PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Cage and Litterbox?

AlleyCat
07-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Hi! Our Abby was re-spayed today. See:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80156

for full details. Turns out some right ovarian tissue was left behind and was removed. But she's got an ugly, large incision! :(

Anyhow, she's very unsteady right now and I have her in a 3x3x4 cage. But it's too small for her and a litterbox without her falling over into that litterbox.

Any suggestions on how to keep her comfortable? Should I let her have the run of a room? I just don't want her tryng to jump on any furniture right now.

jenluckenbach
07-19-2005, 05:48 PM
It would be better to keep her caged until she is staedy on her feet. You can line the cage with something absorbant then if she needs to go just clean it up. Or a small cardboard box with litter. She won't be in their long enough to need to do a whole lot in it.

Hope she feels better soon.

catmandu
07-19-2005, 05:55 PM
THAT,IS TERRIBLE,THAT YOUR POOR CAT,HAS TO UNDERGO,THIS TRAUMATIC OPERATION TWICE,AND WE ARE PRAYING,THAT SHE MAKES A FULL RECOVERY.

THAT IS AN AWFUL PROCEDURE,TO HAVE ,TO DO AGAIN,AWFUL.

AlleyCat
07-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks Gary, it was awful that she had to do this twice. One benefit of adopting from a shelter means your pets are already spayed and you don't have to undergo the worry that comes with having a procedure, but guess that didn't happen for us! :(

Thanks too, Jen -- I will keep her in her cage for now and if she goes potty, then so be it -- no big deal to clean up.

lv4dogs
07-20-2005, 08:01 AM
I'd reccomend you put her in a small room (bathroom, large closet etc...) or a large dog crate.
Leaving her in a small carrier with no litter box may make her hold her urine causing an infection. It may also teach her not to use a box altogether.

As soon as she is steady on her feet I'd move her into a larger room & keep her there for a bit. If she is in pain she should know enough to be calm.

Did you ever find out if the shelter will reimburse you?

Good luck. I hope she has a safe & speedy recovery.

furrykidsmother
07-20-2005, 08:04 AM
No suggestions just sending good wishes for a speedy recovery!!

AlleyCat
07-20-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks for your well wishes! I left her in a large crate overnight and set the alarm for every 2 hours during the night to check on her and put her in a litterbox I had nearby so that she could go. She is up and about this morning, confined to one room still but looking better. The vet that did her original spay did the re-spay at no cost to us. They found ovarian tissue that was left behind which is what was causing her heats. Thanks all!

catmandu
07-20-2005, 09:28 AM
THE MISTER ANGELS SCRAPPY,AND FLUFFY,AHVE BEEN THERE HELPING ABBY RECOVER,WITH THIER GENTLEMANLY CAT WAYS,THAT WAY,THEY DID,FOR YEARS,WITH ALL THE YOUNG CAT,THAT MOVED,INTO THE HOTEL.

THEY WILL BE WITH ABBY,UNTIL SHE,IS A LOT BETTER,AND FULLY RECOVERED.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/SAMPREC.jpg

ITS PRECIOUS DAY,THE LITTLE FLAME POINT,IS 9.

kittycats_delight
07-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Poor Abby to have to go through that surgery twice....blech....poor girly. I guess Mr. Vet needs to be more careful with his spays huh? And I would hope he did do it at no cost to you guys. It was his fault to begin with that he missed anything. Hope Abby's recovery is quick and easy and that she is back to her old self in no time.

Kisses and cuddles for Abby. :)