PDA

View Full Version : Should I go back to school? I need advice...

JenBKR
07-19-2005, 10:53 AM
I was wondering if any of you have ever been in this position. I have a bachelor's degree in psychology, but I have never actually worked in the field. I graduated a year ago. I have an office job that I really enjoy, but would like to use my degree. Problem is, everyone seems to want a higher degree or experience. I was just accepted at a grad school, and can't decide whether or not to go. It's a LOT of work, and I don't know if I am up to it. On the other hand, I would like to have a master's degree. I am really driving myself crazy...any advice?? :confused: :confused:

caseysmom
07-19-2005, 10:57 AM
I say go for it, you will never regret getting more education and you may never have that chance again.

catnapper
07-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Who says you have to go back fulltime? Why not stay at the job you currently enjoy and go to school at night? It takes longer, but you're still doing it. And if you decide to hate your job, you can always quit and enroll fulltime.

lizbud
07-19-2005, 11:26 AM
I'll say go back to school for the grad degree if you really want
to work in that field. You won't be sorry.:)

JenBKR
07-19-2005, 11:31 AM
I guess I'm just scared...the program I was accepted to is two classes a semester, all year, one night a week. It would take 2 1/2 years to complete. What scares me most is the internship...I have to carry malpractice insurance. I don't know why I am so scared but I really keep going back and forth...

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Go.

catnapper
07-19-2005, 12:03 PM
I'd go -- especially if its a 2 1/2 year part time program to get the masters. Change is scary, but worth it. In life, when you're old and look back, you'll never regret the tings you did nearly as much as the things you DIDN'T do.

Karen
07-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Go for it, girl! The courses are one night a week, so the program sounds like it is meant to be for working adults, which is good. And several people I know - granted, not in your field of endeavor, anyway - said Grad school was much easier than college for them. And it's ALL what you are interested in, which makes it better.

catland
07-19-2005, 01:49 PM
What can it hurt to try for a semester?

2 and 1/2 years seems like forever right now, but just concentrate on one semester at a time.

JenBKR
07-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by catland
What can it hurt to try for a semester?

2 and 1/2 years seems like forever right now, but just concentrate on one semester at a time.

That's true, I can go and give myself an "easy-out" - if I don't like it I don't have to stick with it. I just feel like I have been in school for sooo long...it actually took me 7 years to get my bachelor's degree. At first I didn't know what I wanted to do, so I took classes in several different fields to decide. Then, I went to school part time and worked. It was really hectic.

Kfamr
07-19-2005, 02:07 PM
I think the only person who can truthfully answer this question is you. You sound like you want to go. If you do decide to go, and end up not liking it, what's it going to hurt?

I know if I had the money and opportunity to go, i'd go! Good luck and hopefully you make a decision you're happy with. :)

finn's mom
07-19-2005, 02:10 PM
I think it sounds like a chance worth taking. A great opportunity, for sure. Good luck, though, in whatever you decide. Just make the most out of the direction you take, whichever it is!

JenBKR
07-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate the encouragement. I think that part of my problem is that I am getting pretty ready to have a baby (I've been married for 5 years)...I know that I can wait a few more years for that though. Just hope hubby can! I know, I keep making excuses. Thanks again for your help!

Cataholic
07-19-2005, 04:54 PM
From someone that WAS in that position, at the age of 29, 7 years or so ago- GO. You will not regret it. Yes it was hard, but, well worth it.

joycenalex
07-19-2005, 06:04 PM
go! more education is always good.

Oggyflute
07-20-2005, 01:10 AM
Yep, do it. You won't regret it at all. If I can finish a two year management course at 40, I'm sure you will just breeze it in.:)