PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Get Cat to Drink Water? Bladder Infection.

cruisetime
07-19-2005, 02:50 PM
I took Meka to the White Coats yesterday and she has a bladder infection and is now on antibiotics. How can I get her to drink more water? Is Distilled water better? The only way I know is to feed her the water off the can tuna and I have but that is now old to her and she don't want it - not old water just decides now she wants something else. Any ideas? By the way Meka is real picky about clean litter so the doctor thinks with the weather change and I missed cleaning the litter one day she held her urine too long and got an infection. Meka does hold it too - I've seen her. I clean the boxes totally once a day but I guess it will now be twice a day...... Debbie

Craftlady
07-19-2005, 02:55 PM
I'd get a water fountain made by PetMate is one manufacture.
Run the water in the sink.

kittycats_delight
07-19-2005, 02:56 PM
I always used bottled water. My girls have been drinking more since I switched. Also where it is hot I have been putting ice cubes in it and they will drink when the ice go in and start to melt. I guess it is cooler and more refreshing so they like that. If she is not drinking a lot maybe mix some water with her food.

I am sure others will have other advice.

mruffruff
07-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Try a tablespoon of milk in a half cup of water. It's not enough milk to harm the cat, but they like the taste. Unless your water is sulphuric smelling, tap water is just fine.

moosmom
07-19-2005, 03:05 PM
I have a PetMate fountain and my cats love it! I give them only filtered water that is filtered a second time by the fountain.

You might want to try giving her some water through a syringe.

Poor baby! :( I hope she feels better soon.

catmandu
07-19-2005, 06:29 PM
I WOULD TRY,THE WATER FONTAIN,AS WELL,AND I BROUGHT HOME SOME PERRIER,ANDTHEY,WOULDNT TOUCH IT.NOT EVEN,THE THIRSTY PORCH CATS,WOULD HAVE ANYTHING,TO DO,WITH IT,I WAS AMAZED!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture479.jpg

cruisetime
07-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone. I bought a can of Salmon and drained that juice into water and she drank some. I actually saw her go to the water bowl once last night and praised her good!!! :) She seemed to be better but not well yet. Does anyone know how long bladder infections last? Thank you all, Debbie

Craftlady
07-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Usually by time the antibotics are finished the infection is gone.
However long the vet has precribed the medication duration.

lv4dogs
07-20-2005, 11:06 AM
You can also try diluting broth with water. Beef or chicken & you can even try the bullion cubes.

Barbara
07-20-2005, 01:48 PM
With the antibiotics it is very importnat that they take it as long as the vet says (all of the pills.) Meka will be better soon, but the infection is still lurking under the surface. So it's finishing the meds.

For Tigris I put a little water in his food- the only way to get him to drink.

carole
07-21-2005, 01:59 AM
A very simple solution is to buy a syringe, and give kitty squirts every so often, that way you can measure the amount of water kitty is getting and ensure that kitty gets water whether they like it or not, I have done this with Ash when I thought he was de-hydrated, worked a dream, good luck and if the other things don't work this one will for sure, and they really don't even mind it much either.:)