PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Hometown Known For?

jennifert9
07-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Collin and I recently gave a "mini-orientation" of our new hometown area to some employees that he hired for the building here in York. They are both originally from Syracuse NY, also our hometown! :) We just showed them around and pointed out things like the mall and Wal-mart, grocery stores, the movie theaters, restaurants, things like that...
It's funny though because they made almost the same type of comments and asked the same questions as we did when we first moved here! It made me start thinking...
In Syracuse, there is a grocery store called Wegmans. I know it is in PA,(nowhere near here though) NJ, VA, NY and soon to be MD. Does anyone have one near them? Lucky ducks if you do!! Anyway, it's the BEST grocery store, it really is! In all the places I have lived and traveled, I have never seen a store that even compares to a Wegmans grocery store. It's cool, you can check it out at www.wegmans.com if you want.
Anyway, these guys were disappointed in the grocery stores here as one would expect growing up with Wegmans everywhere. Syracuse also has these GREAT hot dogs called Hoffmann hot dogs and coneys that you can only buy in upstate NY as far as I know. I have family that drives up from Virginia a few times a year and stocks up on them! Collin and I usually buy about 10 packs when we go home too! (We are all out right now :( but our friends are bringing some this weekend!! :)) Syracuse also has salt potatos which I have never seen anywhere else either! They are just small white potatos but you cook them with a ton of salt and dip them in butter...ummm they are so good!
I can't think af anything else that Syracuse is known for except maybe the men's basketball and lacrosse teams, the NY State Fair!, the 2nd biggest mall in the US...

So I wondered if your hometown is known for something and what it is? I know each town has their own personality, what is it you would miss if you were away from home?
It will be interesting to hear and learn a little about everyone's hometowns! :D

finn's mom
07-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know much about Columbia's history or whatever. Lake Murray is a big lake, that's about all I can say. Gosh, that's sad. Oh, but, there's a sign when I'm heading home that says....Irmo, town of the okra strut....or something like that. ;) Don't know how famous it is, but, it's fun to say!

jennifert9
07-18-2005, 10:26 PM
LOL!! That is funny! What is the Okra Strut, I wonder? Some kind of dancing vegetable?

Kari, this is totally off the topic and I should PM you but I am on this old computer so PMing takes F O R E V E R!! But I heard a song on the radio today that reminded me of you...I have no idea who sings it but it was on the local Top 40 channel and the lyrics were something about how the singer wants someone to come back to Texas, it's not the same without you, blah, blah, blah...he names all these famous Texans and Texas "things" but the chorus is "come back to Texas please, we miss you" or something like that anyway!! So I thought of you and thought it would be a good song for Ben to dedicate to you...didn't you meet him when you lived in Texas?!

Anyway, back to hometowns!! ;)

catnapper
07-18-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm originally from Philadelphia... that one's easy! Hoagies and cheesesteaks! Even here is Reading, which is only 60 miles away, you cannot get a true Philly steak. It just doesn't exist.

Here in Reading, we have Pretzels. Soft pretzels, hard pretzels, you name it. There's a place called "unique pretzels" that makes the BEST hard pretzels. Name your flavoring - they have it. Their "Xtra salt" ones are unbelievable. My somn lives for the jalepeno pretzel.

We also have Icy Tea - which must have crack in it because its so addictive --- watch out for that one Jen! Don't even start drinking it. :D I gave it up at Christmas time and I swear beating drugs or cigarette must be easier han beating Icy Tea. Only around here would someone understand that statement and two people can go into long conversations based on just this iced tea. It NUTS!

slleipnir
07-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Potatoes and red soil?? lol. We have the best potatoes though..mm...

Karen
07-18-2005, 10:39 PM
I grew up in North Oxford, Massachusetts - the birthplace of Clara Barton, the founder of the American Red Cross, the "Angel of the Battlefield," and other myriad accomplishments.

When you grow up down the street from Clara Barton birthplace, your schoolbus travels down Clara Barton Road, and you go to Clara Barton Elementary School, you grow up thinking she's one of the most famous women ever.

Oxford was the settling place for Huguenots - Protestants thrown out of Catholic France. It was "established" three times - first two settlements were wiped out by the Nipmuc (Native Americans).

Oxford was the birthplace of Elliott Joslin, a pioneering doctor in the treatment of diabetes.

These days, it's where Dad lives. No food landmarks, um - there's a big flood control project, where on many years you can tell how wet the winter was by how soon the water retreats from the pitcher's mound of the baseball field ...

jennifert9
07-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Audrey, isn't PEI the smallest Canadian province? Or am I crazy and have no idea what I am talking about? :D;)
Kim, is Icy tea the brand name of this crack/tea? I haven't seen it if it is but I will look for it now! Turkey Hill Iced Tea seems to be the crowd favorite here but since I am from the north, a "yankee" as Collin and I have been called TWICE since we've been here, I drink my tea unsweetened and with no lemon. I feel like I'm mixing up a witches brew in my kitchen and God forbid any of the neighbors decide to get friendly finally and ask for a glass!! We'll be sent back to NY! :D
BTW, Collin says he won't drink or eat anything with "turkey" in the brand name! Guess that means I get the whole 1/2 gallon of ice cream I just bought to myself!! ;)

petslover
07-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Birthplace of Elvis Presley! :D

catnapper
07-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Yum, Turkey Hill ice cream is great! Their iced tea is ok, not great, just ok. I'm a conneseur of iced tea! ;)

Icy Tea is the brand name. It should be available by you. You won't find it at Sheetz, WaWa or TurkeyHill because they all sell their own brands. It amazes me that I even got hooked; I too only drink black iced tea. Its a fine recipe I have --- nuke a mug of water with a tea bag for one-minute-20, then fill a tall glass with ice, pour nuked tea in glass... ta da! Instant iced tea! I always feel most bottled drinks are too sweet. Even most juices. So WHY I fell for this iced tea concoction of PURE sugar is beyond me!

I can't believe people called you yankees! LOL

K9karen
07-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Philly-delphia is also known for "Scrapple" (which I wouldn't touch w/a ten foot pole but people swear by it). Seriously, I had clients from GB and they had hoagies and cheesesteaks and nearly fell over! You haven't eaten until you consume a few of those!
Of course there's the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross' house, Independence Hall, Valley Forge and lots of historical sights. I'd rather talk about food, though... ;) :D :p

jennifert9
07-18-2005, 11:18 PM
YUP, people called us Yankees!! Funny isn't it? Granted Collin has Jersey plates on his car and I have NY plates on mine so it's a dead giveaway!! We ran into some folks at the laundromat that REALLY took offense to my plates...I have no idea why but as soon as we walked in they whispered loudly, "Oh, they think they're so great because they're from the Big City..." And the ironic part is that we're NOT from the "Big City" at all!! LOL!!

A funny thing happened today too with the mailwoman. She came up to our front porch as we were leaving and asked us if the neighbors were home. I told her that I didn't know but that their car wasn't there so I would assume they weren't. She said, "Do they only have one vehicle?" I told her, "no I think they have 2 but I don't see either one." So Collin and I went on our way to the pool and a few minutes later he turns to me and says "what did she ask you?' I repeated it. Turns out he didn't understand the word "vehicle" when she said it. She said it like vee-HICKLE, like pickle instead of like veh-icle. I don't know if I'm explaining that right but it was funny that he didn't understand her! :D

And once again...I'm off topic!! LOL!! I should probably emntion what my new town is known for too since it's only fair! Kim, you would probably know better than I but York has the largest Harley-Davidson factory(big draw for people to visit us so we milk that one!), York Barbell which I understand is world-famous in certain circles, Three-Mile Island is nearby although I don't know if that is good or bad...some of the bugs here are REALLY big!! LOL!! And I don't know what else...?

Fox-Gal
07-18-2005, 11:29 PM
There's not much my town is known for except the 12 hours of Sebring, races.

Once a years we get hit with race fans and this little town turns into wall to wall cars and people. I do my best to stay home on those days, Races fans are nuts. :eek:

We are also known for our Caladium fields. 95% of all Caladiums are grown here. Right on my road. It's so neat to drive my road, when they are in full bloom. One grower, plants his, so it looks like a quilt, with all the different colors of plants. Then ever year we have the Caladium festival. Fun.

The only other thing I can think of is we have the 4th largest lake in Florida and it's known for it's Osprey, (Totally spelled wrong, I think) it's a bird. They look just like Eagles, sort of, only small. People come from all around in time for the babies to fly off, just to watch.

CountryWolf07
07-18-2005, 11:30 PM
St. Louis - the Arch :)

davidpizzica
07-18-2005, 11:40 PM
I'm from Pittsburgh! Home of the Steelers and the Pirates. WE're famous for being the home of H.J. Heinz, Islays chipped/chopped ham, and steel production. WE're NOT the smoky city anymore!

IRescue452
07-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Cheese! and many many casper white Dutch people in one place. Little Chute- home of the Great American Cheese Fest and where every single yard has a blue and white windmill with tulips and wooden shoes painted on. We're even getting a giant working windmill/flour mill put up for a tourist attraction. You can see it from our windows. Great that will really boost our home's value. :rolleyes:

aly
07-19-2005, 02:01 AM
Austin is known as the "live music capital of the world" (don't remember if the "of the world" part is really part of the title, but I think it is). Lots of great live music all the time.

We have 2 of the BEEEEST grocery stores here. I'm not really sure if you could even call them a grocery store, they are that darn good - Whole Foods and Central Market. Central Market is an upscale, pricier place with organic and health foods, very fresh fruits and vegetables, and lots of imported things that you wouldn't find at a normal grocery store. It also has a cafe in it. Whole Foods is pretty similar. It wasn't as impressive until it just opened up a new store (national headquarters) that is AMAZING. It has an underground parking garage (multiple levels) with escalators leading up into this HUGE store. They've got stations all around the store with different unique fresh food items. They always have chili and soups out, roasted nuts, chocolate fountains with the highest quality chocolates, and much more. Whole Foods is international, but since it is headquartered in Austin and they built this esquisite headquarter store, I thought I'd mention it. Schlotsky's Deli was also founded in Austin.

I think we're also known for our BBQ. I've seen places from around here on Food Network shows a lot.

Oh yes, and there is a place an hour and a half away that makes Blue Bell ice cream... yuuum.

Giselle
07-19-2005, 02:16 AM
Oakland? Are you kidding me? I'm pretty sure we're famous for our high crime rate :p

Other than that...I'd say we're known for the Raiders annnnd, well, now we have an Inn-N-Out! Mmmm, love that place.:D

finn's mom
07-19-2005, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by jennifert9
LOL!! That is funny! What is the Okra Strut, I wonder? Some kind of dancing vegetable?

So I thought of you and thought it would be a good song for Ben to dedicate to you...didn't you meet him when you lived in Texas?!

And, I've heard of Turkey struts before.....but, never an okra strut. I guess maybe it's just an organized walk or something (Strutting), but, I could be wrong......I'll have to ask!

And, that would be a good song for Ben! Yeah, we met in Texas. He doesn't like country music, though, so, he might have issues with the song. Ha. ;) Thanks for thinkin of me, though!

joycenalex
07-19-2005, 06:02 AM
columbus ohio-FOOTBALL!! the civic religion of columbus ohio, any stranger can chat up another by talking about the buckeyes, columbus is the fast food testing center of america, almost every chain restaurant tries it out here first...we had the mcrib sandwich first from mcdonalds(OY!) and of course, political corruption in the statehouse.

Pam
07-19-2005, 06:45 AM
I was born in Philadelphia, although now I live right across the river in New Jersey. The only thing I think you guys left out about Philadelphia is the Mummers Parade. It's really something to see, especially if you get to see it in person rather than on TV. What costumes! Oh, I almost forgot - Rocky movies too and Patty LaBelle and Bill Cosby are all Philly natives not to mention Fabian, Frankie Avalon and Bobby Rydell (some of you younger PTers may have never heard of them. They were popular when I was in high school back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. :p )

Kim, I never heard of Icy Tea. Where do you get it? Is it a "Reading thing?" :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-19-2005, 06:56 AM
My hometown Lochristi is wellknown for its flowers. In fact it is the centre of the flower-region!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/flowering%203.jpg

Lots of flower-fields everywhere you look! Mostly begonia and azalea. Lochristi's flowers are always used in the flowercarpet on the Grand Place in Brussels.
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/brussel-grotemarkt.jpg
it is breathtaking!!

slleipnir
07-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Audrey, isn't PEI the smallest Canadian province? Or am I crazy and have no idea what I am talking about? :D;)

Yup, you're crazy.

hehe, no, I'm kidding. As far as I know, it is the smallest province but also has the highest population density. We're crazy little buggers over here.

GraciesMommy
07-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Deer Park is the "birthplace" of Texas...has the monument dedicated for the Battle of San Jacinto..where Sam Houston fought

kuhio98
07-19-2005, 11:14 AM
Hmmm... Anchorage, Alaska
I guess it's known for being a meeting place for Alaskan Natives and for being mapped by Captain James Cook? (Before he wisely sailed for Hawaii to warm up). :p

beeniesmom
07-19-2005, 11:22 AM
The town I live in now is famous for it's annual Shrimp Festival.

Buddy Blaze Lover
07-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Obviously, Kentucky is known for its awesome thoroughbred racing and horses, as well as Kentucky basketball! And what about those white picket fences and rolling hills...and bluegrass too!;) We are also home of the longest cave system in the world: Mammoth Caves! I love it!!:D

DJFyrewolf36
07-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Carson City is known for being one of Nevadas RUDEST towns lol!
I'm not kidding, most people really don't like staying in Carson for that reason.

We are just a little ways from Lake Tahoe, one of the prettiest places there is. The lake is wonderful to swim in in the summer and the skiing is world famous.

PJ's Mom
07-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by aly
Austin is known as the "live music capital of the world" (don't remember if the "of the world" part is really part of the title, but I think it is). Lots of great live music all the time.

It is. ;)

Oh yes, and there is a place an hour and a half away that makes Blue Bell ice cream... yuuum.

That's worth looking into. :D

sirrahbed
07-19-2005, 03:21 PM
San Angelo Texas is home of tornados, dust storms, Angelo State University, Goodfellow AFB and the rattle snake roundup:eek:

shutterbug0303
07-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Well, my birthplace was Pittsburgh, PA so just reference David's post (ketchup, steel, etc)

But my small little town now...

Calabash, NC - Seafood Capital of the World!

:D

LeahMM
07-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Seattle is known for the rain, the space needle, and the WTO riots.

animal_rescue
07-19-2005, 07:20 PM
I was born in Naperville, Ill but I don't know anything about it, since we moved when I was 1. But where I live now is by Oprah's house which I have to say, I have never been to! Also I live on Lake Michigan, and we have a forest park or something like that called Mt. Baldy.. a huge freagin sand hill with trees around it! You have to climb it to get over to the beach!

wolflady
07-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Gilroy, California where I live is known for Garlic. Who would have thought I'd be living in the Garlic capitol of the United States?

Our annual garlic festival (http://www.gilroygarlicfestival.com/) is coming up at the end of the month! :p

dukedogsmom
07-19-2005, 07:31 PM
My birth town I guess would be most known for the Chattanooga Choo Choo. Now, it's Cypress Gardens (http://cypressgardens.com/welcome.asp)

Shelteez2
07-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Well my city is known for the Calgary Stampede (http://calgarystampede.com/), the greatest outdoor show on Earth... ;)

And if you're into hockey.... then we are known for the Calgary Flames.... and if you were really into hockey then we are also known for The Red Mile.... good times, good times..... :D

Suki Wingy
07-19-2005, 11:31 PM
GBN, the "hazing school" or whatever that was a few years back. People still joke, they say things like, "Hey, that's hazing!" to everything. The school really is good though. We have block scheduling!

K9karen
07-20-2005, 12:42 AM
Gracie's mommy..would you believe I've been to Deerpark? My account was Rohm and Haas and I opened up a travel office for them in the facility, one sweltering week in August many years ago! I commuted everyday from the Hilton on Nasa Bay Blvd in Houston!

anna_66
07-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Piqua isn't really known for anything (at least not that I know of!)
If your interested in reading about it, Here's a link (http://www.piquaoh.org/about.htm)

But Piqua isn't my "hometown" my hometown (where I was born) is Chicago. And it's "The Windy City":D

Pawsitive Thinking
07-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Dear old Eastbourne (www.eastbourne.org) is best known as a place where people come to retire/die! Always mentioned in sit-coms when someone wants to ship Granny off to a home - but I love it anyway! :p

Kfamr
07-20-2005, 10:38 AM
There's nothing that I know of that we're "known for" in Palm Harbor. I do know that years ago Palm Harbor was one of the headquarters for the KKK. Nothing to be proud of. :p

iceyshiver21
07-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Schwan's Ice Cream started here in Marshall, MN.

Cataholic
07-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Jerry Springer and The Cincinnati Reds, including the betting on baseball debacle......what else could there be? Trash TV and illegal betting-long live Cincinnati. :D

joycenalex
07-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Jerry Springer and The Cincinnati Reds, including the betting on baseball debacle......what else could there be? Trash TV and illegal betting-long live Cincinnati. :D

HEY!!! you forgot skyline chili**BURP**:p

cocker_luva
07-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Batavia is the Windmill Capital of the World. (whoopee :rolleyes: )

also its called the City of Energy because the Fermilab is located here.

ParNone
07-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Home of the famous Apollo 13 quote "Houston, we have a problem" and 2/3rds of the original Charlie's Angels hail from here. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
07-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Collin and I recently gave a "mini-orientation" of our new hometown area to some employees that he hired for the building here in York. They are both originally from Syracuse NY, also our hometown! :) We just showed them around and pointed out things like the mall and Wal-mart, grocery stores, the movie theaters, restaurants, things like that...
It's funny though because they made almost the same type of comments and asked the same questions as we did when we first moved here! It made me start thinking...
In Syracuse, there is a grocery store called Wegmans. I know it is in PA,(nowhere near here though) NJ, VA, NY and soon to be MD. Does anyone have one near them? Lucky ducks if you do!! Anyway, it's the BEST grocery store, it really is! In all the places I have lived and traveled, I have never seen a store that even compares to a Wegmans grocery store. It's cool, you can check it out at www.wegmans.com if you want.
Anyway, these guys were disappointed in the grocery stores here as one would expect growing up with Wegmans everywhere. Syracuse also has these GREAT hot dogs called Hoffmann hot dogs and coneys that you can only buy in upstate NY as far as I know. I have family that drives up from Virginia a few times a year and stocks up on them! Collin and I usually buy about 10 packs when we go home too! (We are all out right now :( but our friends are bringing some this weekend!! :)) Syracuse also has salt potatos which I have never seen anywhere else either! They are just small white potatos but you cook them with a ton of salt and dip them in butter...ummm they are so good!
I can't think af anything else that Syracuse is known for except maybe the men's basketball and lacrosse teams, the NY State Fair!, the 2nd biggest mall in the US...:D

I'm originally from Newark, New York (it's between Rochester and Syracuse). Yeah, Wegmans is a nice store. My grandma always sends Zweigle's hot dogs (http://www.zweigles.com/) hot dogs down. I personally think they are disgusting, but the rest of my family loves them. I'm not sure if I've ever had hoffmann's.

jennifert9
07-20-2005, 04:59 PM
KBlaix, I have been to Newark! In fact one of my best friends is a high school math teacher in Newark! What a small world. :D

I have never heard of Zweigles hot dogs but that is probably because I grew up on Hoffmanns, the whole family is addicted so if anyone every brought home Zweigles, they would be outlawed! ;)

rosethecopycat
07-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Dearborn Michigan.
Hometown of Henry Ford. The first 'car' (the quadracycle) was driven for the first time, less than a mile from the house I grew up in.

But, now, Dearborn has another distinction.

Largest Middle Eastern (Arabic speaking) population worldwide. (outside the Middle East)

You can't read the store signs unless you read Arabic, but you can get some wicked fine Middle Eastern food. Yum.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-20-2005, 09:53 PM
KBlaix, I have been to Newark! In fact one of my best friends is a high school math teacher in Newark! What a small world. :D

I have never heard of Zweigles hot dogs but that is probably because I grew up on Hoffmanns, the whole family is addicted so if anyone every brought home Zweigles, they would be outlawed! ;)

How awesome!
Zweigles are from Rochester. Everyone (me being the exception) loves them and would probably react to Hoffmanns the same as your family would to Zweigles. haha

NoahsMommy
07-21-2005, 03:03 AM
I currently live in Calabasas, California. Its referred to as gateway to the Santa Monica Mountains...and is only 9 miles from Malibu.

Calabasas means "gourd or pumpkin" and the Chamber of Commerce has an annual "Pumpkin Festival".

The City's official logo, depicting the red-tailed hawk flying over the Santa Monica Mountains, symbolizes a commitment to preserving the community's natural beauty and semi-rural quality of life.
http://www.cityofcalabasas.com/graphics/toplogo.jpg

Here is what's on the Calabasas History Page:

Indians, explorers, squatters, and bandits are all part of Calabasas history. The Chumash Indians led a peaceful life amidst the rolling hills, making their homes in canyons where streams and springs ensured a plentiful supply of wildlife.
Acorns from the massive old oak trees that thrive in the area formed an important part of their diet. Some of the oaks in Calabasas may be 500-700 years-old today.

Settlements of Chumash Indians named the area Calabasas, a word perhaps descended from the Indian word for "where the wild geese fly." Others think Calabasas comes from the Spanish word for pumpkin or wild gourd.

Spanish expeditions in the 1700's forever changed the Indians’ way of life. The Diary of Miguel Costanso, which documents the Portola expeditions in 1769-1770, refers to encounters with the Chumash in the area. Six years later, the Juan de Anza party camped just west of Calabasas.

El Scorpion, or El Escorpion, a ranch that once occupied a large tract in the west Valley, was granted to three Indians in Calabasas in the 1830's. About 25 years later, Miguel Leonis, the Basque "King of Calabasas" acquired the ranch and 1100 acres by his marriage to Espiritu, an Indian who had inherited the property from her father.

Leonis was often in trouble with the law, hiring gunmen to expand his lands, bribing witnesses and threatening nearby settlers. He was killed in 1889 when he fell from his wagon after removing a band of squatters from his property. Squatter wars and gun fights were a bloody part of Calabasas history. "Inhabitants killed each other off so steadily that a human face is a rarity," wrote Horace Bell in his book on the old west coast.

When large ranches were divided into farms in the late 1800's, families of settlers struggled against poverty and drought. In her book, "Calabasas Girls," Catherine Mulholland brings the era to life with photographs and letters of her ancestors, the Ijams. When water and power came to Owensmouth (Canoga Park), they were happy to leave the difficult life of Calabasas pioneers.

After the turn of the century, several select spots in the Calabasas area developed into weekend respites from the city. Crater Camp in Monte Nido was opened in 1914 as a year-round picnic ground. There are few reminders of the camp today on the site of Malibu Meadows.

The Stunt family developed a homestead on the north slope of Saddle Peak, also in the Monte Nido area. A favorite spot for filming motion pictures, the scenery was ideal for Hollywood. Scenes from such films as Tarzan, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and Stalag 17 were shot in this area, today known as Malibu Creek State Park. Circa 1863, an adobe which was built near the park by a settler named Sepulveda for his wife and 12 children, is now in the process of restoration.

On the north side of Calabasas Road is L.A. Historical Cultural Monument Number One, the Leonis Adobe. When Leonis renovated it in the 1870's, he enlarged it extensively and remodeled it into a Monterey-style house. He and Espiritu made it their home.The recent history of the adobe is one of struggles to save both it and its grounds from destruction. In the 1960's, the threat of razing the adobe to build a supermarket led Kathleen Beachy to purchase the property. Toady, it is a superb monument to a bygone era, with meticulously maintained furnishings and grounds, and serves as an anchor for Old Town Calabasas.

Around 1983, the Plummer House, once the oldest home in West Hollywood, was moved next to the Leonis property. As a young boy, Senor Plummer had visited his neighbors in the Leonis Adobe. The building has been beautifully restored and both the adobe and Plummer House are open for tours.

What is now the Sagebrush Cantina was originally a group of small stores built by Lester Agoure, Sr. in the early 1920's. The parking lot once was the local jail. Outside was the famous hanging tree, dead, but still standing today. It is the identifying logo of the Calabasas Chamber of Commerce.

Lack of water in the Calabasas area was always a major concern. With the founding of the Las Virgenes Municipal Water District in 1958, a water supply was assured, and the area began its development boom.

The first subdivision in Calabasas, called Park Moderne (in Mulwood near Calabasas High School), was a retreat for artists, craftsmen, and writers. It was built on land traded off as part of Sam Cooper Jr.’s homestead in 1928.

The first Calabasas high school was built in 1880 on the south side of Calabasas Road. A second school, built on the same site in 1924-1925, was a one-teacher school for the area until 1948, when it joined with Liberty, Cornell, and Las Virgenes to form the Las Virgenes Unified School District. The former Pelican’s Retreat retains a small portion of the second school building.

A walk on Calabasas Road in the historic Old Town, takes one past several old buildings. The first, west of the Motion Picture Home, was originally a two-story pioneer store and dwelling owned by Charles and Alice Cooper. Called "Hunter’s Inn," it provided rooms for hunters and travelers. After Charles died, his widow married Lawrence Kramer and together they operated a store until his retiring in 1968.

The next building, walking west, is a rebuilt replica of a garage built in 1921 and owned by the Daic brothers. Operated by Joseph, Charles, and Al Daic, descendants of homesteaders, it was originally a two-pump station. It became a popular movie backdrop in the early 1980's. The Daic brothers built a smaller building next door to the garage, where Gaetano’s is now located. A Touch of Class was the residence of Theresa Thilmony, an early beloved school teacher.

The Leonis Plaza was at one time the site of many small buildings constructed in the 1920's. They were shops for artisans, and one was the home of the Las Virgenes Enterprise. This had formerly been a blacksmith shop belonging to Juan Menendez, the son of Espiritu.

Information on the history of Calabasas area is available at the Kathleen Beachy Memorial Library at Pierce College. Established and maintained by the Calabasas Historical Society, the library is available to researchers.

Rachel
07-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Some people say that Geneva reminds them of a New England town. It is known for it's quaint downtown shopping area. Third Street was originally a residential area with older homes. One by one, many of them were converted into shops. Now these shops are interspersed with newer but well designed retail structures. People actually come from Chicago to shop in Geneva. The Little Traveler http://www.littletraveler.com/ is one of the more well known shops in Geneva.

There are also many lovely homes in the historical district of the city. It is fun to see the varied and attractive architecture of an earlier era.

luvofallhorses
07-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Pasties, mining, and Evil Kneviel :rolleyes: and oh yeah farming :p

JenBKR
07-21-2005, 02:35 PM
I am from a small town not know for much of anything, but I live kinda close to Pittsburgh. I know a few things about the 'burgh were already mentioned, but I thought I'd add Permanni (sp?) Brothers sandwiches. I personally think they are gross, but they're VERY popular...they are huge sandwiches with french fries and cole slaw on them.

davidpizzica
07-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by JenBKR
I am from a small town not know for much of anything, but I live kinda close to Pittsburgh. I know a few things about the 'burgh were already mentioned, but I thought I'd add Permanni (sp?) Brothers sandwiches. I personally think they are gross, but they're VERY popular...they are huge sandwiches with french fries and cole slaw on them. Oh Jen! you're making me very hungry for one! I haven't had one in ages.

Bigyummydog
07-21-2005, 06:01 PM
I remember when I was in high school. My lics. plate read...Arkansas~~land of opportunity....Now it reads ~~the natural state. I wonder what happened.

Anyway, Paris, Arkansas, claims to be the gateway to Mt. Magazine. But, what if you're coming from the other side of the mountain? I've seen the sign for the other city, thousands of times, but I can't remember it now.

GraciesMommy
07-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Gracie's mommy..would you believe I've been to Deerpark? My account was Rohm and Haas and I opened up a travel office for them in the facility, one sweltering week in August many years ago! I commuted everyday from the Hilton on Nasa Bay Blvd in Houston!

How neat!! I know exactly where you are talking about!

Twisterdog
07-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Ok ... hold onto your hats ... the excitement of my hometown is sure to blow you away!!!! :rolleyes:

We are known for the world's largest trona deposit. (It's a mineral that is mined for soap, fertilizer, glass, etc.)

And the world's largest pronghorn (antelope) herd.

And in our history, we are known for the Chinese Massacre, where in the early 1900's a group of disgruntled people rounded up and killed a group of Chinese people working on the railroad.

And at various sorid times in our history, the nickname of my home town has been Sin City, USA and/or Murder of the Month Club.

60 Minutes has done a couple of broadcasts about the drugs, corruption, murders and scandals here.

Ooooohhhh, I'm proud! :D

JenBKR
07-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by david p
Oh Jen! you're making me very hungry for one! I haven't had one in ages.

LOL I really don't care for them, but eat one for me! My friends all love to go there, so I just order something with the cole slaw and fries on the side. I get weird looks sometimes. The waiters and waitresses there are amazing though...they never write down your order! Even in a big group, and nothing was messed up. I was impressed

QueenScoopalot
07-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Not exactly my "hometown", but where I am at this point....here's the first thing that came to mind...http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/
I've never been able to stomach the stuff personally. :rolleyes:

ramanth
07-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Eaton Rapids, MI is the "Only Eaton Rapids on Earth". No other city shares the same name. :D

Cataholic
07-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by joycenalex
HEY!!! you forgot skyline chili**BURP**:p

Ah, you are SO right! A tasty delight for both Jonah and I! It maddens Lillycat that I feed Jonah SKYLINE! He L*O*V*E*S it, he he he. I wonder what he would think of White Castles?

christa
07-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Hometown = Morehead, KY = Cave Run Lake, KY Folk Art Center, Morehead State University = boredom

Where I live now = Ashland, KY = Oil Refinery = POLLUTION!

Toby's my baby
07-22-2005, 10:44 AM
The town that i live in (Thief River Falls, MN) is known for Arictic Cat, which is a snowmobile company thing. They manufacture, and build snowmobiles. We also have Digi -Key, I am not sure what exactly it is, I always am told they make parts, for computers and stuff..?? Anyways Digi-Key employess probably 70% of TRF's residents. It is the only Digi-Key in the world.

The school I go to, is one of the best schools in MN, it is ahead of most of the schools in the state.

jennifert9
07-24-2005, 12:58 AM
Well besides the fabulous food Syracuse has, I should also mention the famous people....Tom Cruise was born there but moved to Long Island as a child; Richard Gere is from Syracuse and when he was married to Cindy Crawford, we would often see the 2 of them at midnight mass at church.(His mother lives in the same town as my parents) ALL the Baldwin boys are from Syracuse and come home quite often. I have seen them around towm many times. I actually stood in line at a toy store behind Steven Baldwin once!! :D Their mother still lives there and is very active in the community and the fight against breast cancer. Bobcat Goldwaithe(comedian) is also from Syracuse as is Benny Mardones(singer with a #1 song)
And of course there are the athletes, Derrick Coleman (whom I have met and he is so NOT nice), Jim Brown went to Syracuse University, Carmelo Anthony, who is a sweetheart and SO Nice!! I'm sure there are others but I'm no big on my sports unless its baseball...:D

gemini9961
07-24-2005, 01:16 AM
I can't really say my hometown is known for anything. We have a lot of orange trees so that means a lot of migrant workers. Not anything to be known for though. Oh wait we have a Kumquat Festival annually. Personally, I have never had a Kumquat, don't even know what it looks like. For more info on my little podunk town here's a link.
http://www.dadecityfl.com/

I do like it though, it's quiet and has a lot of history.

Almita
07-24-2005, 01:23 AM
I don't know wat Arizona is but where I live is in Mesa and Mesa means table in spanish so that is what I know.