PDA

View Full Version : LAB afraid of water???

Luvin Labs
07-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Our lab Smokey is afraid of water!

We went to a park one day and he fell in (thought that that was solid ground just a lot of leaves and he stepped and fell in). EVEN BEFORE that though he was chicken to go into the water.

He hates being walked through sprinklers (though its 90 degrees in the shade!)

I went to let him out one day to let him tinkle while it was rainging, got his stuff on, opened patio door, he hightailed it away!

Go figure.

Anyway we can get him to liking water? Or do we just deal with a weirdo dog that should like water but doesn't ?

finn's mom
07-18-2005, 09:53 PM
aw, poor thing! my friend alison had a black lab named cochise (coach for short) and he wouldn't go in the water, either. go figure!

LuckiLab03
07-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Hahahaha :D

My 15 month old Lab, Riley hates water too.. the most she'll do is wipe her feet in the dog bowl at the dog park. She's like a cat with water, if you throw a treat in the babypool she'll just go around and reach her head in.. OR she'll put a foot in and keep the others raised to keep them dry.

My last lab, Brooke absolutley hated water either. Her breeder said that when she was little her litter brothers knocked her into the pond, but she'd always been a scaredy cat anyway.

Riley's always been a pretty brave pup, but ever since we introduced her to her baby pool, she's wanted NOTHING to do with it.

jennifert9
07-18-2005, 11:45 PM
To each, his own I guess!! :D

Duncan doesn't like rain or sprinklers either though but he will go in the water and go swimming. He doesn't "love" water like some dogs but he like to play in streams, creeks, lakes whatever to cool off...
Maybe you can take him somewhere where you can go in with him and that will make him less anxious?

chocolatepuppy
07-19-2005, 05:08 AM
My Mandy, who may have lab or at least have some kind of retriever in her used to love water. My Lacey who doesn't like water, taught Mandy to be afraid of it. Mandy does everything big sissy does.;)

Jamieejo85
07-19-2005, 09:21 AM
We try to get Chico in the pool but he won't come NEAR it but yet he lets us spray him down with water with the hose:rolleyes: :p

Luvin Labs
07-19-2005, 06:48 PM
yeah I'm gonna try something in a week. b/f and I are going camping by a lake and hopefully he'll come in with us...

ah we love him anyway :) just hope he comes in with us instead of hightailing it the other way!

luvofallhorses
07-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Jenny hates water, too! Atleast she acts like it ;) When you get to her a lake, she acts like she has loved water her whole life :)