity bracelet .

100% of the profits from the sale of this bracelet will be donated to The Humane Soceity of The United States, with a minimum donation of $25,000.

DONATE TODAY!!!

1 Bracelet $2
2 Bracelet $3
3 Bracelet $5

*Due to an overwhelming response to the bracelet there might be a slight delay in shipping.

kitten645
07-22-2005, 11:56 AM
While I don't agree with most of PETA's ethics, it seems to me there are so many other groups worthy of my distain. At least PETA is making a statement about animals. It amazes me that a so called "human" can abuse an animal and they get no more than a slap on the wrist..at most. It is well documented that "people" and I use the term lightly..that abuse animals arethisfaraway from abusing people. And I find the abuse of an animal MUCH more offensive than that of an adult human. They have no recourse. They have no legal rights. THey have no voice. The abuse of children and animals SHOULD be held as the worst of all offenses. It breaks my heart that a defensless animal or child should have to go thru that.
Can anyone overlook that cats are skinned alive and set on fire as a "childhood prank"? THat makes me sick.
PETA takes it to the extreme and I don't agree with that either but sometimes you have to be dramatic to make a point. Anti-gays ..white supremists, radical right or left for that matter are really a problem IMO.
While Peta advocates putting down dogs, so does society as a whole. They are "expendable" and not worthy of consideration.
As they say ..JMO. Flame on.
Kitten

mugsy
07-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Kitten,

You are limiting yourself to only having disdain for one or 2 groups? I don't think anyone thinks that the anti-Semitics, white supremesists (ok, I can't spell today), anti-gay, the Klan, the Black Panthers, whatever extremist group you're talking about doesn't deserve distain, but, that doesn't take the heat off of PETA either. What about them? They go out an viciously attack people for doing thngs that THEY don't think are right. They are literally a terrorist organization. You say that child abuse is a bad thing, what do you think PETA is doing when they accost little school children coming out of school and telling them that their mommies are murderers because they serve them meat or that they wear fur and then showing them horrific pictures so that they will have nightmares for weeks? Excuse me, I would deem that as child abuse. I guess I'm just confused as to why PETA is ok because they are supposed to be animal rights activists. You do understand that they think that ALL animals should be "free" and that they shouldn't be kept in houses or in yards that are fenced....etc.....

DJFyrewolf36
07-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Read the above posts...

PETA is a bunch of extremists. While they are bringing to light a lot of issues that need to be adressed, the approach they use is completely out of line.

I doubt many animals will be helped if PETAs extreme actions make every other animal activist look like a total whacko.

davidpizzica
07-22-2005, 03:51 PM
I've seen PETA in action. I work at a private country club. About ten years ago there was a big gala event with people driving up in limos and the women decked out in furs. Then the people from PETA showed up stopping cars and harrasing the women wearing furs. I don't know if they had cans of spray paint, but thet were sure giving everyone a hard time. This group is DEFINITELY a terrorist organization in my opinion!

K9soul
07-22-2005, 04:35 PM
I try to always see the good along with the bad in everything if at all possible, but for me I can't do it with PETA. For every "good" they do, they do plenty of other horrendous things that cancel it out. I honestly don't see how any true animal lover can support them because their goal, (total animal liberation) though they will never be able to reach it, is completely at odds with what I feel a true animal lover desires. To me, I think of an animal lover as someone who dreams of living and working surrounded by and interacting with animals. PETA's objective is to end human/animal interaction completely, even pets, therapy, and service animals. What we take joy in here at Pet Talk, the celebration of the human and pet bond, PETA's founder calls an abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation. Little of the millions of dollars they raise goes towards actually helping animals, it goes to their campaigning against things they will never be able to stop, i.e. the eating of meat, the wearing of fur, stopping fishing, stopping insulin production for diabetics and other medical practices, and on and on.

I feel if people support and send them money, they are condoning and supporting ALL of PETA's practices, the vile along with the "good."

lizbud
07-22-2005, 04:47 PM
The whole thread is so pointless. Nobody is going to convince
anyone else where the truth lies, but I guess it's good for people
with a lot of hate stored up to vent occasionaly. Keeps them from
blowing up any innocent bystanders. :p

Another viewpoint:

http://all-creation.franciscan-anglican.com/peta.htm

K9soul
07-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
but I guess it's good for people

That comment was quite uncalled for. Please do not imply that me or others with opinions against PETA have "a lot of hate stored up" or are prone to blow up innocent bystanders. You can post your opinions without personally judging and attacking people who feel differently.

lizbud
07-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by K9soul

That comment was quite uncalled for. Please do not imply that me or others with opinions against PETA have "a lot of hate stored up" or are prone to blow up innocent bystanders. [/B]

I was referring to spontaneous combustion.:confused:

DJFyrewolf36
07-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Lizbud, I have to say that I am in agreement with the alternative viewpoint as well. I do know that PETA has an awful lot of GOOD people working for them but they do have some bad people that make everyone associated with them look like nuts.

kitten645
07-22-2005, 06:02 PM
Mugsy..
I said I don't agree with the extremest actions taken by any group. I happen to be EXTREMELY anti fur. But I don't think you should blow up a Neiman Marcus. But to make people aware of what they are supporting (I know many don't know the way animals are killed) isn't a bad thing. I never said I supported PETA. But I think there are alot worse things out there. I was there on 9/11 and THAT is worth venting over.
Kitten
PS Lizbud..I agree..I just see so many PETA posts and I always just thought it was worth a mention on the other side..though I'm not really the other side...as I said.

lizbud
07-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
Lizbud, I have to say that I am in agreement with the alternative viewpoint as well. I do know that PETA has an awful lot of GOOD people working for them but they do have some bad people that make everyone associated with them look like nuts.

There are also some bad people in the military, in government,
and many other large groups, but that doesn't mean the group
or organization is no good.

kitten645
07-22-2005, 06:13 PM
I happen to agree with all your points ...
Kitten

DJFyrewolf36
07-22-2005, 06:35 PM
I know Lizbud. However, you have to admit that because the government, military ect. does have its share of bad apples (as all orginizations do) many people think the whole orginization is bad.

I don't think PETA is all bad, in fact I know of a lot of good things they have done. My point was that the reason a lot of people just jump to saying ALL of PETA is bad is because of the few people who are bad and get attention. Letter writers don't make good news unfortuneatly.

I do think they need to get some of thier people under control...and I think they need to re-evaluate some of thier arguements. Perhaps more people would be for their cause if they weren't being so extreme.

mugsy
07-22-2005, 07:09 PM
I do have friends that are PETA members, so, I guess I could say that not all PETA members are bad, however, their basic philosophy is down right ignorant and their higher ups are raving lunatics.

I am all about animal rights, I wouldn't spend 40+ hours a week on top of going to school and working full time saving animals in shelters all over IN and coordinating transports to get them where they are safe or Mike and I driving almost every weekend to get dogs and cats to safety if I weren't. However, PETA stands in my way. Not only do they themselves kill companion animals, but, the fruit loop members that are out there scaring the bejesus out of little kids and attacking women wearing fur, and vandalizing buildings make those of us who are TRYING to make this country no kill adoptable for companion animals less viable in many Americans' minds.

I'm sorry, but, I find no good in PETA....period. There is nothing peaceful about the organization. Violent, destructive protests are all important to them so that they can draw attention to themselves. Then they spend all the money that unsuspecting animal lovers donate on crap like those protests and nothing goes to the animals and worse yet, those people might have donated money to their local shelter for food, leashes, collars, beds, etc, but instead they donate to a terrorist organizatin...just like those our country is trying to fight.

lady_zana
07-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
To me, I think of an animal lover as someone who dreams of living and working surrounded by and interacting with animals.

... we take joy in here at Pet Talk, the celebration of the human and pet bond....

Wow, I just wanted to say that those two statements are beautiful. I don't think you could have worded it any better. "The celebration of the human and pet bond..." I don't know what to say other than that statement is so beautiful and poetic. :)

(Sorry, I have an English major and I'm a writer. I get mushy over words. ;) )

finn's mom
07-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Amber learned why some people don't like PETA, therefore this thread is by no means pointless. I think that PETA does do some good, but, for the most part, I disagree with their goals and their attempts at reaching them.

And, I also agree that Jessica's words were very touching and beautiful. :)

Vette
07-23-2005, 10:10 PM
They say they love animals and are all for animals rights and stuff...

but what they really are... is a bunch of jerks wearing a T-shirt that says (I love animals) with a knife in the other hand slautering the animal they are 'supposed' to love help.

all becasue they believe all animals should be out running free.. and cant possibly be happy living with a human. :rolleyes:

senorita02
07-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Well my Dad owns a fur store here and he inherited from my Grandpa when he was a young man, in his early 20's , anyway, i will once in a while go in to his store to help him when it is busy , he is almost 70 now, and i dont like fur coats and dont wear them, but im there to help my Dad, anyway, the place gets vandalized by Peta a lot of the time, and they stand out front once in a while screaming obscenitys at the customers, and giving rude hand gestures,etc. And my thing is a lot of them are fat , like real fat, so what gives, they have not gotten that fat on veggies LOL i imagine their eating meat, and wearing leather on their shoes,etc. besides, i didnt kill a animal like i said i was their helping my Dad, these people do make me sick, but who makes me sicker are the ones actually killing the animals.

I feel like alot of the people protesting animal killings, fur etc, are proabably eating meat, or going fishing, which is still killing a living breathing thing, or wearing something or using something that was tested on animals. If your not doing any of those thigns then fine go ahead and protest, but taking dogs from sheltersand killing them ???!!! That needs to be protested, from those sick people! What the hell is that proving???

davidpizzica
07-24-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm curious to know how many PETA members have cars with leather interiors or have leather wallets or purses? I bet alot of them do. I'm sure there are alot of hypocrites at PETA!

finn's mom
07-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by senorita02
And my thing is a lot of them are fat , like real fat, so what gives, they have not gotten that fat on veggies LOL i imagine their eating meat,

I completely agree with a lot of what you said in your post. But, really, this is not a very nice thing to say at all. People can and do become overweight or obese by eating products other than meat. And, vegetarians don't just eat vegetables. Breads and pastas can be some of the most fattening foods available. And, some people have problems with metabolism or thyroid. And, again, I feel like most of your comment is appropriate and taken directly from your personal experience with PETA. I don't have anything against you or your dad for being involved in the fur business. I just thought the comment about fat people was pretty rude and unfair.

mugsy
07-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Honestly, most PETA members are vegan, so dairy and eggs are out too. And most members of PETA do not wear leather of any kind or have it in their cars, but, that doesn't mean that the organization is not grossly flawed and hypocritical, because they are. There are some members of PETA that are naive enough to believe that the organization is in it for the animals, but most are just in it to cause trouble and make honest animal rights people look bad.

Cheshirekatt
07-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
The whole thread is so pointless. Nobody is going to convince
anyone else where the truth lies, but I guess it's good for people

Another viewpoint:

http://all-creation.franciscan-anglican.com/peta.htm

Talk about hate stored up.

senorita02
07-24-2005, 08:37 PM
I'd like to apologize if i offended anyone, i didnt mean it to be a crass comment towards overwieght people. Your right it was more of a comment from a personal experience i had, all i was trying to say was Peta can be hypocrytes (sp??) i guess i used a bad example, sorry.

finn's mom
07-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by senorita02
all i was trying to say was Peta can be hypocrytes (sp??)

for sure! ;)