PDA

View Full Version : tips needed on cleaning/remodeling metal crate

lv4dogs
07-20-2005, 02:08 PM
I had a crate given to me that I plan on using as a crate for my new puppy. Since the pup is going to work with me this crate will be kept there. (I have a brand new one for home but thought it would be much easier if I had one for work so I didn't have to set up, tear down & transport the other crate multiple times a day).
This "work crate" is in great shape physically but it's looks are another thing. lol

It is a gold colored metal crate w/ drop pins. The metal has all these white dots/film type things on it, which I think is the metal oxidizing. I have tried everything to remove these, from scrubbing with different cleaners, even a cleaner made for boats just for oxidization. I tried rubbing it off with brillo pads, this fine wire stuff almost like brillo pads & wire brushes. The wire brushes seemed to worked the best but I still can't get it all off.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what this film/dots could be and how to remove it.

Do you think that I could have it sandblasted or would that ruin the metal?

Does anyone know of any durable pet safe spray paints? Do you think that the paint would bond to the metal?

Has anyone else had this problem?

beeniesmom
07-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Hi, I did the same with Beenie (crate for home and one for work).
I wouldn't reccomend painting the crate. I wouldn't know about sandblasting.
Is it really horrible? If it's not, just leave it alone. It'll probably go under your desk right?
If not, you could buy some pretty cloth and cover the tope and sides of it.

lv4dogs
07-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Actually it's not going under my desk, Raustyk claimed that spot years ago. lol (I bring all my dogs to work with me). He's getting his own space along a wall.

Since I work in the automotive business I spoke to a bunch of auto body people. One guy inparticular did a lot of research and just now finally got some answers. (figures right after I post about it, after researching for weeks lol).
The metal can be sandblasted & he found some pet safe paint. He's going to sandblast & paint it for me.
The puppy will only be in his crate some of the times & I will be right next to him so I can be extra safe & make sure he doesn't chew or lick it.

Just to be on the safe side he's gonna test a small sopt on the bottom (under the tray), and if he's not happy with the results he will leave it.
In that case your reply comes in awful handy (THANK YOU), i'll get a cover made for it.